1985 Cadillac Eldorado Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1985 Cadillac Eldorado Biaritz 4.1 from North America

Model year1985
Year of manufacture1984
Previous carCadillac DeVille

Summary:

Classy collectible!

This car had a few problem passing state emissions, even after Cadillac dealer gave it a good blow out after sitting in someones garage for a year. It finally passed on its third try. I think the state will vote to get rid of these facilities soon.

General Comments:

This Eldorado is in almost new condition, the proverbial little old woman from Pasadena owned this car till her husband passed. She babied it and had all service record from new. It had a new engine installed by Cadillac at almost 100000 miles at a cost of almost $5000.00.This car may not be the first of the starting line but it will turn heads wherever it goes even Cadillac mechanic's are amazed.

Review Date: 20th September, 2004

1985 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz HT4100 from North America

Year of manufacture1985
Engine and transmission HT4100 Automatic
Previous carCadillac Seville

Summary:

Future collectible!!

Recently purchased this Cadillac on Ebay from a retired Palm Beach couple. Car had sat up for about 10 years. Everything worked when it was delivered, but several things needed repair due to age and lack of use.

1. Fuel sending unit replaced.

2. All fan belts replaced.

3. Many vacuum hoses replaced.

4. Transmission gasket replaced.

5. Rear brake calipers leaking, repaired.

6. ISC motor replaced.

7. Replaced CV joint boots.

General Comments:

Repairs above cost $800. Drove it over 700 miles July 4th holiday weekend to the beach and back. Averaged about 23mpg and the attention I got with it was unbelievable!! Everywhere I went people would ask about it and take photos.

It's not a performance car, but it drives nice and looks brand new. Previous owner had it repainted and new top installed. I am in process of replacing several pieces of chrome trim and plan to have the white stripes painted on soon.

Review Date: 18th July, 2004

6th Apr 2006, 12:26

Although these cars are nice looking, they will never be collectibles. Only recent Cadillacs that are truly unique (such as the mid-1970's Eldorado convertibles) attract any type of collector attention unless celebrity owned.

In other words, if anyone who buys this car intends to make "serious" money off of its collector value they should re-examine the marketplace. Buy and restore this car for its fun value only.

20th Jul 2010, 22:39

Were did you buy that fuel sending unit for the Biarritz?

25th Dec 2013, 20:45

The prices of these Eldorados are already going up for the ones that have been taken care of.

26th Dec 2013, 14:02

Selling (NOT "asking") prices on eBay for nice fixed-roof low mileage examples are around the $5K-$6K mark -- not that impressive for a car that sold new for more than $20K nearly 30 years ago.

1985 Cadillac Eldorado Biaritz 4.1L V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1985
First year of ownership1990
Engine and transmission 4.1L V8 Automatic
Previous carCadillac Eldorado

Summary:

I love this car

All 4.1 Liter Cadillac engines get a coolant leak sooner or later. A good engine rebuild fixed this problem at 100,000 miles.

General Comments:

I love this car. Have owned four '85 Eldorados. They just fit me well. Can drive 300 miles in comfort. Slow acceleration at all speeds does not allow me to get into trouble. Light steering. Reliable. The most comfortable seats ever! I would buy a new '85 Eldorado today, if it were possible. This car has its flaws. I love it so much, I even love the flaws.

Review Date: 5th April, 2003

9th Sep 2004, 01:35

Steve,

I agree completely. I've just purchased my third '85Eldorado and I'm enjoying it just as I did my first one. They are genuine classics in the making. Another advantage for me is the ease in which I can fit my wheelchair in behind the driver seat then cruise in comfort all day.

Craig

gcfulcher@yahoo.com.

31st Oct 2004, 05:27

I agree, it has its flaws, what a small price to pay, but my 85 Eldorado convertible, I'm 3rd owner, has given me more pleasure than all my caddies. It's in showroom, condition, low miles, economical, its classy & quite a pleasure to drive. Nothing complicated to fix. Its too bad they don't make Eldorados anymore.

30th Jul 2006, 20:51

My very first car was a 1979 Cadillac Eldorado, my second was a 1981 Cadillac Eldorado, and my fifth and final is a 1985 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (all white with red leather interior). I love the Eldorado because it is, to me, the most beautiful Cadillac, yet! The early 80's body style is the best. Didn't care too much for the newer versions. It is a very classy ride! It demands attention from other drivers on the road. I am keeping my Cadillac Eldorado forever!

20th Sep 2011, 00:25

How much did it cost to have the transmission replaced? Did they rebuild it, or did you purchase a complete new one and have it installed?