1988 Acura Integra RS 1.6 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Excellent car

The car has developed some minor oil leaks, possibly the oil pan.

Speedometer cable snapped. $40 fix.

Interior shows its age, IE: seats torn, weathered dash and trim.

General Comments:

This car is very reliable. Everything works.

The Ac blows ice cold. Engine stays cool even on hot days.

The car is also very fast for its looks. I beat newer 4 and 6 cylinder cars that are naturally aspirated most of the time.

It's fun to drive.

Review Date: 29th July, 2005

1988 Acura Integra LX 1.6 from North America

Summary:

A good car, but an expensive repair

So far the only thing that's gone wrong with it is the repair I just did as of 1/11/05: replaced ignition & distributor after failure of both.

General Comments:

After owning this manual transmission Integra for a bit over 2 weeks, the above repairs were necessary after one failed and led to the failure of the other according to a Firestone diagnostic.

I was new to driving manual with it, which probably didn't help, but it's a little disappointing that such an expensive ($400) repair would be necessary so quickly after purchasing it.

Fortunately, it appears to have good mpg (30-35) and I can tell it's quality despite it's age. It also has a good interior and the stock accessories, such as sunroof, are great. However, since I'm a college student, I hope this trend of necessary repairs doesn't continue or I'll be forced to sell it.

Review Date: 11th January, 2005

19th Mar 2005, 22:27

Owner of the car here - I'm selling this vehicle so if you want any information, e-mail me at saviormike@yahoo.com (Wisconsin area).

1988 Acura Integra Special Edition D16 from North America

Summary:

If it is possible for a car to choose its owner, I believe this car chose me

* found in salvage yard: no clutch.

* replaced both drive axles.

* replaced alternator. (twice)

* replaced radiator.

* replaced distributer (twice)

* leaks oil at head gasket.

General Comments:

I was in the salvage yard looking for parts for my 240z when this little Acura called to me like a puppy. I brought her and had her towed to my garage. With the Vin number, I had a key cut and with a fresh Battery, she started right up. Full tank of gas too. I fixed the clutch and the items mentioned previously and she won my heart. I drive her exclusively and she has never let me down.

Review Date: 22nd July, 2004

1988 Acura Integra LS 1.6 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Luxurious, sporty, fast and inexpensive

I completely fried what was left of the clutch at about 210800km, right after I bought her. Had the clutch and left CV axle replaced at the same time, as the boot was torn and the joint was toast.

Original Honda muffler had a gaping hole in it when I bought the car. Replaced it with a Dynomax SuperTurbo muffler.

Original Honda starter finally gave up at about 235000km, the solenoid was shot. Since a new solenoid cost almost the same as a complete starter, it got a new starter.

At 247000km (now) the left rear caliper is starting to seize up, the parking brake on that wheel doesn't work at all. The right CV axle might be going soon, and the oxygen sensor is probably toast, since the ECU is throwing a code indicating this. Other than that, the car still runs perfectly.

General Comments:

I can't say how much I love this car. It's fast, has very peppy acceleration, sticks to the road and hugs the corners beautifully. The shift throw is not very short, but still crisp. Gas mileage is usually very consistant, giving me almost 10km/litre in the summer, and slightly less in the winter. It's a pleasure to drive. Cabin noise on the highway can be a little loud, but it's still a very comfortable ride, and two people can still have a conversation.

Review Date: 4th December, 2003

1988 Acura Integra LS 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Help with charging system, ECU, retractor warning lamp

I'll start with the most recent and pressing concern, the charging system.

I have been unable to drive the car for some time now, due to in my opinion, its complex charging system. The alternator is controlled by the ECU and the ELD (an integral part of the "under dash fuse box". To make troubleshooting difficult, if not impossible in the driveway, one can do very little testing due primarily to the solid state ECU (do not check for continuity). The alternator has been bench-tested, the battery is new, continuity has been checked in as many harness wires as could be, and of course the fuses are all good.

Just to make it more puzzling, the headlight retractor warning light is on, but the retractor system seems to be fine. I have read about later model Civics with ELD problems, but have not come across anything about Integras with any of these symptoms.

As of now, I am faced with the terrifying option of bringing the car to a dealership $$$$ as I suspect the ECU to be at fault. The factory diagnostic book has a recommendation to substitute "a known good ECU" as a last resort ; high-tech huh! :)

A/C died several years ago. Manny, Moe, and Jack quoted $1,100.00 to replace the whole system because it was "run dry". My understanding of the system is that it has a pressure switch to cut the compressor off if the refrigerant drops too low to prevent it from "running dry". I guess the switch must have failed first.

Water leaks - I thought the sun roof was the problem for some time, but not so. The plastic cowling at the bottom of the windshield has shrunk and distorted allowing water to flow under it and cascade into the fresh air duct. The trunk area was leaking due to a rust spot caused by an unsealed body weld at the hatch opening, and water leaking in around the tail lights.

I did have one good experience with the ECU. It did get me back on the road quickly when the crank angle sensor went out. A specific code and clear step by step diagnostics in the factory books was the key to a quick repair.

General Comments:

The car is to fun to give up on just yet, but I'm at my wits end with the electrical problem. Email helpful tips or web sites to nolakite@bellsouth.net or stephen_bladsacker@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Review Date: 27th November, 2003

25th Feb 2004, 11:14

Most hondas/acuras charging systems have the choke circuit linked to the alternator circuit, so if the alternator checks out then I would look at one of the components in the fuel enrichment circuit.

24th Oct 2004, 08:59

www.g1teg.org for all the help you need.