2001 Alfa Romeo 156 Reviews - Page 13 of 13

2001 Alfa Romeo 156 TS Veloce 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carCitroen Xsara

Summary:

A dynamic if unreliable performer

I am impressed with the sweet engine, road-holding, interior comfort and styling.

Two weeks later and 827 miles (from new) and the engine sounds like it belongs in a tractor.

The problem - no.3 crankshaft bearing is in pieces, after being starved of oil, due to a manufacturing fault in the engine block.

The result - one wrecked engine, with none in the UK, as a result of a spate of no.3 crankshaft bearing failures.

41 days later - the car is still at the dealers. The engine has arrived, but some gaskets are on back-order. However, I am hopeful of getting it back for my summer holidays.

General Comments:

Lovely car, both in terms of style and performance.

Shame about my emerging reliability worries.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2001

14th Jan 2002, 06:17

Sell it NOW, or you will come to regret it, as I did.

Same engine problem, lasted 4,500 miles.

Also watch out for: erattic idling due to faulty engine chip; self-engaging rear child locks; failed starter motor; rusty sunroof; boot leaks (especially if rear spoiler fitted) ; failed handbrake (water gets into the mechanism, freezes and applies the rear brakes - usually on the motorway) ; freefall depreciation - I resold my 156 16 months after I bought it, and got just over half what I paid.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

5th Aug 2002, 05:55

Alfa 156 Reliability.

I have owned my Alfa 156 for 2 years and have covered 31,000 miles in it from new. I have had absolutely no problems with it. My car is a 2.0 T.S. and it has a superb engine, well balanced handling and very sharp steering. I find the ride poor on broken road surfaces - which are all too common in the UK. I find the combination of soft springs and stiff dampers does not make for a good load carrying car. Its fine 2 up, but with four people and luggage in the car, it can hit the rear bump stops and gives a very firm ride at the rear. That's my only quibble - the car has otherwise been a joy to own.

2001 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.4 JTD Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

Italian flair without German engineering

2.4 JTD with Sports Pack One.

I have only had the car 1 week!!!

While driving during the weekend on some secondary roads I realised that the suspension was really soft. So soft at 50 mph if you are going over smooth but hilling roads she will hit the bottom and scrape... In addition, I have since realised that the suspension is so soft it will jump the CD player...

Note: The roads are really just regular roads... not a dirt track.

I have rang the dealer and he says that the Alfa's are soft and that's that...

Is anyone else having this problem or is it a 2.4 JTD only problem. Can anything even be done like detach the sports pack one improved suspension!!!

It gots to a point now where I am worried to even come of the motor and drive above bloody forty!!!

Your advice is greatly appreciated...

Review Date: 10th April, 2001

18th Apr 2001, 15:45

I have a 1.8TS with sportpack - I've never grounded it! Perhaps it's the extra weight of the diesel engine...?

22nd Apr 2001, 07:44

I remember reading an owner's similar experience of a 156JTD grounding in a recent edition of 'What Car' (last 12 months). The cause is due to the much heavier weight of diesel 156's compared to the petrol version. I believe that Alfa Romeo were persuaded to replace the suspension.