2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan from North America

Summary:

This car is overpriced, unreliable plastic

57600 miles and the motor is burning oil severely, with no visible leaks anywhere inside the motor or underneath, and it isn't smoking.

Tires wear unevenly or oddly.

Brake pads constantly crack.

There is a power steering recall that could include the whole system, and my steering column does shake a lot. Speed doesn't matter; it shakes at all speeds.

Driver's door lock snapped off.

CD player randomly won't work, and gets hot.

Knob for air/heat quit working.

Air conditioner leaks water on the floor boards, fixed once and still leaks.

Trunk opening too narrow.

The worst is the defective motor, I have all my maintenance receipts and my warranty just went out, so I am stuck with 12 payments and no running car. The dealership is taking no responsibility for this defective car.

General Comments:

This car does corner well and the paint job still looks new after washing.

Do not buy this car if you want something reliable.

Review Date: 1st July, 2010

1st Jul 2010, 11:06

I had a similar issue with a GM product, a '95 Chevy Lumina. At around 40,000 miles, my engine died with a loud bang driving down the highway. I pulled over and found a large hole in the oil pan. The connecting rod failed and went right through it. Like you, I also took care of my car, and had all the service records. That was the last GM product I ever owned and it's going to stay that way.

5th Sep 2010, 17:01

My is a Cobalt 2005 LS sedan with 75240 miles on it, and it runs real good, no mechanical problems yet, already changed the power steering from the recall, change sparks plugs at 70,000 miles and change the MAF sensor after engine light went on, regular check up and oil changes, rotate tires at 5,000 miles. I don't know why people say that this car is a junk; mine runs good for the mileage it has for now...

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Perfect example of why GM is bankrupt

On rainy, foggy, and/or overcast days, the headlights are on, the instrument panel lights are not. The body control module is the problem. Chevrolet Customer Service states the "condition" is normal and refuses warranty service (service bulletin Document ID# 1530511).

The shifter has been replaced because you could not remove the ignition key.

Clunk in right rear was traced to a defective rear shock (dealer tightened antenna & said nothing was wrong).

Popping noise in front end required replacing stabilizer bar end links (dealer said nothing was wrong).

Vibration in front end traced to Continental tires (dealer said nothing was wrong) out of round (we replaced with Michelin, a vast improvement in ride and handling).

The brake warning light came on while driving, problem traced to fluid level sensor in master cylinder (dealer said nothing was wrong).

The cruise control would not engage on numerous times, problem traced to leather steering wheel wiring (not switches), replacement cured problem (dealer said nothing was wrong).

Numerous paint issues, pathetic repair work by the dealer. $250 to replace the thermostat, because it's on the back side of the engine between the firewall.

General Comments:

No automatic dipstick; to check the automatic transmission fluid level, the car has to be raised on a level rack and a plug on the backside of the transmission removed. Terrible build quality.

Review Date: 27th July, 2009

27th Jul 2009, 13:01

Sounds like horrible dealership experience (s) than a bad car.

27th Jul 2009, 17:44

That's what you get when you buy a Chevy. Or any GM vehicle. GM's quality is awful. It really isn't a surprise they're bankrupt. For your next car, buy a Honda or a Toyota. Or at least a Ford. Even I'll agree that even Ford is better than Chevy. But I'd recommend a Toyota or Honda. You can't go wrong with either.

21st Feb 2010, 15:32

Thanks for the info. It helped out a lot. My wiring was shorted too. Dealer said there was no problem.