1999 Cadillac Seville STS 4.6 from North America

Summary:

Fast, luxurious, beautiful, but with its issues

Rear integration module.

Body sensor.

Alternator.

Heated drivers seat.

General Comments:

The most comfortable car I have ever owned. It was fast, handles well and is beautiful. Loved the interior and exterior styling. The downfall of these cars are the complicated electronics. Finding an electrical issue can cost you more than the parts that are required to fix it.

This was the nicest car I have ever owned, but the electrical & head gasket problems and poor resale value would keep me away from getting another Seville.

Review Date: 16th December, 2009

1999 Cadillac Seville STS Northstar from North America

Summary:

For what I paid, I have never owned a better car

I bought this car for about 1/4 of book value and was very worried by the price, as it seemed like such a nice car.

It had the dreaded head gasket problem (read up on it if you are ever looking at a Northstar engine). It had been repaired with a lifetime warranty (but from a shop 2000 miles away!).

The heated seat didn't work (drivers side front) and the floor heat on drivers side was very weak. I was (as mentioned) worried about the car so just drove it as it was for about a year with no problems at all. The heat on floor problem was a completely plugged cabin air filter (easy fix, but not easy to put new filter in).

General Comments:

Car gets OK MPG for its size, 15.8 avg in town over a year+ (90% of my driving is in town) and 25+ at 75, I have seen 28 many times.

Smooth ride and comfortable, I will have a tough time going back to a "normal" car when this one is retired.

Overall I love it and have had basically zero problems (which surprises me after reading here).

Plenty of power.

Review Date: 20th October, 2009

1999 Cadillac Seville STS 4.6L Northstar from North America

Summary:

Amazing power, performance and luxury for pennies what you'd pay elsewhere

Windshield wipers do not work. I have diagnosed that it's the switch and electrical cords, but have not yet fixed it.. currently I'm using Rain-X and it's been working great.

The massagers for my seats stopped working in the last couple months... not a big deal, I never really cared for them, kind of an unneeded luxury.

One fog light blew out twice since I've had it.

General Comments:

I have never been a fan of Cadillac. To me, when I think Cadillac I think old men and ladies in their 70's driving Escalades.. or real young black men with 22" rims. So being that I completely stereotyped this brand, I never thought I would be driving one, and that I would just stick with my M3.

Well my M3 got nailed by a random drunk idiot in the Walmart parking lot. (luckily I wasn't in it) and just completely destroyed the car. I received about $7600 from my insurance company and I thought I'd just buy a 3 series or another German car. Then while I was using Craigslist I found this gem.

122k miles, brand new studs, intake valves, head gaskets, MAF sensor, tires.. etc. diamond pearl white with white leather interior. The STS loaded with every option there was and it was the original owner! Clear title, no salvage history and he was asking only $2550!!! I thought it must be a fake ad, well, I clicked the link.. called the man and bought the car! Turns out it was his wife's car but he got it in the divorce and wanted to F with her so he sold it for pennies. WHAT LUCK FOR ME!!

Since I got it, only the minor things above have gone wrong. This car has been amazing, the performance is great, the ride is slick, the cars handling is superb... although the turn radius in the car leaves MUCH to be desired (like turning a tank) the overall steering of the vehicle is quite pleasant and easy to pull off. It's a definite cruiser, and it gets 31 miles per gallon on the highway! If only this car was a manual, it would make things even better! I love this car, I love where everything is laid out for easy access. I love the steering wheel controls for temperature AND audio. I love the rear heated seats, and the climate control is the best climate control I've seen in any of the 20+ luxury vehicles I've owned!

All in all, I'm extremely impressed with the reliability, and quality of this American luxury car! I'm already very tempted to sell it for book value now (roughly $5600) and go buy a 2005 Cadillac CTS, as now that I've experienced American luxury at its finest, I know now that I want more!

Review Date: 17th September, 2009

17th Sep 2009, 22:14

If I recall, this car uses the Northstar engine. This engine is prone to oil burning and head gasket issues. If the Hg goes, the motor needs to be replaced. I think you been had. I've read up on this plenty of times.

18th Sep 2009, 16:32

^ Please do REAL research and know what you're talking about before you post. If the head gasket were to go, the motor does not need to be replaced. What kind of insane mumbo jumbo is that? You also need to know WHAT Northstar engine you're talking about as they are all different. The post shows hes put on 22k miles... for what he paid he's already got a steal. How in the world could he been had for paying half what the car books at? Lets say the HG goes and he has to replace it.. that's $1100 tops. Unless he studs it too (which with the N* is highly suggested you do) that's $1800. That's still less than what the car books at!

Topic creator got a steal. Simple as that. Don't pay any attention to above poster.