1999 Cadillac Seville SLS 4.6L NorthStar from North America

Luxurious, quick, powerful, decent MPG

- I think there is a bad head-gasket now, after the car overheated when I was stuck in traffic.

- The seat belt retainer on the drivers side is broken (broken already when I got the car).

- Right front speaker blew twice.

- Annoying vibration in the right front once tires are worn (I kind of think that it's a CV joint out of balance, and new tires cushion the vibration better so it's not noticeable)

General Comments:

The torque on this car is wonderful... 325 ft lbs.

Great comfort for long rides.

Good MPG on the highway (26-27MPG)

Great sounding stereo.

Trunk is nice an large.

A/C system cools well.

Fit and finish still great after 11 years.

If you take care of this car it will stay nice.

* I was a bone head, and drove the car in traffic and it overheated. I could not pull over... so I damaged the head gasket or cracked the block.

WARNING to north-star owners!

1) Make sure you do not drive your car if the engine gets hot.

2) Make sure to use sealant tablets in your coolant whenever changing it.

3 Follow these rules, and you should be golden!

Review Date: 15th May, 2009

1999 Cadillac Seville STS 4.6 from North America

Luxurious American Tourer

I bought this car to repair. The person before me had blown the head gasket and the oil pan was leaking. Also, after driving, I noticed one of the motor mounts was broken, but this is very common in front wheel drive vehicles, especially with 100,000 miles.

After getting the car home I realized that the thermostat had stuck, but I still could not understand why the head was blown. These engines are designed to run for up to 50 miles with no water in them. After further inspection, I found that some moron had put the relays to the radiator fan motors in backwards. If they had not, the engine would have been fine with just a $12 thermostat replacement.

As far as the oil leak goes. The mid-late 90's Northstar engines did have a problem with their oil pan gaskets and plugs, and why they did not issue a recall I have no idea. This is a fairly inexpensive and simple repair though, and from what I understand the newer engines have no problems with it.

General Comments:

After repairing the car I have had no problems. These are very good cars and excellent engines. I have owned several Cadillacs in the past, all with good results.

I would recommend though, if your Cadillac has a Northstar and you notice it getting warmer, immediately turn the engine off.

Review Date: 24th November, 2007

1999 Cadillac Seville SLS 4.6 Northstar gas from North America

I don't know what everyone else is talking about, this car is FANTASTIC!

When I purchased the car at my local Cadillac dealer, the trunk needed to be re-sealed, and the console arm rest had to be replaced, as the previous owner damaged the hinge.

Front rotors needed to be replaced at 85 thousand miles.

The car never once failed me in 61 thousand miles, and didn't deteriorate in any sense of the word.

The car could sit for weeks on end and start up as if it were used five minutes earlier.

General Comments:

After an errant truck kicked up a stone and cracked my windshield, I took it to the dealer to be repaired. Their price cost 1/4 of everyone else's quote, and the car was ready in a matter of hours. They even detailed it for me! It actually makes me wish things regularly went wrong with the car.

All seats are comfortable, yet the back is a tad cramped, as this is the more eurocentric, sporting model.

The ride is smooth, yet it handles takes off, and stops like an F-16 jet.

These headlamps are some of the best I have experienced in a car.

Although it doesn't scream Cadillac, the styling is attractive, nonetheless.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2005