2000 Volvo S70 SE 2.5i from North America

It's pretty much everything I need in a car!

Bulb failures (super cheap & easy to replace though)

Parking brake is acting up... sometimes doesn't disengage completely at first, when cold. More of an annoyance than anything really.

Rear brake discs have become slightly warped and scored, though within acceptable limits.

Some rattling in the dash sometimes... grr...

General Comments:

Overall, pretty good!

Sometimes I wish it had more power, but chances are I'd just end up getting a lot of speeding tickets. So, I guess the power could be called "adequate".

I was hoping to get a rear drive car, but this is pretty good as far as front drives go-- It handles solidly, without torque steer or any weird stuff. It's fabulous in the snow, though!

If there's one piece of advice I can give on this car, it's to keep it maintained. Change the fluids (brake, coolant, oil, etc) regularly, and have it serviced and inspected by a good indie mechanic. This is true of any car, but with a Volvo, you'll be able to keep it for years and years...

Review Date: 13th November, 2006

12th Jun 2014, 11:08

I've been driving Volvo cars since 1979. The number one reason is safety, of my passengers and myself. These cars, just like others, have issues as well. I've driven a 940SE (year 1991) up to 280k km. Enjoyed this car, but it needed an expensive Nivomat leveling system. Engine and body, interior and outside, were still in great shape.

I recently purchased an S70 SE non turbo engine with 129k km only. So far it's a great car. The only thing lacking is turbo power, but the basic engine is great for what I paid ($2,500) on June 11, 2014. Hopefully I can keep the car for another 15 years, just like my Volvo 940SE; still a great car when I purchased it back in 1992.

2000 Volvo S70 from North America

Will never own another Volvo

Four way flasher.

Front end.

Hood does not pop up correctly.

Seat belt buckle is hard to undo.

Power window switch failed.

Remote control fell apart.

Brake caliper seized.

Doesn't start below -25C.

General Comments:

Pretty inside and out. I love the way it looks, and I get comments.

Nice riding and handling.

Unreliable and expensive to fix. Very expensive to keep running, due to the frequency of repair.

Review Date: 11th February, 2006

21st Dec 2015, 04:35

I owned many Volvos, and I can say the S70s are the most reliable cars of all brands for 2000... The failures you have are minor compared to another brand, so why put Volvos down? Besides, those problems are not because it's a Volvo, but because it's a car, and cars need maintenance, regardless of the brand.

7th Oct 2017, 20:55

I am a Volvos only owner also. I think the general users forget that all cars with age have parts/components fail and that's very true if you're not maintaining any car. Plus, like all most other car manufacturers, the parts are rebranded parts for Volvo. And if you're not installed the OEM equivalent part for so called reduced costs, you're not saving any money if you have to have it done over again.

2000 Volvo S70 Std 2.4L non-turbo from North America

Safe when it's running

Let's see: multiple issues with front suspension squeaks, that required replacement of both controller arms and bushings. Also replaced the engine mount because it squeaked.

The A/C!! Oh, here's the good one... At 45k a "sensor" failed. At 60k, the A/C was blowing warm moist air again; this time a Freon reload. Then today, they now know that my A/C compressor has failed and needs to be replaced at $1060.

Also, my engine has developed a clicking sound (cylinder slapping) that is caused by faulty O-rings in the engine.. cost = $570. That's right, in one day my cost of ownership has jumped $1500.

General Comments:

So, if you want a car that is safe and you don't plan on driving, this car may make it. In my experience, I've spent way too much time at the shop, and now too much money. Check out www.brickboard.com for all the Volvo owner experiences.

Best seats known to man, and my service rep. was a nice guy.

Review Date: 5th June, 2003