2004 Volvo XC90 T6 2.9L from North America

Summary:

Great family car

We ordered this car new from the Massachusetts dealer in late 2003, and had the dealer do all of the service for the first 90000 miles. Since then we've been using a very trustworthy independent Volvo mechanic.

Volvo's are not cheap to keep… having owned at least 1 for the last 31 years… and the XC90 is no exception. However, the day that we feared would come arrived three days ago when our transmission died. I suppose that I should feel fortunate that we got 170,000 miles out of the original transmission, given the experience of many other owners who are on their 3rd or 4th transmission with fewer miles. Our dealer has offered to replace the dead unit with a new transmission to the tune of $5500+. They'll also give us a 2 year warranty.

My wife loves this car, so we'll likely go ahead with the new tranny in the hope that we can get another 50000 miles out of it. If we make it that far with this car, Volvo will need to do something truly spectacular to keep us as a customer.

General Comments:

Very comfortable car to drive on long trips, but the car eats tires. Our last set of Michelin MXM4's cost $1150.

Review Date: 17th December, 2013

21st Dec 2013, 17:16

170k out of any automatic is good going... your best bet is to buy a newer one! The later XC90's are great cars and don't suffer the gearbox issues of earlier cars. Look for a 2007 or newer model, and you'll probably have no problems with the gearbox :-)

XC90s are great cars - well done Volvo!

2004 Volvo XC90 from North America

General Comments:

Here we go. Just bought a Volvo 2004 XC90, 77000 miles on it, after the Volvo 2003 S80 saved my 17 year old's life.

Well guess what, he was driving home the other night, and had an aggressive shift and now a service transmission light. I guess that his will cost me money I don't have.

Hoping that Volvo and the after market warranty with ease the pain... not looking forward to what is to come... fix it and sell it...

Review Date: 16th September, 2013

17th Sep 2013, 15:45

I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 Diesel here in the UK with manual gearbox... I would never buy anything else other than Volvo. I have a baby boy and a brilliant wife, and this is the SAFEST car I can buy and put them in.

Luckily I won't have the transmission problems, but if anything did go wrong, I would just fix it because you can't put a value on loved ones... Besides, it's up to 112,000 miles and giving 38 MPG. Replaced a 2005 V70 with 296,000 miles! And we have a 2003 C70 with 211,000 miles. ALL would have got me anywhere... great cars.

11th Oct 2013, 15:16

The T6 had transmission issues. V8, 2.5LT, had no transmission issues. What was the model of your XC90?

2004 Volvo XC90 Turbo from North America

Summary:

Will never purchase another Volvo again

Transmission shot at 110K miles and replaced by Volvo NA.

Transmission shot again at 165K, and dealing with Volvo NA to get replacement.

General Comments:

Beautiful looking piece of junk.

Review Date: 10th June, 2013

28th Jun 2013, 17:35

Any idea if the truck was abused before you got it? That doesn't sound like wear and tear.

30th Jun 2013, 11:44

To be fair to Volvo, they are replacing the gearbox for you; that's more than Lexus did with my RX300 - now that was a piece of junk. The gearbox went in that too, but Lexus didn't want to know. It was refined, but my current Volvo XC90 is far better in every other way!

11th Oct 2013, 15:22

I have an RX300. They are notorious for oil sludge issues. Had to replace the engine, but it's been pretty much bullet proof after the engine replacement. No tranny problems.

Our Volvo 2.5L turbo was very comfortable; no engine or tranny problems.