1987 Yugo GV Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1987 Yugo GV 1.1 from North America

Distance when acquired20000 miles
Previous carYugo GV

Summary:

I love it

The drivers side seat has begun to wear out. The starter had to be replaced right after I bought it, along with all the vaccumhoses and the bushings. I am having some kind of either gas or carburetor problem now. What happens, is that when it is damp and cold the car will just shut down. I can get no power at all. After I let it sit for 2 or more hours or spray starter fluid into the carb, it will start. Has any one else had this problem? If so, what is the solution?

Review Date: 19th March, 2003

1987 Yugo GV 1.1 liter from North America

Engine and transmission 1.1 liter Manual
Previous carVolkswagen VW Golf

Summary:

Maybe not all are great, But mine sure is

Since I Purchased the vehicle, the only thing I have done to it is keep the gas tank full. I have had no problems.

Without exaggeration I use this car to commute daily a 35 mile drive one way over a 7000 ft grade.

General Comments:

The interior even if bare and basic, I feel is adequate for the average person. Taller drivers might not like it since headroom is at a minimum.

I am 6'5 and my head is against the inside roof of the car. But this is I feel rather my problem then any fault of the car.

The back lip on the hatch back part does seem quite high for such a small car which makes loading and unloading of groceries etc more difficult than should be necessary.

Review Date: 15th March, 2003

12th Nov 2006, 15:10

You have a running Yugo with over 100,000 miles. Congratulations, this is a pretty amazing thing. I'd like to see more of these on the road. So far, in six years in Dallas-Fort Worth I have seen two.

6th Jul 2007, 14:43

I have 2 Yugo's with over 100,000 miles and still going.

1987 Yugo GV 1.3 injected from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 1.3 injected Manual
Distance when acquired32000 miles
Previous carFiat 124

Summary:

Surprisingly good car for the pocket change I paid for it

I cant think of anything wrong with the car that wasn't a result of user error.

General Comments:

I purchased the car on a lark because it was $75. I find that I am more and more impressed with this little piece of junk every time I drive it. I was impressed enough to buy a second one for $50 a few months ago.

The only problems I've had with the car were my own fault (like not cleaning out the fuel tank that sat full for eight years).

Parts mostly need to be mail ordered but they are -all- available. It's a Fiat 128 made under license, and Fiat 128's are still being made in half a dozen countries.

Review Date: 6th April, 2001

3rd Feb 2005, 14:10

It's actualy a Fiat 127, not a 128...

23rd Nov 2007, 20:45

I have a 1987 Yugo which I really enjoy driving. It has air conditioning, in the summer it tends to heat up, and I am forced to stop and let the motor cool down for a while. I have had the raidatior serviced, but it still heats up! Any suggestions? JC California.

1987 Yugo GV 1.1 gas from Yugoslavia

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 1.1 gas Manual

Summary:

The most under-appreciated car in history

The clutch cable broke twice. But that's pretty much it.

General Comments:

Yugos rule!!! If someone hadn't stolen it and ran it into a tree, I'm sure I'd still own it.

Review Date: 10th July, 2000

15th Dec 2000, 19:54

I only had my Yugo for 2 years, and it was the BEST bargain car ever! The only problem I had was a broken belt and the starter that went out on me... but this was my fault. I used an engine degreaser that accidentally saturated the starter. I suspect the belt deteriorated from the degreaser too.

Anyway, I only sold it because Yugo America went bankrupt... and I did not realize that the entire mechanical workings of the vehicle were that of a Fiat, otherwise I would have kept it. Never gave me a headache. I miss my YUGO.