1988 Acura Integra LS 1.6 from North America

Summary:

I'd buy another if Acura made it

These cars were known for wearing out mufflers. The condensation caused muffler rust. Getting a lifetime warranty on an after market or OEM muffler is the best solution for this car. I had replaced the muffler twice since owning it.

The CV boot rubber cracked and needed replacement. This is common on all front wheel drive cars.

General Comments:

I had owned a new 1988 Integra RS until it was rear ended in 2001. That car had 230000 KM. The car ran flawlessly. Regular maintenance kept it going and going!

When I purchased my 1989 Integra LS, it ran just as well. The better interior and sunroof was very nice. The drive was the same as the 1988.

The 1988 and 1989 Integra model were the best in my opinion. They were reliable, low maintenance, and so much fun to drive. The manual 5 speed was buttery smooth. The engine was responsive and quick. This car cornered precisely. Parallel parking was easy.

If you ever come across this car in decent condition, don't hesitate to buy it.

Review Date: 17th August, 2010

1988 Acura Integra LS 1.6 from North America

Summary:

I hope it lasts another 22 years!!

I had to tune up the motor, as the original owner before me followed the service manual to a tee!!!

General Comments:

This car has been very reliable.

It has cost me so far to date $200.00.

I live in Canada, so the only major expense was to purchase snow tires.

Review Date: 25th January, 2010

25th Jan 2010, 11:48

Glad you like your Integra, don't forget that at 100-110 km you'll have to do a timing belt and waterpump job. Fairly simple, however it's labour intensive.

12th Feb 2010, 09:28

The car was stored for some time before I purchased it.

The old owner did the timing belt and water pump before I bought it!!!

1988 Acura Integra LS from North America

Summary:

Packs a punch in a small stylish package

After I purchased this car in 2005, I have replaced the following:

1. Battery

2. Distributor system

3. Exhaust pipe since there was a hole

4. Clutch plate

General Comments:

Excellent car. Bought the 1988 Acura in 2005 and have had no problems with drive and maintenance. Very simple to maintain and fun to drive.

In the 4.5 years I have owned this car, I have had no major issues. Performance is unbelievable and always brings a smile when I drive it.

I have to sell this car some time soon since I have 2 other cars. A 1999 Nissan Altima and a 2009 Toyota Camry.

But the Acura is still my favorite.

Review Date: 8th July, 2009

1988 Acura Integra from North America

Summary:

It's a wonderful compact car

The brake rotors were warped when I bought it, but I changed them easily myself.

General Comments:

It was a great car. I bought it for 700 dollars. I drove it back and forth from Texas to Washington D.C., and it never missed a beat.

The car had quite a lot of pep and maneuverability, and got great gas mileage.

I would definitely have another Acura.

Review Date: 13th September, 2008

1988 Acura Integra LS DOHC from North America

Summary:

I love love love this car

I have replaced a ton of things on this car.

Clutch (twice)

CV boots

Tie rods

Timing belt

Alternator went

Steering belt went

Bumpers on these cars fall off (had to replace)

Exhaust - many times

A/C is on its way out.

General Comments:

This is a sports car which MOVES. Handles great, shifts fantastic. Tons of power off the line. Lots of room in back (like a small pickup truck). I can't seem to give it up, I love it beyond all reason.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2007

1988 Acura Integra RS 1.6 from North America

Summary:

This a keeper when properly maintained

Normal wear and tear after 19 years.

General Comments:

This is a very reliable, trouble free, and easy to maintain car.

It has an excellent gas mileage at normal speed.

I bought the car brand new in 1988 and never had any major problems with it. I only have good things to say about this car.

Review Date: 16th August, 2007

1988 Acura Integra RS 1.6 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Not *quite* as fast as a Mustang GT, but WAY more agile!

Driver seat has a wear hole in it. I just replaced the muffler and resonator ($145)

I bought the car from a mechanic who had already replaced the Rear Main Seal, Clutch, Compressor.

I just bought this car to use as a commuter vehicle. I have a Ford F150 that was my daily driver, but at 14MPG and a 54 mile round trip to the office every day, the $2.80 per gallon gas cost were eating me alive! This car appears to have been well maintained mechanically, but only time will tell if reliability holds for me.

General Comments:

Performance!!!

I used to manage a Ford Dealership and have owned around 35 cars and driven just about everything on the road. I was shocked that this car only has a 1.6L engine. Unbelievable! It hauls azz. I am having a genuine blast zooming around in this little rocket.

Review Date: 18th May, 2006