2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE 2.3 from North America

Summary:

A safe, comfortable, high-performance ride

The turn-signal/emergency flasher control failed.

The crash sensor for airbag deployment failed.

The steering column ring antenna (for the encrypted ignition key) started to fail.

A relay for the electric right-rear passenger window failed.

General Comments:

This car has lots of power and gets excellent gas mileage.

The seats are very comfortable and the various instrument controls are well placed.

The electronic climate control system works very well.

I have experienced a few problems, all related to electrical issues, but they have all been fixed under warranty.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2002

10th Apr 2006, 13:18

I owned a 2000 Volvo S70 GLT for about 2 years. I bought the car through the Army Air Force Forces Exchange Service's Volvo Purchase Program. The program saved me about $6K off the regular sticker price and I paid nothing in taxes to boot. Although I did like the car and still think it's a classy design, the car had so many electrical problems I eventually traded it on a more reliable Toyota. In less than 20K miles I replaced both front headlights, the drivers power seat motor, a rear taillight and had the battery replaced 3 times. Of course the service from Volvo was great and it was all under warranty, but I was concerned about what would happen once the warranty expired and I had to start paying for the $350 headlights.

2000 Volvo S70 Classic 2.4 L gas from Finland

Summary:

The best car for this price?

The window started to split because it got hit by a small stone, a common problem with cars, and it was fixed with a drill. No real problems with this Volvo.

General Comments:

S70, the 2.4L 125kw model, is a very good car on the road and in towns. Suspension is a bit firm, but comfortable - the car doesn't swing through corners. It gets to 100 km/h in below 10 seconds, and that is fast enough for a car with an automatic gearbox. You don't really need a faster car in Finland or the U.S. The car is close to perfect to drive in this price class.

We've got a Classic model which means that we got leather seats and automatic gearbox for free (the last S70 series). The car's cheaper than most of its rivals, so you can call it a good bargain.

Still, a car like this cost £22000 in Finland, because we've got a 70% car tax :(, and gas costs close to £1 per litre. But I'm not complaining. Back to the subject, it's a very good car, buy it if you can!

Review Date: 25th August, 2001

27th Jun 2010, 12:47

I bought my 2000 S70 used, and have had it seven years. I have replaced the electronic throttle sensor (under extended warranty), most of the front end parts, distributor, and struts, and the usual wear items.

I replaced the struts with Monroe, and am very pleased.

I now have 145,000 miles. I have owned Volvo's since 1981. I still have a 1986 740 turbo/manual, which I've had for twenty one years.

I like this car, although it will be my last Volvo. My first was a 240D. It doesn't have the solid feel of the older Volvo's.

I do like the anti-whiplash seats and the unibody construction. It's too light for my taste, but I keep it because it has never broken down or failed to start, and around town it's great.

I guess the moment of truth will come if I have to replace the transmission. Remember, it was the last model made before Ford got their hands on the company. It was still made with Swedish and German parts.

2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE 2.4 low pressure turbo from North America

This vehicle has been an electrical nightmare. My turning signals circuit had to be replaced, my battery has died while driving due to a malfunction in the ground wire, and the check engine light has lit up repeatedly for no reason.

I love the performance and ride, but these things make me question the reliability of the car. I don't have complete trust in the car now.

Review Date: 14th November, 2000