2000 Buick Century from North America - Comments

12th Nov 2011, 09:19

Been driving my 2005 Century for 45,000 miles now with hard shifting. Seems to be getting worse, but we decided to drive until it breaks.

14th Nov 2011, 12:08

Finally a great response on the BorgWarner PCS. It makes sense in what you say. I'm still driving OK with harsh shifting. If I decide to rebuild, I'll definitely go BorgWarner.

Thanks for a great response.

7th Jan 2012, 14:38

I had the same problem. Cost me $40 bucks to fix it. It's called a shift kit. Works great, never had a problem since.

8th Jan 2012, 21:22

What exactly is this Shift Kit, and where can I get one?

12th Feb 2012, 21:03

Because your life isn't at risk.

21st Mar 2012, 15:43

Also have a 2000 Century with the same hard shifting problem, and would like to know what shift kit to use and where to get it? Thanks.

8th Apr 2012, 02:01

I have a 2000 Buick Century. It too has the transmission issue. I manually shift it to prevent the noise and hard shifting. But sometimes in traffic, it's hard to do, then the whining underneath starts. Pull over, shut it off, then start. Why bother with it? Time for another car!

27th Apr 2012, 18:08

Did your hard shift problems go away after spending all that money??

7th Jul 2012, 12:22

The fan motor working only on high is almost always a resistor problem. Buy the part for about $35.00, and put it in yourself.

31st Aug 2012, 14:21

Addressing the draining of the battery problem; mine was a door switch that went bad. It was in the on position, even when the light was not on in the car. Replaced it and the problem went away.

Also having the same problem with the tranny, intake manifold gasket, and brakes. We have also replaced the front shock assembly at 215,000 miles.

It gets 36 MPG on the highway, and 28 MPG in the city, and I will keep sticking the parts into it, because it is paid off. I also think GM should address this issue. Chrysler has a similar problem "limp mode"; it cost more to replace, and to the Toyota drivers, I like comfort when I'm driving, not getting my kidneys punched on every bump like my sister's RAV4 does.

16th Mar 2013, 10:01

I drive both. Honda is far better! Buick rides nicer.

7th Nov 2013, 15:19

Yep... add me to the long list of GMC owners with hard shift tranny problems. Mine is a 2000 Buick Century, which starts to shift hard after about 30 minutes of driving. Why does that sound so familiar on this site... Shame on GM for using the same faulty transmission for years and years after finding out about the problems. No more GM autos for me.

9th Nov 2013, 23:39

Personally I like my 7 speed manual in my new GM.

7th May 2014, 19:51

This is a common problem. I had the same issue one year ago. I put a shift kit in the tranny and haven't had a problem since.

Add another comment