2005 Acura TL from North America

Hit a curb, blew a tire, and had to have the car realigned which I expected. HOWEVER; the roof ALSO crumpled around the sunroof due to the hit (and the curb I hit was no worse than hitting a pothole). Have to have roof replaced as the dents cannot be repaired. My "curb" incident is now deemed a full-on accident by insurance. Found out this is VERY common for Acuras as per several Acura blogs and websites. Apparently the roof flexes on even a small impact and the end result is the large dents that now appear around my sunroof. Wow! I feel safe in this car now. Hit a curb and my roof integrity is violated. AMAZING. What would have happened if I had actually hit a car? Is there a class action lawsuit out about this since it appears to be fairly common? If so email me at jdsully@roadrunner.com.

General Comments:

Up until this point, I loved this car. Now I'm not sure I'll ever have an Acura again.

Review Date: 20th July, 2007

20th Jul 2007, 22:45

Look at the crash tests on NHTSA and the insurance institute. These cars are very safe, and I challenge you to find anywhere this car is on the bottom of the list of safe vehicles.

21st Jul 2007, 05:45

Hes not saying that it is indeed not safe, what hes saying is that for such a small impact, there was a lot of structual damage, and he is WONDERING what would happen in a more severe collision.

The car is probably safe, but it just wasnt designed to handle minor impacts well seeing that his roof has to be replaced from this minor incident.

21st Jul 2007, 20:55

What are you doing hitting curves? Pay attention to the road! You also said it was not that hard. What, do you hit curves on a regular basis? You probably hit it hard.

6th Jun 2008, 16:09

Indeed, they may not be as tough as German cars, but acura's hold up extremely well, I bet it was more than a canyon than a pothole...

21st Nov 2008, 16:18

You must have hit the curb very hard. Were you drinking coffee, on the cell phone, not paying attention on the road or just got out of a pub? Blaming the car for your poor driving habit?

25th Mar 2009, 22:46

I hit an island with no ramp on it, curb was at least 6 inches high, I was making a left turn in the night, going maybe 15 to 20 mph, my 04 TL hit the curb so hard, I thought I got hit by another car. Pulled over to inspect for damage, for sure I thought I split the tire and rim in half, as my car lifted up at least 7 to 10 inches in the air, well, only thing happened was, my aspec spoiler had a major scratch on the bottom, and the whole front end plastics were mis-aligned, I hit it back in place, it snapped back in. That was it!

2005 Acura TL 3.2 from North America

Summary:

Best Car I Ever Owned

Not one thing.

General Comments:

Awesome car hands down especially the Navigation system. Before buying the car, I compared it to the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mercedes C class, and Lexus IS. By far the TL gave you the most for the dollar and was the best car to own (total cost to own). The Lexus was a close second. I researched the cars for 6 months and test drove all vehicles. You will not be disappointed.

Review Date: 25th January, 2007

2005 Acura TL from North America

Summary:

A truly impressive package!

No Problems at all.

General Comments:

I am very impressed with this car! Not too many times do you run across a product that tries to be all things to all people with any measurable degree of success, but this Acura makes it happen!

The TL has a smooth, but firm, ride that is never harsh. The car handles not quite like a dedicated sports car, but with a sure-footed confidence that lets you know if you want to play, the TL is ready.

The laundry list of standard equipment contains all of the items you would expect on a plus-30K car and then some items that will provide pleasant surprises for you.

Review Date: 29th April, 2006