1990 Chevrolet Beretta GTZ Quad 4 from North America

Fun to drive, But not to own

Well, had a flapping noise that I couldn't figure it out until I had a passenger in the back seat > Head liner was coming loose.

Drivers side door handle broke off on one side (Doors were heavy)

Power truck release button rarely worked.

Right side CV Joint was a regular monthly repair.

Head Gasket at 51,056 miles!!! real smoker while filling the tank.

General Comments:

Car was very Quick, many Mustangs were left behind.

Great performance, rock solid in the curves.

Sharp looking, Mine was Black and always CLEAN.

BUT > Too much horsepower for a non turbo powered four cylinder,highly stressed motor.

Review Date: 8th March, 2006

1990 Chevrolet Beretta GT 3.1L V6 from North America

Junk unless already in good condition

General Comments:

I'm a mechanic at a well known chain of tire and auto centers in Mo. and Ill., and I've done everything to this car, including a new motor. It's got plenty of power, but there's a lot of stuff that can't be fixed, or is a pain to fix.

The biggest one is a severe safety issue, because my seat is only held on by the remaining 1 bolt, and my seat belt on the driver's side doesn't work or locks in the wrong way, plus when it rains, the car floods with water, but since it's only my work car, I really don't feel like tending too much to the care of it, which isn't a big deal, because I bought the car this way, and knew the consequences.

So you be the ultimate judge, but I won't buy another one.

Review Date: 29th November, 2005

1990 Chevrolet Beretta Base 3.1 Dual Overhear Cam from North America

I am unsatisfied

I have had to replace the transmission when I got it (149,000). Shortly after that I had to replace the radiator, fan belt, and the transmission (149,152). Since I have got the car I have had nothing but problems with it. Now the engine is knocking and it is about to go out (150,010).

General Comments:

Other than it now working well it had been a nice car to drive in and when it does work it is fast for a base model beretta. The suspension is not very good, but the 6 cylinder engine makes up for that because at times it can be fast.

Review Date: 14th March, 2005

1990 Chevrolet Beretta GT from North America

Sporty money pit

Coil packs, clutch, muffler, battery, fuel pump, water pump, door handle broke, heater core, head gaskets.

Seats wore quickly.

General Comments:

Sporty and even got up to 31mpg on the hwy and ave 27mpg, but, it kept costing money about every other month for major repairs. Handled great. Sits low to ground.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2004

1990 Chevrolet Beretta GTZ Coupe 2.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

A very quick car for the keen driver

Head gasket went at 105,000 miles.

Uses quite a bit of oil even now.

No other problems!

General Comments:

This is a very quick car for very little money! It has a 180bhp 2.3 litre "Quad 4" 4-cylinder engine and a great five speed manual gearbox. I paid £1800 for my Beretta GTZ, which is very good for such a rare and fast car.

Its handling is a revelation. It takes corners superbly well. Better than the Isuzu Piazza Turbo I owned previously.

It looks great in black. It looks very sleek and tasteful and is very small for an American car.

The seats are very supportive and comfortable, but the interior is rather cramped inside for someone of my height.

It has proved very reliable apart from the head gasket going, but that is to be expected on a car of that mileage.

Review Date: 30th May, 2004

1990 Chevrolet Beretta INDY 3.1 V6 from North America

Very much worth every penny I have spent and very enjoyable

Every 3-4,000 miles;

1. Spark Plugs (replaced, not re-gapped)

2. Air Filter

3. Oil Filter.

At 30K miles, dash cracked and only in winter, the right side of dash would turn an ugly brown color. "Dash-mat" cover came in handy.

At 60K miles, replaced all hoses and belts, whether needed or not.

At 90K, replaced Electronic Computer Module. Faster chip. All Fuses and replaced battery with more powerful battery.

From about 120K to 130K miles, I replaced the water pump, the alternator, the battery, and the electric fan.

At 140K miles, A serviceman at 'Oil Can Henry's' broke the upper plastic radiator hose mount by pulling hard on it, that led to the following:

A new radiator, water pump (again,) thermostat, hoses.

160K miles replaced both head gaskets.

Fuel Pump at 165,K.

Headliner at 166K.

General Comments:

*Never use SPITFIRE spark plugs for more than 3K miles. I used mine for almost 4K miles and they had gotten so hot, all, but 2 broke apart when taken out. (you could tell a noticeable difference in power - about 10 to 15% increase - for about the first 1200 miles or so.)

*I have never had so much fun in any other vehicle, as I've had in my INDY.

*The stock stereo was more than an excellent sounding stereo, with surround sound.

*The suspension system on the INDY was an upgrade from other models, and although a bit rough on rough roads, it handles sweet on smooth freeway drives.

*The Yellow color made it hard to resell to just anyone, but yellow is now becoming "in style," which is nice.

*The INDY interior was even nicer than my 1987 corvette, and felt a lot like a real Indy car.

*The quick agility and steering saved me from quite a few accidents, as I've been able to steer away from them, even at higher speeds, (90-110).

*The leather steering wheel, gearshift were a nice touch, although the door panels all, but fall apart at the top, (very bad design!)

*Doors are too flexible when windows are down.

*Hood should have been designed to lift with hydraulics.

*Air cleaner lacks enough air flow.

*Air cleaner Boot, (from air cleaner to air injection system) need to be raised away from engine farther.

*Tons of room for front 6'-2" passengers, yet rear passengers had better be three-year-olds, for lack of leg room.

*All in all, this car is very peppy, and most of the time you will feel as though you are doing the speed limit, when in reality you are going 10-15 miles per hour faster. Very smooth.

Review Date: 25th May, 2004

5th Mar 2005, 10:40

What was your reason on changing the ECM, I'm having electrical problems with my Indy.