2000 Volvo S70 Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2000 Volvo S70 from North America

Previous carVolvo 940

Summary:

Will never own another Volvo

Four way flasher.

Alternator.

Front end.

Hood does not pop up correctly.

Seat belt buckle is hard to undo.

Power window switch failed.

Remote control fell apart.

Brake caliper seized.

Doesn't start below -25C.

General Comments:

Pretty inside and out. I love the way it looks, and I get comments.

Nice riding and handling.

Unreliable and expensive to fix. Very expensive to keep running, due to the frequency of repair.

Review Date: 11th February, 2006

2000 Volvo S70 Std 2.4L non-turbo from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4L non-turbo Manual
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Safe when it's running

Let's see: multiple issues with front suspension squeaks, that required replacement of both controller arms and bushings. Also replaced the engine mount because it squeaked.

The A/C!! Oh, here's the good one... At 45k a "sensor" failed. At 60k, the A/C was blowing warm moist air again; this time a Freon reload. Then today, they now know that my A/C compressor has failed and needs to be replaced at $1060.

Also, my engine has developed a clicking sound (cylinder slapping) that is caused by faulty O-rings in the engine.. cost = $570. That's right, in one day my cost of ownership has jumped $1500.

General Comments:

So, if you want a car that is safe and you don't plan on driving, this car may make it. In my experience, I've spent way too much time at the shop, and now too much money. Check out www.brickboard.com for all the Volvo owner experiences.

Best seats known to man, and my service rep. was a nice guy.

Review Date: 5th June, 2003

2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE 2.3 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carVolvo 850

Summary:

A safe, comfortable, high-performance ride

The turn-signal/emergency flasher control failed.

The crash sensor for airbag deployment failed.

The steering column ring antenna (for the encrypted ignition key) started to fail.

A relay for the electric right-rear passenger window failed.

General Comments:

This car has lots of power and gets excellent gas mileage.

The seats are very comfortable and the various instrument controls are well placed.

The electronic climate control system works very well.

I have experienced a few problems, all related to electrical issues, but they have all been fixed under warranty.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2002

10th Apr 2006, 13:18

I owned a 2000 Volvo S70 GLT for about 2 years. I bought the car through the Army Air Force Forces Exchange Service's Volvo Purchase Program. The program saved me about $6K off the regular sticker price and I paid nothing in taxes to boot. Although I did like the car and still think it's a classy design, the car had so many electrical problems I eventually traded it on a more reliable Toyota. In less than 20K miles I replaced both front headlights, the drivers power seat motor, a rear taillight and had the battery replaced 3 times. Of course the service from Volvo was great and it was all under warranty, but I was concerned about what would happen once the warranty expired and I had to start paying for the $350 headlights.

2000 Volvo S70 Classic 2.4 L gas from Finland

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.4 L gas Automatic
Most recent distance42000 kilometres
Previous carVolvo S40

Summary:

The best car for this price?

The window started to split because it got hit by a small stone, a common problem with cars, and it was fixed with a drill. No real problems with this Volvo.

General Comments:

S70, the 2.4L 125kw model, is a very good car on the road and in towns. Suspension is a bit firm, but comfortable - the car doesn't swing through corners. It gets to 100 km/h in below 10 seconds, and that is fast enough for a car with an automatic gearbox. You don't really need a faster car in Finland or the U.S. The car is close to perfect to drive in this price class.

We've got a Classic model which means that we got leather seats and automatic gearbox for free (the last S70 series). The car's cheaper than most of its rivals, so you can call it a good bargain.

Still, a car like this cost £22000 in Finland, because we've got a 70% car tax :(, and gas costs close to £1 per litre. But I'm not complaining. Back to the subject, it's a very good car, buy it if you can!

Review Date: 25th August, 2001

27th Jun 2010, 12:47

I bought my 2000 S70 used, and have had it seven years. I have replaced the electronic throttle sensor (under extended warranty), most of the front end parts, distributor, and struts, and the usual wear items.

I replaced the struts with Monroe, and am very pleased.

I now have 145,000 miles. I have owned Volvo's since 1981. I still have a 1986 740 turbo/manual, which I've had for twenty one years.

I like this car, although it will be my last Volvo. My first was a 240D. It doesn't have the solid feel of the older Volvo's.

I do like the anti-whiplash seats and the unibody construction. It's too light for my taste, but I keep it because it has never broken down or failed to start, and around town it's great.

I guess the moment of truth will come if I have to replace the transmission. Remember, it was the last model made before Ford got their hands on the company. It was still made with Swedish and German parts.

2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE 2.4 low pressure turbo from North America