1988 Acura Integra Reviews - Page 3 of 5

First year of ownership1988
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Manual
Most recent distance203000 miles
Previous carAcura N/A

Summary:

A great deal just keep up on the maintenance. Easy enough to do yourself

1 Distributer (100K), 1 clutch (130K, Transmission (150K), Water pump (180K), A/C (dryer only), 1 Alternator (? miles), Head Gasket replaced, 1 Radiator, 1 computer chip (150?K), front and rear speakers, 1 paint job. Garage kept, some interior wear not bad or unexpected. Rust around rear tire wheel wells... struts have about had it.

General Comments:

Pretty good car and as with anything stuff wears out and you repair replace what you need. Has always handled well and provides great visibility. Large hatch back and 4 doors. Not much rear seat room, but rarely had more than 2 in the car anyway.

Review Date: 9th July, 2003

1988 Acura Integra LS 1.6L DOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6L DOHC Manual
Distance when acquired112000 miles
Previous carNone None

Summary:

Fast, fun, reliable import

I purchased this car with a blown head gasket, it would burn oil like crazy so it had to be fixed. Seeing as how I didn't have money at the time to pay a mechanic, I decided to take on the project myself. I paid 115 dollars for the gasket kit, and put about 100 hours worth of work into the little thing. Cursing every moment under the hood, I realized just how intricate Honda motors are, hats off to the engineers. Although they didn't have the mechanics in mind when designing it, because it was terrible slow going to work on. While I did this work, I had the head cleaned and milled. It runs like a beauty now. I also invested $250 on Monza sport tuned exhaust which increased the throttle response at high R's.

General Comments:

This car is was way ahead of its time, the engineering is marvelous. It is a very reliable, quick, fun car. Highly recommended and would definatley buy another the day this one dies.

Review Date: 6th May, 2003

1988 Acura Integra RS 1.6L DOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6L DOHC Manual
Previous carMitsubishi Eclipse

Summary:

Speed Demon at 35 Miles Per Gallon

I've only owned this car for 1 year. In the 14,000 that I've owned it, I have replaced the clutch, exhaust, water pump, timing belt, and the head gasket. All of these are, for the most part, my fault. With the 5-speed transmission, it's hard to keep my foot off the pedal. I also replaced the rear hatch lift supports. I now have to replace the rear hatch, due to a thief wanting my speakers. Also on the list of repairs are the piston rings. When I replaced the head gasket, I also had my valves done, which in turn with higher compression and a lead foot, blew my rings. I also have to replace the rear shocks.

General Comments:

When I first test-drove the Integra, I couldn't believe it was only a 1.6L engine. The one drawback is the solid rear axle. It sways a little more than I want it to. If they make an independent suspension for it, I want it. It also doesn't have cup holders, so I mounted my own. Off the line, the power is incredible. I beat all the 4 bangers in town and give the 6 cylinders a run for their money. And I still get 30-35 Miles Per Gallon.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2003

1988 Acura Integra LS 1.6 DOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6 DOHC Manual
Previous carChrysler Fifth Avenue

Summary:

Hey Mazda, I got yer Zoom Zoom right here!

Broken seatbelt.

Front brakes/rotors, rear pads.

Recently developed oil leak @ camshaft seal. Is only moderate, but is still a concern.

General Comments:

Drive 45 miles to work daily, car handles traffic VERY well.

Is quick and stable.

Seats are comfortable, but car is prone to fatigue on long trips, the suspension picks up every expansion joint on the highway.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2003

1988 Acura Integra RS 1.6 from North America

First year of ownership1988
Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carOldsmobile Olds Omega

Summary:

Plan to run this until it is 400,000km in 25yrs

The igniter failed 3 years into owning it. No way to start the car without it being towed to the dealer for repair.

Because car was under warranty, repairs were free.

Another annoyance is the muffler which rusts out. In the last 14 years, this car has gone through 5 mufflers. Best deal is to purchase the lifetime muffler with Honda/Acura. After market mufflers don't work well with this car.

General Comments:

Back in 1988, this car was considered a fast and sexy car. No other manufacturer had such a design. The car is still easy on the eye. Performance is excellent considering its age. Normal wear and tear required new breaks, shocks and tires.

The torsion front and beam axle rear offers excellent cornering. Drove car down mountain highways at 80km and it hug to the road.

Regular oil change a must to keep engine running smooth.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2002