1982 AMC Concord DX wagon 258 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Wish they still made them

Oil leak when I bought it.

Bad rust inside of drivers side front wheel well -- was told that due to unibody construction to junk it -- it was unsafe -- but the car didn't have a scratch or ANY body rust (visible), so I hunted a good welder, and had some steel plates welded over the rust hole -- still going strong!!

Oil leak -- after 3 valve cover gaskets -- ordered a new valve cover from Chrysler -- cost 250 bucks had installed. IT STILL LEAKS -- but not bad. The parts guy said the old style valve cover was a factory defect, and the new one was better designed (IE: not plastic)

General Comments:

This has been one of the BEST cars I've ever owned. I paid 500 bucks for it, and have driven it 150,000 miles. One alternator, tires, brakes, and the oil problem. That's IT!!!

It is a 5 speed, which I think is unusual. It changes gears, and feels like a truck. I think it probably is the trans that was later put in the Jeep Cherokees. Anyhow, the 5 spd is VERY easy on fuel; I never use 5th unless I'm on the interstate; its almost a overdrive (that's how I use it), but its geared so there is no need until you are going about 70.

I commute 67 miles each way to work, and thought I'd have this car a year or maybe 2, and I'm STILL ROLLING and getting about 25 MPG (at 70 mph).

It has had a lifter tick (loud) since I bought it, which doesn't seem to affect the performance at all. My only complaint, is I wish it had a little more leg room, and head room inside. For the size of the car, it's kinda cramped inside.

This is the car that became the EAGLE 4 wheel drive, and in the Eagle I can understand that the trans takes up space, but in this car it seems there is lots of wasted space. Doesn't stop me from loving it!!!

Review Date: 25th December, 2006

1982 AMC Concord DL 4.2L I6 from North America

Summary:

Quite simply - I love this car

Needs new brake rotors & pads.. not that bad yet, but I'm going to need to get that fixed before long.

Otherwise, nothing as of yet.

General Comments:

The car is in excellent shape, although it's not exactly the most attractive car on the road. She does turn some heads, just due to how weird it looks. The sloped hood, stubby trunk and opera windows come together to make one weird-looking ride. I love it - very unique.

It's a very comfy car - if you're sitting in the front. The back seats are pure hell - no leg room. The interior is very plush, however.

It's a great car, quite a bit sportier than you would imagine. The car quite literally hugs the road, and likes to take turns.

The 4.2L straight-6 adds some real oomph to the ride, although it's not very fast.

They quite literally don't make 'em like this any more.

A great little car!

Review Date: 22nd May, 2006

1981 AMC Concord DL 258ci from North America

Summary:

Should be like new for another 100K miles

Since sitting for 3yrs unused, and seldom driven before that by the 93yo owner, it had some general maintenance needs. I replaced the brakes, shocks, exhaust, radiator and tuned it up.

No problems in the 14,000+ miles I have driven it.

General Comments:

This is as nice as a new car. Compares size wise with a new Camry/Accord. The ride and comfort are surprising to most folks who ride in it the first time. the interior was very well done, with "walnut" accents and the velour seats. the DL designation puts all the chrome you can think of on the metallic copper (original) paint and really shines.

Review Date: 20th August, 2004