Volvo C30 Reviews - Page 2 of 2

Model year2008
Year of manufacture2007
Engine and transmission 2.5L 5-cylinder Manual
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

I will make any excuse to go driving in my little speed Volvo hatch

The fuel gauge dropped to 0 a few times during one of my drives. It hasn't occurred again, but it was really odd. I called the dealer and they haven't heard of anything like that before, so I'm supposed to just keep my eye on it.

I think I have a loose/spongy motor mount. I can feel it under hard acceleration. I have to confirm this at the dealer however.

General Comments:

This is an enjoyably powerful vehicle. I can hold my own against many other higher class vehicles, i.e. Audi, BMW, etc. It hits maximum torque at 1500 rpm and stays there until about 5000 rpm. My friend's R32 can still own me though.

The handling is excellent. I can take 90 degree curves on the interstate at 100 mph without worrying about loss of control, on a newer set of tires that is.

It's a bit heavy for the size, 3300 pounds. It feels solid when driving.

The inside is the best part about it! I love the floating console. The seats are folds more comfortable than my wife's 2006 BMW 325i. I have the DynAudio stereo system and it sounds great up until the last 2 clicks of the volume, which is when some of the speakers begin to fart. The material for the interior feels really nice on the hands. I have the sport steering wheel and shifter, and the grip is really comfortable. Volvo paid attention to the little details, even the wheels that open and close the AC vents are made of the same soft compound.

I really enjoy the keyless drive feature, I no longer find it a pain to lock up my car. I drove a Civic CX, and locking/unlocking really annoyed me. To lock the car when you're exiting, you have to simultaneously pry the door handle as you push the lock mechanism in, or use the key after you shut the door. On the Volvo, I hit a button on the outer door handle as I walk away. To unlock, I just open the frickin' door, wonderful!

I've driven my friends around, they have nothing, but praises for the back seat. It has 2 independent bucket seat and plenty of space. The only disadvantage there is that you can't sleep comfortably in the back seat, which is what my wife liked to do in my Civic when I was taking too long to leave.

The hatch is very spacious for most uses, but the design doesn't allow you to insert one large object that would easily fit inside, the opening is too narrow. When we picked up our 42" flat screen from Best Buy, we had to remove it from the box to set it inside the hatch (TV fits easily, big box doesn't).

I used to drive a 2000 Civic hatch with a JDM GSR motor swapped into it. The car was quick, but required me to rev past 7000 to get that power. Because it was a swap, it required custom work, which I did myself when my friend ran a garage. I thought I would never get rid of that car, but when I first laid eyes on this C30, temptation sank in.

Review Date: 15th December, 2007

14th Mar 2008, 00:59

Nothing was wrong with the motor mounts or suspension, Volvo told me that Manual transmissions produce a rougher ride since they lack the dampening systems present on an automatic transmission. As of now I've put 8600 miles on the car and still loving it.

12th Jun 2008, 12:23

That's a good one! Must remember that dealer statement, I'll add it to the list with such classics, like "it sounds normal to me sir" and "I assure you sir, it was like that when you left it here!"

29th Jan 2010, 11:31

"I can take 90 degree curves on the interstate at 100 mph without worrying about loss of control"

LOL, if there were 90 degree turns on the interstate there would be a lot more happening than just losing control...

27th Dec 2010, 21:00

I rented a C30 Volvo from Budget, and was very impressed. It had surprising power and very good gas mileage. A very good looking car.