1990 Volvo 760 Reviews

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.3 turbo 4 cylinder Manual
Most recent distance191000 miles
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

Best car I've ever owned

Small engine oil leak. Local Volvo dealership found and fixed it.

Driver's side power seating doesn't work.

Driver's side heated seats don't work.

Liner above the rear is sagging.

General Comments:

First off, I love Volvo. Their cars are simply amazing, safe, and reliable. So I immediately jumped on the chance to buy this Volvo. No rust, interior is in excellent shape for the age of the car. Starts right up, no matter how cold it is (which is nice for Northern Wisconsin).

The local Volvo dealership said it was the nicest car of that age they've seen in a while.

Driven to The UP and Minnesota a few times with no troubles at all. Seats are extremely comfortable. For being 20 years old, the stereo system is actually pretty legit. The style of the car makes it look much newer than it actually is, and often I get compliments on it when filling her up. I get about 18-20 mpg city, and 21-23 highway. The 6 cylinders are gas guzzlers, but my 4 cylinder isn't as bad.

Excellent turning radius (due to the rear wheel drive). I will admit, it's a pain to drive in the winter with the rear wheel drive.

Heat is HOT, A/C is COLD.

IT'S UNIQUE, I own the only 760 wagon on the road in a town of 40,000. Every once in a while, I'll see another 760 wagon from Illinois come up through, but other than that, no one else has a car like this.

I cannot stress enough how much Volvo drivers respect each other (at least up here in Wisconsin); often times if you're driving a Volvo and see another Volvo driver, you'll flash you lights to say 'hi' to the other driver. If you're trying to turn left on a busy street and another Volvo owner sees it, they'll slow down for you to let you through.

"Clara" as we call her is a work horse. Fill her up with people, gear, and head to the north for a week and you'll be set. I do a TON of hauling in the rear, whether it be dogs or bikes or kayaks. You name it, this Volvo will do what ever it takes to please its driver.

I will end up buying another Volvo in the next year or so (2003-2005 WAGON), but I have no plans on getting rid of my beloved Clara.

I have no doubt these cars will last well beyond 400,000 miles, IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT!

If you can find one, PICK IT UP. No joke, you'll never want to drive anything but a Volvo again.

Volvo = Best car brand ever.

Review Date: 1st November, 2010

16th Nov 2011, 23:51

Update:

After 225,000 miles, I was involved in a side impact collision. I walked away with no scratches. My Volvo saved my life. I miss the wagon, but now in the market for another Volvo!

1990 Volvo 760 GLE 2.4 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 2.4 turbo diesel Automatic
Previous carVolvo 740

Summary:

A great all rounder

Had oil leak just before my holidays.

General Comments:

I always feel safe in the car. It's so comfortable to drive on long journeys. It may not have very quick acceleration, but it is very good to handle in any situation.

Review Date: 22nd June, 2009

1990 Volvo 760 2.3L turbo Intercooled from North America

Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 2.3L turbo Intercooled Automatic
Previous carAMC Javelin

Summary:

I love this car, and would gladly and quickly buy another like it

I replaced all front suspension parts.

I replaced all brake rotors, and pads.

I replaced the exhaust from the cat back.

I had to rebuild the entire electrical system inside the car because of a crook tearing out the dash to get the stereo and DVD player.

General Comments:

I bought the car for $350 as a theft recovery, the interior had been gutted, but the exterior was pristine.

The car is very quick and with the above mentioned parts is very reliable, and handles very well for a 3500lb car.

I recently drove the car from Seattle, WA to Morgantown, WV (a distance of 2750 miles) without incident or worry.

I love the rear wheel drive, and am surprised at the power and responsiveness of the turbocharged 4 cylinder.

Review Date: 15th January, 2009