1991 Buick LeSabre Reviews - Page 2 of 4

Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired202000 miles
Most recent distance204900 miles
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

One of GM's last built-to-last cars

All 4 shocks are bad,

Wipers are misaligned with the windshield (not badly).

Cam position sensor broken; wondering if it's causing the hesitation I get sometimes, more often when it's cold. Any help here would be very appreciated.

Front leather seats are badly worn, attribute this to previous owner neglect.

Sunroof was leaking badly in corners, cleaned the drain tubes, has been dry since.

Right rear passenger door won't open. Help?

Left outside rearview mirror missing mirror itself. Can I get away with just replacing the reflective part, or do I have to replace the whole assembly? They're power, BTW.

Also, what's the deal with the low hanging exhaust systems on this particular generation?!

General Comments:

Other than the complaints above, I have NO other qualms with this car. Great gas mileage for a car its size, very roomy. Smooth on the highway.

Very reliable, even at 205,000 miles. Loving the extra power I get from the 3.8 V6 vs. the four bangers I've had.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2008

1991 Buick LeSabre Custom 3.8 liter 3.8 SFI V6 from North America

Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 3.8 liter 3.8 SFI V6 Automatic
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

An excellent cheap, reliable source of comfortable and roomy transportation!!

Passenger power window failed at 145,000 miles.

Struts and strut mounts need replacement.

Top pad of dashboard severely warped.

Motor mounts failed at 155,000 miles.

Chrome window switches broke off.

General Comments:

Overall an excellent car for the money! Granted, repairs will be needed on a 17-year old car with close to 170,000 miles. Cabin is well thought-out and roomy! There is significant wind noise above 55mph. Acceleration is very brisk, and the THM 440-T4 transmission shifts flawlessly! The fabric choice for the interior (seats) could have been a little more refined, but overall, the seats are very comfortable.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2008

1991 Buick LeSabre Custom 3.8L from North America

Year of manufacture1991
Engine and transmission 3.8L Automatic
Distance when acquired212000 kilometres
Previous carChevrolet Pontiac Catalina

Summary:

Comfortable death trap

Brakes.

Lines gone three times in three years.

Blower Motor.

Rear Wheel Cylinder.

Alternator.

Gas lines.

Gas tank.

Sending unit very questionable. Reads a quarter full when empty.

General Comments:

I have never had such an unreliable car in all my life. A constant headache from day one.

The engine is strong though. One plus.

I am sure this car was OK in its prime, but this is ridiculas. I've owned cars twenty years old that did not fail like this. Every week a new problem.

I just had the brake lines done for the second time. Now brake cylinders failing. Almost crashed due to third brake line failure in three years. First time on highway at 100 km per hour. Lucky to have survived. This car is a curse from hell.

This is the second time I have posted this review. Mysteriously it never shows up on the site. Kind of like they only want to hear glowing reviews about all cars. Well this is a 100% lemon. I've driven GM all my life. That is over. Toyota will be my next choice. All cars are subject to failure, but this LeSabre is a death trap. I could not in good conscience sell it to anyone. It must be in the junk yard.

Review Date: 15th October, 2007

29th Oct 2007, 11:46

Ditto. I love the 3.8L V6, one of the best engines produced, but the rest of the car is disappointing.

19th Jan 2008, 19:34

I bought a one owner with 72000 miles on it 1 year ago. Cost me 2500.

The exterior had just some little chips on it. The interior was excellent condition.

After a month, I started hearing a knock in engine only when idling. And the oil light just started blinking on and off. I'm trying to figure what is wrong; oil pump, bearing etc. but I love the car.

The owner had it serviced regularly at a dealership and the oil looks clean after 3000 miles.

1991 Buick LeSabre Custom 3.8L from North America

Year of manufacture1991
Engine and transmission 3.8L Automatic
Distance when acquired212000 kilometres
Previous carChevrolet Astro

Summary:

Expensive power and comfort

Here goes... Since I've owned it, brake lines, Front Hub and Bearing, Both struts including bearing, all ball joints... yes all of them, alternator, battery, cruise control, turn signal lever, Fuel tank and sending unit, blower motor, fuel lines.

General Comments:

Great ride, good mileage and ample power. Comfortable interior. On the negative side it has left me at the side of the road three times in two years. Constant, never ending repairs. One thing after another. Granted it is not new and I did not expect a trouble free car, but this thing is unbelievable. I drove my previous Chev Astro Van well over three hundred thousand clicks, through tough Ottawa winters and it never once left me high and dry. Sure it had repairs, most often the alternator, but this Buick has been a financial nightmare from day one. I've never owned a vehicle that is so unreliable and prone to breakdown. I WANTED this car to run well, I am a GM person, but holy smokes this thing, has destroyed my faith. I'm going Japanese next.

Review Date: 21st February, 2007

22nd Feb 2007, 11:51

I forgot to mention I also had to replace the exhaust system, including the cat converter and also the A/C compressor clutch siezed. So many things I can't keep track.

22nd Feb 2007, 16:00

"I'm going Japanese next."

Great. Let us know how your next 16-year-old japanese car works out for you. My guess is that it will also need a new muffler, signal bulbs, timing belt, and the rest of the routine maintenance items that any old car needs. Maybe you made a poor decision in buying this particular used car, but you shouldn't switch car brands forever because you got taken on an old wreck.

31st Aug 2007, 08:51

When buying any old car, how well the owner took care of it will be a factor. My 1991 Buick Lasabre was given to me because of the terrible condition it was in. Most people told me to sell it to the junkyard and forget about it. It now runs like a new car. I still have things to repair before it will be completely like new, but my point is, with a car that old, you should start by giving it a tune up and then start replacing parts before you have a breakdown. It's my understanding that fixed up; old Buicks are excellent cars, but you never know how well or poorly older cars' previous owners took care of them.

29th Oct 2007, 11:41

Brother, you and I are in the same boat. I've been a GM man all my life, but I'm ready to throw in the towel and buy a Toyota. The best car I ever owned was an '87 Buick, the worst a 2001! I'm now driving a '90, but it's just like your '91, constantly having issues. I couldn't agree with you more, a used car is expected to need extra care, but not this much!

19th Jan 2008, 19:57

I bought a one owner 91 Buick Custom with 79000 miles. He said the brakes locked up on him once, but showed me receipt where he fixed them. He paid 2500.

Interior in excellent condition, exterior in very good condition, but now I hear a knock in the engine. If anybody has had this problem, please email me at v_fulcher@yahoo.com and tell me if it was a bearing or just oil pump or lifters etc.

Also I had a front wheel bearing put on. The owner said he had maintained it regularly at the dealership.