1999 Cadillac Seville STS 4.6 liter from North America

Powerful, upscale, comfortable seats, great Bose sound system

I complained about excessive oil consumption at around 47,000 miles and the dealer performed an oil consumption test that endured over two oil changes. They confirmed that the vehicle consumed 1.2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles, but said that this was normal and showed me a GM product bulletin.

My 6-CD changer also had to be sent to GM for repair as it ate up my CDs and jammed. The cost was a fixed charge of $249. I was told it is made by Nakamichi. For all I know, they could have simply replaced the unit rather than to repair it as no explanation was given by GM as to why it broke.

Other than the transmission case cracking at 55,000 miles, and the rotors needing resufacing at 75,000 miles, mechanically the car has been running well.

Unfortunately, there are annoying finish and interior items that have broken, such as the dashboard warping at the windshield due to heat, the plastic seat belt retainers cracking, and the plastic rivets to hold down the wheel well walls popping.

General Comments:

The Seville STS is a great highway car, looks upscale, has great lines and good power. Having owned a 1995 BMW 740i before getting this one as a company car, I can see that Cadillac was trying very hard to give the STS the kind of exuberance that the Germans have given to their 7 Series. All in all though, if I had $50,000 in 1999, I would have bought a BMW 540i. Besides, at least the dealer would treat me like a BMW customer. At the Cadillac Buick Chevrolet dealer I patronize only because it's near my home, they treat me like a Chevy customer rather than a Cadillac customer. I constantly tell them that and they constantly reply that they treat all their customers the same (yeah, lousy).

Review Date: 7th December, 2004

5th Aug 2009, 13:27

Our 1998 Caddy Seville S.T.S. is good looking, performs like a sports sedan should with 300 H.P. and a lot of grunt through the double digits, and beyond I'm sure.

The paint is holding up well even outside in the sun. Of course I have a TON of wax on the body.

We love driving the S.T.S. and use it for out of town excursions, giving us great mileage, superb ride, and never tired when we arrive at our destination.

Oil consumption is at one quart a 1,000 miles, with odometer registering, 78,000 miles. This is on trips of 500 miles and more.

I just changed to Valvoline Maxlife 10-30 blend engine oil. My last oil change three weeks ago, haven't taken the car out on the road yet. Anticipating better oil consumption on my next trip out of town.

For this high performance sedan, maintenance is very crucial, with oil changes, and coolant changes using, G.M.'s Dexol, and pellets for sure.

If you have one of these great sport sedans, happy motoring!

Al S.

1999 Cadillac Seville STS 4.6 Northstar V8 from UK and Ireland

It's a good job ours is red, it's a 4 door Ferrari!

Steering rack, this needs to be replaced, not a cheap job.

Mystery Over-heating problem.

Brake discs and pads wear quickly.

Strange, random electrical quirks that sort themselves.

Headlights go out of line easily.

Uses oil, but then they all do.

We are looking at a bill of around £4000 to get this car right.

General Comments:

A very, very fast car, for a big heavy sedan, it will eat practically everything out there, but then cruise silently all day at 100mph on the motorway.

It also handles very neatly and grips forever, you would expect less front end traction, but it just grips even from a dead stop with the throttle wide open.

The brakes are very good too when they are in good condition, the ABS, traction control and Stabilitrak all work very well.

The BOSE sound system is awesome, really fantastic sound, with a radio, tape, 6 disc changer and MiniDisc.

Crimson pearl paint is well worth the upgrade cost, it looks gorgeous in the sunlight.

This car will cost a lot of money to run, but if you want to run a car like this, you have got to live with it, service it frequently and treat it right, ours has not had all the care it needs and thus is costing money to fix, but if you take care of it, I can see it lasting decades.

We will definately have another Cadillac.

Review Date: 9th November, 2004

6th Jun 2006, 06:58

We just sold this car with 89000 miles on it and have got a Jaguar XKR now, the Cadillac drove perfectly at the end, what a car, if anything, the Jag isn't as nice to drive as the old caddy!