1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Reviews - Page 16 of 16

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z22 2.2 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carPontiac Sunbird

Summary:

I love it!

Nothing has gone wrong with the car.

General Comments:

I have made a few mods to it. Added some nice 5 star CSA rims, momo pedals, K$N filter, Reactive exhaust and for a 2.2 it really has some get up.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2001

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2.2L 4 cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.2L 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carChevrolet Malibu LS

Summary:

Cheap, reliable transportation

Plastic trim on the seats have broken off exposing unsightly mechanisms.

Fan motor makes a high-pitched squealing noise.

General Comments:

The car looks great, handles fairly, and was a good bargain.

The 2.2L doesn't deliver a lot of power, but the manual makes it more fun to drive.

In an entire year of ownership, I haven't had any major problems with the car. I would definitely buy another one.

Review Date: 14th February, 2001

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z22 2.2 Litre from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 2.2 Litre Manual
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

A great little car

I had to replace a clutch, two weeks ago.

General Comments:

The car is pretty good, I probably would buy another Cavalier. I really like the 2001 Cavalier Z24, I think they look really neat.

Review Date: 11th November, 2000

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LX 2.4 twin cam from Mexico

First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 2.4 twin cam Manual
Most recent distance72000 kilometres
Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

A waste of money

Many problems with the suspension, and also with the transmission gear and clutch. It's a very noisy car.

I'm really disappointed with this car. The worst car of the GM brand.

General Comments:

I think that in the 80's GM produced better cars than today.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2000

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2000
Most recent distance72000 kilometres
Previous carMazda 323

Summary:

A waste of money!!!!!

You name it.

Radio.

I have a tapping noise in the engine, GM is trying to tell me it is normal. I have had to take GM to court in order to have this problem fixed.

General Comments:

If there is anyone else who is told that a "piston slap" is normal, please fight this, as it is repairable.

Review Date: 11th August, 2000

20th Aug 2002, 13:09

I own a 1996 Chevy Cavalier, in addition I have also had problems with a persistent tapping noise of some kind. One mechanic told me it was be cause "not only was my tensioner broken, but my timing chain was also broken-in three places no less". So about a month ago, I had those parts replaced. Now, the noise is starting up again and I have no idea what it could be.

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier 2-Door Coupe 2.2 Four Cylinder from North America

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 2.2 Four Cylinder Automatic

Summary:

Dependable, Long Lasting :)

Nothing really, so far the car runs like a bear. It's never stalled or anything, only problem I had was a short in the cigarette lighter which blew a fuse and so I had no horn or cigarette lighter, but that's not that bad - only cost 12 bucks to repair and it's easy to install.

General Comments:

The car is quick for a 2.2 liter. I'm at 53,600 miles now and I service it regularly. It's been very dependable and I would definitely buy another one day but I think I'd go for the Z24 model - they are pretty sharp.

Review Date: 11th April, 2000

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe from North America

Engine and transmission

I bought a 1996 Cavalier (CHEVROLET).

The first 3 months I had the new car I had to take it in 7 times for different things going wrong. Then I took it in for them to tighten my dash because it was loose. Well they cracked it so I took it back in and they put in a new dash, well I noticed it wasn't right so I took it back in. They had to replace the dash mount and after that the fan that blows inside the car was hitting something. I didn't bother to take it in. I went to mazda and got a 626, it is wonderful.

Back to the cavalier I bought a spoiler for the car. They had to order it from Mich. Well the first spoiler I got was cracked so I took it back then I didn't seem to hear anything. I called and they said they got another one in but it was run over by a truck on its way here. This went on and on I called GM. They told me they cannot control that because it comes from a place they order from and not from GM. And they told me that a man who owned a van (Chevrolet) had been waiting 2 years for his van door. That is my experience with Chevrolet.

General Comments:

I will never buy a Chevrolet again and I recommend no one else does either.

Review Date: 29th June, 1998

7th Feb 2001, 18:18

It appears that all of the problems with your car were dealer related - they had nothing to do with problems with the car. The dealer you used just isn't very good.

9th Apr 2001, 17:24

I was having problems with the Chevy dealer that I was going to - I thought it was my car all along (although, I did have minor things going wrong). I switched to another dealer, and all is well. My Cavalier has been great - I think I just needed to find a dealer who knew what customer service was all about.

11th Feb 2002, 09:43

I have a 1996 Cavalier, too. I am happy with my Cavalier. I have not had much problems with the car. Usually, I have to repair it once a year for little problems! The dealer you had must have been crappy!

25th Sep 2002, 23:43

I had a 1996 Cavalier. It was the best car that I had ever owned. The car was totaled out in a five car collision. The car was built strong enough that I am still here to say something about it. I miss my car. It was a great value.

2nd Feb 2005, 12:35

I am a hard working single mother with 2 children, 1 with disabilities. I bought this car after many months of saving up, mostly to taxi my daughter to her frequent doctor's appointments, and to get to and from work. I have had nothing, but problems with my car. From the head gasket, to the CAT, you name it-it was replaced. My car was just out of warranty, and GM refused to reimburse me for the necessary repairs. I should mention that my car was less than a year old when I purchased it. I will never again make the mistake of purchasing a GM product. I will say that I now own a Ford, and it has been running strong for the past 3 years.