1989 Acura Integra LS 1.6L from North America

Summary:

Amazing

I love this car, I bought it in June of 2012, and the first thing I did was do the alternator.

The only thing I've ever had to do was a distributor.

The CV joints pop.

Seat belts have started to wear.

Other than those, I have no issues. This car was a one owner car, I got along with it all of the service records down to its very first ever oil change. Tire receipts since 1990, and parts receipts, so I know all 24 years it's been around - nothing major has gone wrong!

General Comments:

I love the car so much, she handles amazingly, and she's comfortable for me.

I've added blue lighting on the interior.

This car runs exactly like it did when it was brand new.

I've replaced the shifter and all of the rods that go with it, and she shifts like she's brand new, and with a brand new clutch - she's amazing!

Review Date: 22nd April, 2013

1989 Acura Integra LX 1.6L DOHC from North America

Summary:

Fun, reliable, and frugal

Alternator failure @ 160k ($90).

Distributor failure (drive bearing) @ 180k ($200).

^These are the only two non-wear items that I have had to replace^

I have replaced the following wear items:

Shocks/struts.

CV axles.

Sway bar links.

Timing belt / water pump job.

General Comments:

I am very satisfied with my purchase of this car. I paid $1400 US for a car that has given me 50,000 miles of relatively trouble free performance. I don't plan on getting rid of her any time soon; going to drive her until she has a major mechanical failure.

The car handles surprisingly well for its primitive suspension setup (torsion bar front/semi-solid rear axle). However, the suspension has very little travel and often bottoms out when hitting pot-holes and train tracks. I gave the comfort rating a 5/10 because the suspension is harsh on rough surfaces, and the seats hurt my back on long commutes.

The engine is typical Honda: gutless below 3k RPM, brilliant above 4k rpm, and dead reliable. The engine's specific output is very good for a late 80's engine (~74hp/L); compare this to a Ford 5.0L of that period (~45hp/L). She is no race car, but surprisingly peppy. Don't be afraid to rev the little d16a1 out, the solid lifters and DOHC design leave little to break. The close ratio transmission gearing (1-4) is perfect for zipping around town and full throttle runs. Honda should have made the 5th gear a little longer for highway cruising though. The car is very fun to drive!

I average 36-37 MPG driving back and forth to college (30 mile one way 55mph highway), and have seen as high as 40 MPG. I calculate my fuel mileage at every fill-up, and have never seen less than 30 MPG.

I love my g1teg. I take care of her, and she takes care of me. If you need any help with your g1teg or just want to share yours with other g1teg owners, visit g1teg.org

Review Date: 30th March, 2011

1989 Acura Integra RS 1.6 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Surprisingly fast, and great handling

These cars are very reliable when taken care of.

The first problem I had when I got this car, was that after a few months, the muffler rusted out (which is fine for the original muffler) so we got a OEM replacement no problem.

The most major problem is the manual tranny took a crap, and right now I am getting it replaced, but this is mostly my fault due to speed shifting and racing; can't help it, this thing's quick LOL.

Another problem that is common with the 80's Hondas/Acuras, is the main relay; over time the solder joints on it will develop small cracks, and cause a no start when hot out, but to fix this you just get a soldering iron and remelt the solder on the connections.

Those are the only problems I've ever had.

General Comments:

I love this car!

It's handling is surprisingly very good; my friends are shocked when I take tight turns fast at how well it corners.

The engine is very quick for just a 1.6; it has over 250,000 miles and still runs very strong. I recently put a cold air intake on it, which I highly recommend; it adds acceleration and sounds awesome!!!

Sadly I am selling her soon; I've wanted a Honda Prelude 92-96 for a while, and just want something newer, plus can't argue with the 2.2 VTEC LOL.

Review Date: 28th September, 2007