1995 Buick Century Reviews - Page 4 of 5

1995 Buick Century Custom 3.1 SFI V6 from North America

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1994
Engine and transmission 3.1 SFI V6 Automatic

Summary:

Great value, exceptionally reliable

Driver side window motor went at 49,000 miles.

New muffler at 53,000 due to leak in tailpipe I didn't feel like fixing.

General Comments:

I can't believe how reliable this car is, I have driven it all over since purchasing and have not worried once about breaking down.

Pretty quick vehicle for the weight/power ratio, although I did install a performance chip and Fram filters.

Review Date: 8th May, 2005

1995 Buick Century from North America

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1994
Most recent distance119500 miles
Previous carChevrolet Astro

Summary:

The 1995 Buick Century is a nice looking and comfortable car, but it is unreliable in my experience

The biggest problem with my 1995 Buick Century occurred yesterday. My transmission blew without warning. I have only owned the car for about four and a half months. It will cost over $3,000.

Also, two weeks after purchasing my 1995 Buick Century, over $1,000 was spent on repairs. The car was quitting randomly. At that point, the car had extensive diagnostics performed on it. The transmission was considered to be good at that time.

General Comments:

The car is a comfortable ride, which is what attracted me to it. However, I simply cannot afford these expensive repairs on top of the fact that I am still making payments on the car.

Review Date: 28th December, 2004

27th Jun 2006, 09:53

Whoever told you it will cost $3,000 to do your transmission work is ripping you a new one. Seriously shop around at other repair shops first.

1995 Buick Century Special 2.2L 4-cylinder gas from North America

Year of manufacture1995
Engine and transmission 2.2L 4-cylinder gas Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Celebrity

Summary:

Comfortable, inexpensive, and reliable when cared for properly

This car was owned by my parents before I had it, and I have been living with them so I know what's been fixed and what hasn't.

The air conditioner failed around 190,000 miles and the evaporator had been leaking for some time before that, repair cost was under $500.

The heater core failed at the same time as the evaporator probably due to the excess moisture on it since it is right next to the evaporator. $200 repair.

The belt tensioner for the serpentine-style drive belt failed a number of times before the 100,000 mile mark. It has not failed since the last replacement (winter 1999 about 100,000 miles). The first repair was about $400 and subsequent repairs were covered under warranty.

The original Michelin tires lasted forever so my parents bought another set of Michelin tires and then another, and now the car has cheap tires on it which are much noisier.

The transmission has finally developed some issues and if the car is driven hard it will slip between gears, in normal driving this never occurs. I expect many more miles out of this transmission with the way I drive.

The muffler was replaced at about 160,000 miles not because it failed, but because the outer casing was eaten by rust.

The brakes were a problem in the 100-160,000 mile range because of a stuck caliper. Once the failed caliper was replaced, the front brake pads have only been changed once since then, and have plenty of life left. The rear brakes have only been replaced one time since the car was new.

Many of these 1990's GM products have a cup holder mounted in the armrest that breaks off easily because it is made of thin plastic. It *just* broke. I'm looking for a replacement.

General Comments:

If you're into speed, don't buy a 4-cylinder Century. The car drives fine to me, in fact of the 46 cars I've owned in the last ten years, it's probably the nicest, even though it has an abnormally high mileage.

The car drives very smoothly and does not exhibit typical GM car problems like slow power steering or rough running.

The 2.2L engine is the same engine used in the Chevy Cavalier, Chevy S-10 pickup, and Olds Cutlass Ciera.

With over 200,000 miles, car still gets mid-20s in town and I averaged 32.4 mpg on a recent trip from Ohio to Texas.

The body is in terrific shape, but that is from being kept in the garage and from being washed weekly or more often. The car has rarely been waxed and still shines as new. A small amount of rust has formed on the lower edge of the trunk lid below the spot where a dealer emblem was screwed on.

The front seats have power recliners and manual fore/aft adjustments. As mentioned before, the cup holder in the armrest just broke, and I wish I could get a heavier-duty one.

The trunk has exposed metal surfaces everywhere and they scratch easily. My Dad used more of his touch-up paint on the inside of the trunk than anywhere else on the car.

My Dad bought a new 2003 Century to replace this one. This car was purchased by them new to replace a 1986 Chevy Celebrity. Their other car during these years is a 1992 Buick Century, identical to this one except for the hubcaps, lack of power windows, and the engine in the 1992 is the 2.5L version. My sister has been driving the 1992, and just sold it to buy a new Taurus.

Review Date: 21st December, 2003

19th Sep 2005, 17:14

OP posting, I traded the car at 270,000 miles for an Aerostar which has cost me $3000 in repairs in the past 9 months. I should've kept the Buick. Looking now for another 1994-1996 Buick Century with the 4-cylinder engine.