2000 Audi A6 Reviews - Page 2 of 8

2000 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7 turbo from South Africa

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.7 turbo Automatic
Previous carAudi 500

Summary:

A driver's car

Great, well maintained car, even with 181K on clock and FSH, but my car has a CANNOT COMMUNICATE WITH ABS problem, and the dealer says it is not software, but a hardware problem in the wiring. It has a stutter at start up and only takes on third swing. It is the second time I have seen this problem on this site. Anyone have a solution?

General Comments:

Very comfortable and goes like a bat out of hell. Extremely powerful and very fast. What a pleasure.

Review Date: 4th March, 2010

2000 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7 turbo from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 2.7 turbo Automatic
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

The car rides nicely, but the numerous repairs will cost more than the car itself

1. ABS failed ($2,000 repair).

2. Leak in the turbo.

3. Check engine light (countless times).

General Comments:

I will never buy an Audi again. I paid $10,990 for it at 78,000 miles, which I believed was a pretty good deal.

The car runs very smoothly and it's a pleasure to drive. There are countless issues with it, however.

In the 13,000 miles I have put on it over 2 years, I have had to take it into the repair shop dozens of times. It seems like, more often than not, there is something wrong with the car.

Total, repairs have cost about $4,500. Currently, the check engine light is on (an almost expected occurrence nowadays). I can't afford to upkeep this car anymore, and my patience has worn thin.

Review Date: 1st March, 2010

2000 Audi A6 2.7 turbo from North America

Engine and transmission 2.7 turbo Manual
Most recent distance242000 miles
Previous carSAAB 9000

Summary:

If '10' is perfect, I'd give my A6 a 9.5

Door locks.

Rear drive shaft.

Catalytic converters needed replacing.

Turbos needed replacing.

Turbo hoses needed replacing.

General Comments:

My early research indicated that the 2.7T engine held the most "tweak" potential for the least investment, yielding, in return, the best performance. All true. Currently, with Dahlback ECU and racing cats I'm producing a max of 330hp, and approx 380lb/ft of torque.

Has the car been expensive to maintain? Yes. Has it been worth it for me? Yes. This rig is very comfortable, great in bad weather, carries 5 adults, has a roomy trunk, and probably gets up to 60 in the 5.6 - 5.8 sec range.

If you're into high-speed cruisers, the older A6 is a wonderful car. But be prepared to be very proactive on maintenance.

IMPORTANT: Unless you're very well-heeled, find a qualified after-market shop that specializes in Audi repairs and maintenance. I have one nearby, and I give them all my biz.

Review Date: 24th February, 2010

2000 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon 2.8 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.8 V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired122000 miles
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

Would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Too much brake dust on the wheel covers - makes it look dirty. New factory brake shoes didn't help.

Anti-lock brake system went out nine months ago. Didn't want to spend the hundreds of $ to repair, so I'm sliding by with the conventional brake system. Still seems to be quite safe. Guess I'll find out how safe it is when I perform my next panic stop!

General Comments:

Extremely reliable.

Great traction in the snow.

Gas mileage so-so for an AWD V6. 17 city, 25 HWY.

Parts and labor very expensive at the dealership.

Very appealing to the eyes. Have had several positive comments from people walking by it.

Has as much room as a truck with the back seats folded down, which they do completely. Nice!

Dash hard to see because of not enough lighting.

Review Date: 27th July, 2009

2000 Audi A6 2.7T from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 2.7T Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

I think it is a great car

General Comments:

I have had the Audi 2000 A6 2.7T for a couple of months now. Purchased it at 67000 miles and it has not given me any problems. I believe that the previous owner did not have problems with it either. I am so surprised because I have heard so many negative things about some cars, but when I purchased them they serve me well for years without major problems.

For instance, before I bought this Audi, I had a Ford Taurus 97, which I bought at 100 000 miles and people told me it will never last 10 000 miles. Was told a lot about endless problems with them, but drove it for 6 years with minor problems.

The Audi feels like a solid car in every aspect to me. I tend to think that these cars react to how we drive and treat them a lot of the time. I loaned my friend my Audi for two days, and when I drove it, it was driving different. Was not shifting smoothly, but after a while it normalized. One can almost say the computer knows it when you don't treat the car right. Guys, I'm happy with my Audi. Drove the S500 for a while and gave me problems at less than 50 000 miles.

Review Date: 5th January, 2009