1991 Buick LeSabre Limited 3.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

We LOVE our "Old Reliable"!!!

Bought the car with 234,000 miles on it.

2 of 4 windows don't work (minor inconvenience).

Shocks are squishy (not car's fault - just haven't bothered fixing).

Replaced blower fan and starter at 255,000 miles ($75 and $150).

THAT'S IT! No other repairs for 3 1/2 years, and now 260,000 miles. THIS CAR HAS BEEN AMAZING!!!

General Comments:

Very little has gone wrong with this car in the 3 1/2 years that we've owned it.

The front passenger window and back window on driver's side don't roll down, the only one that rolls down with any power is the driver's door window. I try not to use it too much because I know sooner or later it will die too. Not a big deal - as the A/C works GREAT in the summer, so I don't really need the windows anyway.

I had new brake pads put in when I got it at 234,000 miles, also had the muffler repaired.

Other than that, only routine maintenance (oil changes, flushes, etc.).

The shocks are pretty squishy, but not worth it for me to fix.

The passenger door is getting a lot of rust along the edges. Don't know what that's about? Rest of the car looks fine.

Just had the blower fan and the starter a replaced at 260,000 miles (but at least it gave us several weeks of warning that it was going out).

Bottom line: I got rid of my 2006 Toyota Corolla, because my husband and I are following the Dave Ramsey plan and don't want to spend the rest of our lives in debt. Did my research and heard great things about these old Buicks. I spent $1600 on the car (more than it was really worth, but there just aren't many of these for sale around here. Now I see why - you can just drive them forever and save TONS of $$).

This car has been AWESOME to us. It isn't the prettiest, kind of big and not a bit sporty, but oh I LOVE it! It's got very respectable power - both in town and on the highway, the engine is great, no problems with transmission or any of the expensive stuff.

Gas mileage averages 22, and my commute is about 1/2 city and 1/2 interstate driving. We live in South Dakota, and it gets COLD in the winter. Even when it was 25 BELOW, it started!! It complained a bit, but it started. Handles pretty good in the snow and on ice, too. Not too bad for a car that is 19 years old. Not bad at all...

This car has been so good to us that when I saw another one for sale (same year, same color, but with 135,000 miles LESS on it) I snatched it up! The new one doesn't have any rust and the seats are firmer, and the suspension is great. We weren't even looking for another car, but once I test drove it, I bought it right away. These are hard to find, and when they come up for sale, they don't last long. If you're not too vain about how your car looks, and want something reliable, get one of these.

This site helped me pick it in the first place, and I'm so glad I did!

Review Date: 21st February, 2010

1991 Buick LeSabre from North America

Summary:

It's a junker that is costing a lot of money, but getting me around

Bought the car, and found out the next day it was leaking gas from the lines. Replaced one that leaked, and another one broke. Had to tow it to a shop to get fixed.

Both windows on the driver's side do not work. Front passenger window is very slow when going up, and stops after awhile. Have to use my hand to push it up.

Car still has a slight gas odor. Even with 3 air fresheners hanging up.

Bottom of car is very rusty.

Cruise control does not work.

There are wires going from the hood inside the car, that you don't know what they are for.

Only the defrosters work.

Front left and back right speakers barely work.

Hole cut out under the back seat, where gas lines were replaced at one time before I had it.

Gas stains under back seat from the hole.

Water leaks in from the front side of the driver's door.

Previous owner had to replace the brakes. A little damage in front from when the brakes went out and hit their housing.

Sagging headliner.

General Comments:

Drives well.

Gets low RPM.

Both front seats should have been powered instead of just the driver's seat.

Review Date: 13th September, 2008

14th Sep 2008, 13:13

Sounds like your car was not taken good care of. I see several of these daily, which is pretty impressive considering they are close to 20 years old now.