2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Reviews - Page 5 of 5

Model year2008
Year of manufacture2008
Engine and transmission 2.2 Gasoline Manual
Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

A good economy car for a bad economic time

Nothing has gone wrong with this car. However, I have only owned it four days.

General Comments:

Well, high gas prices and zero percent financing lured me into the Chevrolet showroom to trade my 06 Impala in on a more economical car. My new Cobalt is a rare 4 door with a five speed. It is Victory Red with Gray Interior. I have only owned it four days, but so far I am very satisfied with it.

Overall, the car seems to be assembled well. The Continental tires are very quiet and the car has a very smooth ride. Wind noise is the only complaint and this seems to be a Chevy trait. The seats are fairly comfortable, the A/C works very well in the hot South Florida summer heat and the standard XM radio is a nice bonus. The electric power steering is very precise. It is light at low speeds and firms up as speed increases. All of the instruments are legible and the controls are easily reached. The trip computer is a nice bonus for a basic car. It gives you actual tire pressure for each of your tires, instant mpg, average mpg, coolant temp, average speed, two trip odometers and odometer. The automatic headlights are another nice feature. The clutch engages easily with no chatter. The shifter could be a little less notchy, but it works fine for me.

While this is no luxury car, it does everything it was designed to well. As I have done on my other cars, I will update after each servicing and let everyone know how my new Cobalt is doing.

Review Date: 28th June, 2008

7th Jul 2008, 13:48

Thank you for a good review, and please, do keep us updated on how the car performs.

I've driven both the 4-door and coupe versions of the Cobalt, and though I preferred the styling of the coupe, the sedan seemed quieter and more comfortable. Overall, I found it a very solid and good driving car.

We currently own 2 GM vehicles, one an 8-year-old 4-cylinder Grand Am and one a 6-year-old GMC Envoy I-6. Both have performed flawlessly. The Grand Am had the front brake pads replaced at 70,000 miles for a whopping $18 (the rear are still original). The Envoy has had only one battery, and even still has the original Michelin tires. I hope you have as good luck with your GM. GM is currently building some of the best cars on the planet.

14th Jan 2009, 08:34

Update #1: 1,900 miles. As you can see, I don't drive much LOL. This car is more of a pleasure car as I have an older one to knock around in. I have had no problems with this car to date and get around 30mpg in mixed driving. The only complaint are the seats. You sit on them instead of in them. It would not be as noticeable if I drove this car exclusively, but after getting out of my 98 Escort and into this car, it becomes apparent. The cupholders are fairly useless as well. But, reliability counts for a lot and this car delivers.

5th Apr 2009, 13:59

Update 2: The car now has just 4,800 miles, as I haven't been driving too much except back and forth to work. No mechanical issues to report, however, the driver's seat back is showing significant wear on the outer side. Had same problem with 06 Impala.

11th Aug 2009, 18:34

You can't say this is a reliable car if it only has 4,900 miles. It's basically still new at that point. Wait until you get about 50,000 miles. You'll start getting the usual problems that plague all Chevy's at that point.

12th Aug 2009, 18:16

Agreed with the above. Be proactive, cut your losses, and trade it for a Civic or Corolla before the problems start. You'll be glad you did.

6th May 2010, 13:42

I did take a proactive step... I traded for a 2010 Cobalt LT. Having had my previous one for two years with NO issues, I am confident enough to purchase a new one.

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Sedan 2.2 liter Ecotech from North America

Model year2008
Year of manufacture2007
Engine and transmission 2.2 liter Ecotech Manual
Previous carSaturn SC

Summary:

I love my Cobalt

Nothing has gone wrong yet, however, I have only 2200 miles on it. One thing though, is that when it's really cold, there's a crunching sound in the suspension when I hit some substantial bumps. I hope somebody can tell me what that is. I hope it's nothing serious. Maybe some ice getting between something or some bum shocks?

General Comments:

Has great take off once out of 1st gear. I can usually leave most in my dust on take off.

Great on gas. Great handling. Very large trunk space. I could fit a whole family in there. It's comfortable enough for me, though some would disagree.

I don't like the automatic lights though. I would prefer to have the option to turn them on if I wanted to. Now I just turn them off in the daytime. Even the dealer said you may go through more headlight lamps.

Other than all that, a very sweet car.

Review Date: 29th February, 2008