1990 Buick Regal Custom Coupe 2 door 3.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

A quality, comfortable, reliable car that has served me well for over 25 years & still going strong!

First thing that broke (within the first 6 months) was flimsy plastic cup holder that flipped down out of the center console. A very poor design. Otherwise, the interior is in mint condition!

Was rear-ended in '98; had to replace the trunk, quarter panels & gas tank. As a result the gas gauge does not work properly.

ECM replaced at 70,000 miles.

Had to replace the window motor in the driver's door at 80,000 miles.

Cam sensor interrupter magnet dislodged at 90,000 miles, but the car still runs fine.

Factory air conditioner recharged at 90,000 miles.

Alternator and serpentine belt replaced at 50,000 miles.

A couple of negatives (for me) are no airbags and no pass-through opening from the trunk to the back seat as in similar models.

General Comments:

I bought this car new from dealer in '91. Was a demo with 112 miles on the odometer. This Regal has been outstanding and has been my daily driver for over 25 years. And yes it HAS been a dream having NO CAR PAYMENT for 20+ years! Saved a lot of interest.

It is still very comfortable and (knock wood) has not needed any major repairs to the engine or transmission and still runs great. The 3800 V6 engine still has plenty of power and pick-up upon acceleration for passing. With front wheel drive, it gets around fine and handles great in the Midwest winter/snow and ice.

It has been driven across the U.S. from east to west twice and was a comfortable ride. With a tow package and transmission cooler installed, this Regal had no problem at all pulling a 22' boat through the mountains and across several states.

Overall, I truly can't complain about this car. With routine maintenance, it has performed well and lasted better than expected. It has just now gone over 100k miles, and I expect it would be great for another 200-300k+ if properly maintained. The exterior paint on top is just now starting to fade, but that's my fault as it is currently not garaged. The plush (cloth) interior has held up extremely well and shows hardly any wear, and all of the instruments, handles, buttons, locks, belts, etc., still function properly. It really makes a difference if you take care of your vehicle and keep it clean and well maintained.

Honestly I would keep this Regal "until the wheels fall off," but I am currently planning to replace it with a newer subcompact Buick (Encore), only because I need more cargo space. Fingers crossed, the new Buick will be good for the next 25+ years. :-)

Review Date: 18th May, 2016

1990 Buick Regal from North America

Summary:

This car is beautiful, it was my first car and I love it

Blinker switch was broken, radiator crack, sunroof is broken.

General Comments:

This car runs very good, I would drive to work all over south Texas.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2010

1990 Buick Regal Limited 3.8 from North America

Summary:

2-door tank that served me well

Needed to replace front brake pads and rotors.

Replaced glove box door with another to fix the vent on the door.

Driver's side power window switch is sometimes flaky.

Had to constantly fill coolant reservoir every day - leaking heater core, which I did not replace.

General Comments:

For $300, I couldn't go wrong. Needed a car in a hurry, and just so happens I found one. Previous owner played pinball with some guardrails, so it wasn't the prettiest thing going down the road. Got me to where I had to go though.

Luckily, everything else besides the driver's window switch, worked flawlessly. A/C was ice cold, sunroof operated smoothly, power antenna did its thing, cruise control... cruised.

I really liked the dashboard design, with the single digital speed readout, but the gas gauge moved around a lot. Had an intermittent problem with the service engine soon light illuminating due to a flaky throttle sensor, sometimes the car wouldn't fire up without pressing the accelerator for a bit.

Oh, but when it ran, it ran well. I loved the torque curve of the 3800, all down low where you need it.

Ended up hitting a deer at 55, demolishing what was left of the right front corner of the vehicle. The last drive I took it out on, decided to throw it in reverse at 50. Engine just stalled, threw her in neutral and fired her right back up and kept on rolling.

Sometimes I look at new cars going down the road and wonder if my good old Buick donated its sheet metal to one of them. Hell of a car with a quirky personality. If you've got one, hold on to it for a while.

And don't hit deer. Bad.

Review Date: 6th March, 2010

27th Mar 2010, 06:14

A 1990 Regal is not a tank, it is midsize even by today's standards.

28th Mar 2010, 15:42

Had it been a "tank", a deer wouldn't have been able to take it off the road.

7th Apr 2010, 22:57

"Tank" in my standards is something that can still move after hitting a sizeable object. Try slamming into a deer at 55 in some of the new tin cans and drive it away.

22nd Apr 2010, 12:42

I love my Buick Regal. It was my first car. Had it for four years already, and I'm 23 years old!