AMC Concord Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Most recent year of ownership1989
Engine and transmission 4.2L straight six Automatic
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Nova

Summary:

Wonderful car that we miss

Water pump went out at about 80 thousand miles.

Car needed a new muffler about every two years.

General Comments:

We bought our new mocha brown '78 DL 4 door in may of 78.

The Concord was the best American car I have owned.

It started every time.

It drove smoothly, even when it had over 100 thousand miles.

It was our first and last AMC car. When it was time to buy another new car, AMC was gone.

Review Date: 10th February, 2009

11th Feb 2009, 12:50

Yes, AMC built some very nice, dependable vehicles.

It is a shame that AMC went the way of so many fine automobile makes.

The quality of Jeeps was excellent when Jeep was a part of the AMC family as well.

7th Oct 2009, 11:01

I have owned 4 AMC Concords. I have also owned Cadillacs, Chryslers and the like and am a fair judge of cars. My AMC cars gave as good service as any cars I have ever owned. I believe, from my experience, that what came to be known as quality control was the only aspect where these cars are possibly not quite up to industry standards of the time. But, overall, a great little car. Great to drive and ride in, often giving the impression of a much more expensive car. I still own my fathers 1978 D/L Limited wagon, which he bought new off the showroom floor. It is in fine original condition.

9th Oct 2009, 12:46

Your car is a keeper. I used to sell AMCs and they were great cars. Unfortunately it seems some of the best makes were the first to go out of business. (Well Chrysler killed a good thing when they bought and basically killed AMC).

1983 AMC Concord 258ci in-line six from North America

Year of manufacture1983
First year of ownership1983
Most recent year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission 258ci in-line six Manual
Previous carAMC Concord

Summary:

Long live the memory of American Motors and the other innovative "independant" forebears

The plastic valve cover was a chronic leaker until replaced with a new design with thicker cork gasket (after-market dealer fix).

General Comments:

I ordered this white 4 door sedan new from the factory to my spec, with 5 speed, manual steering, and blue broadcloth interior.

I drove it for a decade daily commutes, camping, desert drive-abouts. It had very low numerical axle ratio, plus the overdrive fifth gave final drive under 2:1, which yielded 26-28 mpg on the highway if kept under 70mph.

These were the last of the 2WD's from American Motors, althouth the 4WD eagles were made til '88.

I loved the car and would buy another in a heartbeat. At about 200,000 miles, it gradually became even more of a slow turning/high torque at low engine speeds character. I could not spin the engine over about 3000 rpm and it chugged like a diesel. Eventually on a 2500 mile trip it pulled 34 mpg (!) but I noticed a timing chain noise. Replaced the chain, which recovered the correct valve timing and original character. I had removed the catalytic converter, air pump, etc earlier, which no doubt helped gas mileage also.

This engine never had the head off --- only replacing several water pumps plus an alternator.

I gave it to eldest son at about 250k miles and he drove it until CA motor vehicle insisted he replace the converter etc removed, which was prohibitive costwise.

When he junked the car in '96, it still ran good with approaching 300k. The vehicle had a lot of galvanized panels and never showed any rust.

I now drive a cherry '82 Eagle wagon with almost 200k miles.

Long live the memory of American Motors and the other innovative "independent" forebears of Nash, Hudson, Packard, and Studebaker!!

Review Date: 20th March, 2007

22nd Mar 2007, 16:56

AMC= American Made Classics.

8th Aug 2008, 17:45

The reviewer mentioned that he removed the air pump and catalytic converter. I believe tampering with federally mandated emission control systems is illegal.

1982 AMC Concord DX wagon 258 6 cylinder from North America

Model year1982
Year of manufacture1982
First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 258 6 cylinder Manual
Previous carAMC Concord

Summary:

Wish they still made them

Oil leak when I bought it.

Bad rust inside of drivers side front wheel well -- was told that due to unibody construction to junk it -- it was unsafe -- but the car didn't have a scratch or ANY body rust (visible), so I hunted a good welder, and had some steel plates welded over the rust hole -- still going strong!!

Oil leak -- after 3 valve cover gaskets -- ordered a new valve cover from Chrysler -- cost 250 bucks had installed. IT STILL LEAKS -- but not bad. The parts guy said the old style valve cover was a factory defect, and the new one was better designed (IE: not plastic)

General Comments:

This has been one of the BEST cars I've ever owned. I paid 500 bucks for it, and have driven it 150,000 miles. One alternator, tires, brakes, and the oil problem. That's IT!!!

It is a 5 speed, which I think is unusual. It changes gears, and feels like a truck. I think it probably is the trans that was later put in the Jeep Cherokees. Anyhow, the 5 spd is VERY easy on fuel; I never use 5th unless I'm on the interstate; its almost a overdrive (that's how I use it), but its geared so there is no need until you are going about 70.

I commute 67 miles each way to work, and thought I'd have this car a year or maybe 2, and I'm STILL ROLLING and getting about 25 MPG (at 70 mph).

It has had a lifter tick (loud) since I bought it, which doesn't seem to affect the performance at all. My only complaint, is I wish it had a little more leg room, and head room inside. For the size of the car, it's kinda cramped inside.

This is the car that became the EAGLE 4 wheel drive, and in the Eagle I can understand that the trans takes up space, but in this car it seems there is lots of wasted space. Doesn't stop me from loving it!!!

Review Date: 25th December, 2006