1998 Buick LeSabre Reviews - Page 3 of 6

1998 Buick LeSabre Limited 3.8 Series II V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8 Series II V6 Automatic
Previous carBuick LeSabre

Summary:

If you like comfort over sport and can deal with acceptable performance, you can't really go wrong

Thankfully nothing has gone wrong. I have just recently noticed a leak underneath, some kind of clear, metallic smelling fluid that is somewhat slick. Water pump maybe??

General Comments:

So far this has been a great car. Very roomy and comfortable. Performance is better than expected, although the transmission is somewhat lazy at times. Everything works except for the CD player which is really nothing to replace. I have to say that this is one of the softest suspensions I have ever had. I have the air suspension in the rear which keeps the car at a certain height. It's funny to me sometimes when there is a big bump in the road, other cars take it in stride. There has been times when I have almost had the car airborne hitting the same bump others have hit. I don't know, I guess I need new struts. Handling is not really a strong point for this car, hitting bumps in mid corner can sometimes be really scary, so I have had to learn to take it easy. Passing power from just a 205 hp engine is better than I would have initially thought for a car that weighs almost 2 tons.

Review Date: 30th March, 2008

1998 Buick LeSabre Limited 3.8L from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8L Automatic

Summary:

It is an average G.M. vehicle

As far as reliability, there is no problem. The problem is the plastic upper olenum has had to be replaced on an average of every 50,000 miles. The plenum costs 160.00 before tax and about 2.5 - 4.0 hours. to replace it. I also found out G.M. changed the plastic to an aluminum intake in 2004.

Review Date: 1st January, 2008

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom 3.8 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 Automatic
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

Should not have the problems it has

I am telling just the opposite of what I used to recommend. I used to love Buick since I was a very young man, and have highly recommended their products to all my friends. It surprises me and disgusts me that GM has known of these problems as well as their service folks.

Brake rotors have been replaced or turned several times.

Extremely noisy while traveling. Had to have the selling dealer adjust the front passenger door to fit more securely when closed. Back seat riders cannot hear normal voice conversation of others in vehicle.

Intake manifold, like the many others I now know about, leaked coolant into engine pistons. The starter was ruined from the attempts to start the vehicle when it stopped unexpectedly with no overheating or mechanical indication. Next door neighbors 98 Buick Le Sabre had same intake problem 2 weeks prior to mine and best friends brother-in-law's Buick had the same as well.

General Comments:

We were generally pleased with our Buick Le Sabre, its ride and its comfort. Still can't understand why GM is treating their customers with, in my opinion, such contempt.

Review Date: 7th August, 2007

27th Oct 2007, 22:03

Has your Buick been totaled in an accident, or are your weatherstrips bad? Normally Buicks are not anywhere near that loud inside the car.

1998 Buick LeSabre 3.8 V6 ? from North America

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 ? Automatic

Summary:

Pile of junk

Let's start from the front: license plate bracket fell off.

Battery bracket broke, and the battery fell and cracked.

Water pump, alternator, and fuel pump had to be replaced in the first 50,000 miles.

Wouldn't start occasionally. The dealer couldn't figure out why.

Oil pan sprung a leak.

Recalled twice for engine electrical problems.

Engine blew at 99,000 miles due to GM plastic plenum.

Seat broke.

Tape player broke.

Cigarette lighter broke.

Inside of passenger door fell off.

Exterior trim fell off.

Dashboard delaminated.

Rear windows wouldn't roll down.

Back end made creaking noises, dealer couldn't figure out why.

General Comments:

What a pile of junk! If GM wants me to "Buy American" then why not make something worth buying?

I'm like the song says: I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so.

Review Date: 19th May, 2007

4th Jun 2007, 16:52

Sounds like you either bought a lemon, or you don't know how to take care of a vehicle.

22nd Dec 2009, 14:03

You know, I get so sick of the "you don't know how to take care of a vehicle" bit. Really? How often does one have to rotate the battery bracket? What is the maintenance interval on the radio? This thing was a piece of crap. My 19 year old Dakota just keeps rolling along.