1986 Chevrolet Caprice Reviews

1986 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham V8 305 from North America

Model year1986
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission V8 305 Automatic

Summary:

Great car

Brake lines rusted through.

Radio only works when it feels like it.

Weatherstripping falling off.

General Comments:

This is my first car and I love it.

It handles great, and it's fast for its size. I have no trouble passing cars on the freeway.

It is huge and comfortable. It's great for driving all your friends around.

It's the best car I've ever drove. I wouldn't trade it for any new car because it's a true American masterpiece; I don't like Asian cars.

Review Date: 15th September, 2009

16th Sep 2009, 17:16

I had an '86 Caprice with almost 200,000 miles on it and it still ran great. I've heard of the police/taxi versions having had 300,000 - 500,000 (!) miles on them and still on the road! With regular maintenance these things run forever. I wish new cars these days were built to last like the 1980's Caprice was. Keep your transmission serviced, my sister had a '91 Caprice (newest body style before they quit making them) and had her tranny go out at less than 140,000 miles..

The '80s Caprices "cousins" were great cars too (same chassis, diff names) : Oldsmobile Delta 88 and 98 Regency (until '87 when they changed them to V6 FWD), and '80s Pontiac Parissiene. Hang onto it, it'll be a classic someday!

17th Sep 2009, 16:12

These eighties rear wheel drive cars are already becoming classics as we speak. The prices are very high for nice low mileage ones, if you can find them.

15th Apr 2013, 09:32

I just bought an 86 with 29,000 miles on it!!!

16th Apr 2013, 14:01

That's wonderful! How much did you have to pay for it?

17th Dec 2013, 22:50

I have a mint green with green interior 1986 Caprice Classic with only 28000 miles on it. I brought it with 24000 miles on it for 2500 dollars. The interior is great, and the exterior is in great condition. I wonder how much it's worth if I decide to sell it?

18th Dec 2013, 10:50

Probably double what you paid for it to the right buyer, maybe more.

18th Dec 2013, 16:23

Depending where you are located, you could certainly get double what you paid, especially in the rust belt areas and northeast, where most of these have rusted away and there is a great amount of nostalgia and fondness for these cars.

I bought a 90 Brougham Caprice from an estate sale and sold it for double what I paid. To say these cars are great is an understatement. They ride like a dream, have tons of interior space and trunk space, passenger comfort is top notch. Reliability is bulletproof, parts and service dirt cheap.

Another option would be to just keep the car, as they will never make a finer automobile, and the value will increase more and more over the years.

19th Dec 2013, 17:51

Damn straight. I got a '90 Caprice sedan for $250, replaced the damaged deck lid with a junkyard piece, and sold it two months later for $525!

1986 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 305 Cu. In. from North America