2000 Volvo S70 Reviews

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.4 B5254 168hp Automatic
Previous carVolvo 850

Summary:

Safe and secure -- Maintain to the letter, and you won't be dissatisfied

Eats light bulbs.

A/C compressor bearings worn.

General Comments:

Terrifically comfortable and safe. Like the 850 I owned before it, the S70 will stand up to severe usage and a very heavy foot.

Like most Volvos, it's really at home on the highway, especially at higher speeds. The five-cylinder engine pulls nicely, and sounds great, but does have an appetite for fuel in the city (11.3L/100km).

The overall drive is quieter and more refined than the 850 preceding it, although the front end components are fragile as before, and the five speed automatic transmission's durability is suspect, thanks to an occasional miscommunication with the electronic throttle.

Overall, a luxurious and pleasant vehicle to drive, that lends a real sense of safety and security while behind the wheel.

Review Date: 12th February, 2011

19th Oct 2011, 13:50

Wow. Was I ever wrong about the standing up to severe usage!

In only 20K, I replaced the A/C compressor (which I knew about when I bought it), a turn signal relay, the coolant sensor, coolant expansion tank, a brake flex hose (which ruptured and left me with no brakes down a hill. Fun!)

Then repaired the exhaust after it developed a hole before the catalytic converter, and finally the Continuously Variable Valve Timing unit worked itself loose, delaying the cam timing, which caused a few of the valves to collide with two of the pistons.

Before that engine failure, the check engine light would go on at least once a week (then disappear, thanks to the electronic throttle being a little slow), and the transmission would shift somewhat erratically from time to time.

So I sold it to a mechanic, and went back to another 850 Sedan.

2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE 2.4 I5 LPT from North America

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.4 I5 LPT Automatic
Previous carVolvo 240

Summary:

Quick, cheap, comfortable, safe, durable - The Volvo S70 GLT SE

Like all S70s, the door panels are delaminated.

The door lock actuators are weak and need replacing.

Right front strut mount had to be replaced.

General Comments:

I bought this car to be used as a commuter car, and it serves its purpose well. I was looking at a cheap (<$7,500) car to drive back and forth to work, and wanted something European. I had my heart set on a VW Jetta VR6, but I was afraid due to reliability. I went with a Volvo, as I and my family have always had good experiences with them.

I found a 1-Owner S70 GLT SE with only 50k miles, and I jumped on it! However, cosmetically it was not perfect and required some work, nothing serious, it just had 10 years worth of nicks, scratches, dings, etc. I bought the car for $6k, and I think I did very well considering I've put nearly 20k miles on it, and haven't had any issues, other than maintenance or stuff I already knew about.

It's fairly cheap to operate, if you shop around on parts and avoid the dealer. I use an indie Volvo shop, and couldn't be happier.

It's super comfortable and gets 25-26mpg routinely. 2nd hand Volvos are incredible value, always buy them used and take advantage of 'Swedish Depreciation'.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2010

2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE from North America

Previous carChevrolet Suburban

Summary:

I love it

"GLT SE" means "grand luxury turbo", and the turbo blew, and started to leak oil into the gas tank.

The leather seats have also worn really badly.

General Comments:

Awesome car, I would recommend it to anyone if they still manufactured it. But the "GLT" is "grand luxury turbo", and the turbo blew, so I would try to get the regular or "SE" edition.

Review Date: 4th October, 2010

2000 Volvo S70 SE 2.5i from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5i Automatic
Previous carSAAB 9000

Summary:

It's pretty much everything I need in a car!

Bulb failures (super cheap & easy to replace though)

Parking brake is acting up... sometimes doesn't disengage completely at first, when cold. More of an annoyance than anything really.

Rear brake discs have become slightly warped and scored, though within acceptable limits.

Some rattling in the dash sometimes... grr...

General Comments:

Overall, pretty good!

Sometimes I wish it had more power, but chances are I'd just end up getting a lot of speeding tickets. So, I guess the power could be called "adequate".

I was hoping to get a rear drive car, but this is pretty good as far as front drives go-- It handles solidly, without torque steer or any weird stuff. It's fabulous in the snow, though!

If there's one piece of advice I can give on this car, it's to keep it maintained. Change the fluids (brake, coolant, oil, etc) regularly, and have it serviced and inspected by a good indie mechanic. This is true of any car, but with a Volvo, you'll be able to keep it for years and years...

Review Date: 13th November, 2006