2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Base 2.2L Ecotec from North America

Summary:

Worth the cash, and would buy again

At 79K 5/15/11, the catalytic converter went out, due to a rich running condition. Replaced 4 plugs and coil pack to the tune of about $375. Dealer covered the cat under the emissions, stating that it was covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever came first.

General Comments:

Great, gas efficient car. I have owned at least 20 cars over the years, and Chevy's took up a good part of that list.

Now, as with the other reviews on this site, know that the car isn't going to win a beauty pageant, won't come in first in the Daytona 500, and probably won't be in any showroom anytime soon, but if it runs, DRIVE IT.

Our Cobalt has required ZERO maintenance other than tires, brakes, oil and air filter changes, belts and gas. Have not once replaced suspension parts, transmission parts, or any internal engine parts.

Bought it with about 42K already on it, and it wasn't maintained by some little old lady who only drove it to church.

The car has good acceleration, and handles fine for me with Firestone Touring tires on it ($418 out the door), and gets me from point A to point B.

The engine is loud, which is fine; it's no louder than any other car its size, spinning at 5,000 RPM while really on it. The car tops 115 easily and with minimal effort.

All the other reviews on this site are an opinion of the person whom wrote them, and that's fine.

Review Date: 23rd November, 2011

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Base 2.2L 145hp from North America

Summary:

Spend the extra few hundred and buy something better!

Approximately 3 months after getting the car, the A/C went out. The compressor was okay, but there was a crack in the main housing that holds the A/C unit itself. Sounds somewhat cheap, but it was still going to cost me $1,000+.

Steering wheel would lock every so often while in.

Push button on driver's side broke off, so I have to lock/unlock the driver's door from the outside.

General Comments:

Good gas mileage. Nothing else.

Very, very base model. No power locks or windows.

Thin-feeling seats.

I'm not rough with my cars at all; this is simply a very cheaply made car.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2011

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Am I going to get from point A to point B?

Plastic mud flaps literally fell off of the car in a 70 zone, second day of ownership, after I talked about how awesome my car was for about a half hour straight. Embarrassing.

Struts.

Cracked hubcap.

T/C light.

On the highway, after driving through a puddle on a dirt road that 20 other cars went through, my car accelerated 0-60 in about 5 minutes (1992 Honda Civic Hatchback survived this? Come on, that thing is half as high up off the ground as my car).

Check airbag light randomly came on.

Check engine light came on.

My heated seat stopped working.

Car battery died (automatic headlights stay on about 5 minutes after the car is shut off).

Car battery died 5 other times before I got rid of it.

General Comments:

Be really careful with this car, the guy I bought it from polished it right up so I couldn't notice all of the secret problems that it had. I understand that the rule is buyer beware, but this car looked perfectly fine, even to a mechanic.

This car had really awkward handling; it didn't feel like a car. Shoulder checking to your left (steering wheel on the left hand side) is an absolute pain, so I bought a globe mirror for my side view mirror. The heated seats worked amazingly (my passenger in the front seat loved it), and mine came with a stock Pioneer stereo, which blasted really loud music; loved it.

Driving it when it is in perfect working order, amazing, and then it just all fell apart. The mudflap legit fell off of the car, which is attached to like the whole body of the car, very poorly designed.

The back end of the car jumped up and down like a hyper kid every time I hit even the smallest bump in the road.

The front right side of it felt like plastic was like slowly breaking every time I hit a bump.

Check engine light and check airbag light came on a day apart.

Not even a week later, my heated seat stopped working, and then my car battery died the following week. If you look at everything that went wrong with this car above, you will know that that within a 2 week period, it will kill your wallet (2000 dollars worth of repairs to be exact, fixing car computers costs a lot), so I did exactly what the person who sold it to me did. Polished her up, made her look pretty and threw her up for sale.

Now, this car wasn't HORRIBLE, when it worked, but on the highway it was as silent as a bullet and passed cars like it was nobody's business. The stereo control on the steering wheel made me extremely comfy in the car on the highway, and the cruise control worked perfectly fine. Loved it, then last couple weeks of ownership, got really angry every time I just about got in a car accident, but didn't write it off.

Now, my friend owned a 2008 Cobalt base model, and that thing is awesome, solid, and a good car. I trusted it very much, so if you are still considering a Cobalt, buy a newer model. The 2005 was the test, and the 2008 is the improvement. I'll say it again, stay away from the 2005 model.

After owning this and a 1995 Chevrolet Beretta, I don't think I'll ever be able to let myself buy another Chevrolet. They have an eternal taint on me, and I felt way more safe in my 1985 BMW 535i that got written off for rust issues. I don't think that I'll ever be able to go back to an American made car ever again, unless of course it's old school.

I said it once, I'll say it again, buyer beware.

Review Date: 29th September, 2010

1st Oct 2010, 12:59

Once again, someone buys a high mileage car and slams it for nickel and dime repairs. Do you have any history of this car before you owned it? 108K miles is a lot for a car that is less than taken care of. The 2008 that you commented on as being so good, well that car isn't much different than the one you had. The biggest difference is in the way it was treated. Sounds like you got really hung up on a good stereo and failed to notice other obvious signs this wasn't the car for you... like the awkward driving position and the need for blind spot mirrors.

Next time, leave the stereo off and test drive the car thoroughly. You will save lots of money, and actually enjoy the car you buy.