1990 Buick Regal Custom 3.8 TPI V6 from North America

Summary:

Typical reliable Buick of the time

When first purchased, the cassette player made a bass like thumping noise. Dealer fixed, and never did it again.

A few sensors and check engine codes over the years.

Odometer quit at 170,000 miles. The final mileage before trade in must have been around 185,000.

Water pump replaced a week before the car's farewell.

Outside of general maintenance, these were the only repairs.

General Comments:

Very reliable, driven hard with many long distance trips. The ride was very smooth for a midsize front drive.

Under the hood was the 3800 V6 (first year available in this car). Forget the post 1995 Series 2 3800 with cheap gaskets and vital parts that were made of plastic. The 3800 from this era was the real deal.

This car was very formal looking; it was ordered with the presidential package. White body with a cloth half carriage roof with opera lamps and rear quarter windows, and a decor luggage rack on the deck lid. The car always seemed to get compliments.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the W-bodies, but the Regal was the best looking of the bunch. W-bodies were OK, but were a far cry from the G-bodies that they replaced.

Review Date: 28th December, 2015

1990 Buick Regal from North America

Summary:

This car is beautiful, it was my first car and I love it

Blinker switch was broken, radiator crack, sunroof is broken.

General Comments:

This car runs very good, I would drive to work all over south Texas.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2010

1990 Buick Regal Limited 3.8 from North America

Summary:

2-door tank that served me well

Needed to replace front brake pads and rotors.

Replaced glove box door with another to fix the vent on the door.

Driver's side power window switch is sometimes flaky.

Had to constantly fill coolant reservoir every day - leaking heater core, which I did not replace.

General Comments:

For $300, I couldn't go wrong. Needed a car in a hurry, and just so happens I found one. Previous owner played pinball with some guardrails, so it wasn't the prettiest thing going down the road. Got me to where I had to go though.

Luckily, everything else besides the driver's window switch, worked flawlessly. A/C was ice cold, sunroof operated smoothly, power antenna did its thing, cruise control... cruised.

I really liked the dashboard design, with the single digital speed readout, but the gas gauge moved around a lot. Had an intermittent problem with the service engine soon light illuminating due to a flaky throttle sensor, sometimes the car wouldn't fire up without pressing the accelerator for a bit.

Oh, but when it ran, it ran well. I loved the torque curve of the 3800, all down low where you need it.

Ended up hitting a deer at 55, demolishing what was left of the right front corner of the vehicle. The last drive I took it out on, decided to throw it in reverse at 50. Engine just stalled, threw her in neutral and fired her right back up and kept on rolling.

Sometimes I look at new cars going down the road and wonder if my good old Buick donated its sheet metal to one of them. Hell of a car with a quirky personality. If you've got one, hold on to it for a while.

And don't hit deer. Bad.

Review Date: 6th March, 2010

27th Mar 2010, 06:14

A 1990 Regal is not a tank, it is midsize even by today's standards.

28th Mar 2010, 15:42

Had it been a "tank", a deer wouldn't have been able to take it off the road.

7th Apr 2010, 22:57

"Tank" in my standards is something that can still move after hitting a sizeable object. Try slamming into a deer at 55 in some of the new tin cans and drive it away.

22nd Apr 2010, 12:42

I love my Buick Regal. It was my first car. Had it for four years already, and I'm 23 years old!

1990 Buick Regal Limited 3.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

It's a piece of junk

We bought it for $1000 off an elderly couple. The transmission needed to be rebuilt and the signal switch needed to be changed. Also, the driver side window didn't go down all the way. It would get stuck and make a really loud noise.

A few weeks later the battery went and that needed to be replaced.

The brakes needed to be changed all the time and the callipers are designed quite poorly (too small for the car) and as a result, they seize up very easily. I also had the caliper pin break on me and get jammed in the brakes.

The signal switch shorted out and needed to be changed again. (It's an expensive part for the Limited model and can only be purchased from GM.)

The blower motor went in it and was a real pain to change.

It had aluminum rims, and as a result, come winter time I'd wake up only to find my car with flat tires.

The shoulder strap of the driver side seat belt was defective and didn't hold me back in my accident.

The power packs went on me twice.

The spark plug wires burned out on me.

It always stalled in the rain and spring.

The fuel pump, alternator, and starter went on me.

That's all I can remember going wrong on it.

General Comments:

It was quite speedy and the 3.8L engine made for great acceleration from red lights.

The seats were very uncomfortable in it and the backs would fly forward too easily.

The sound system in it is pretty good. It was a real pain trying to install a CD player in it because the amp had to be taken out of it first.

Tires and fuel were quite expensive for it too.

The heater doesn't really heat anything at all in it either. I always had numb toes.

It didn't handle too well on ice and didn't stop too well on it either as I found out in December when I totaled it off.

Review Date: 30th January, 2006

30th Jan 2006, 17:45

"It's a piece of junk"

- So is GM!!!

30th Jan 2006, 18:20

Hope you didn't not expect too much for a $1000 car!

30th Jan 2006, 18:28

These things happen with older cars, with high mileage. You bought a car with over 100,000 miles, I think that's about the same in Kilometers. Should be miles, that's the right distance method. Anyway, you can't judge a car that's 13 years old, with over 100,000 miles.