2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Cheap, low budget car. Wish I hadn't bought it

Numerous front bushings replaced.

Rotors replaced 3 times.

Electric steering motor failed.

Engine light on randomly.

Random no start; turns over but won't start.

Both front speakers don't work.

Radio reception is crap.

Transmission lines replaced due to major leak, $300.

General Comments:

Overall, a very cheaply made car. All hard plastic, light grey color seats and cheap carpet. They stain if you look at them.

It gets 32 MPG on the highway. GM claims 52. That's straight flat highway doing 110km/h.

The brakes are awful. The front rotors warp every 6 months. The rears squeal, and have to be cleaned and deglazed all the time.

For whatever reason, it goes thru wiper blades every month. From cheap $6 blades from Canadian Tire, to $20 blades from the GM parts department, they all go hard, chatter and smear on the window.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2013

5th Sep 2013, 16:37

That's pretty much normal wear and tear. Vehicles don't last 250K without problems any more. They're too complex.

Slamming on the brakes will wear out the rotors.

The radio reception may suffer if the antenna clipped a tree or shrub backing out of a driveway.

Are you putting glass cleaner on the wiper blades? That'll corrode the rubber and make them all sticky and greasy like you're talking about.

All around a pretty good truck I'd say.

7th Sep 2013, 19:05

When, exactly, did vehicles ever "last 250K without problems"?

Because I'll buy one ASAP.

10th Sep 2013, 02:03

Actually many American cars will last 250,000 miles without problems. I sold my 1990 Dodge at 240,000 plus miles in perfect running condition. The new owner drove it to over 300,000. While I owned it, it had only two brake jobs, two timing belts and one hose replaced. It never had shocks replaced or an alignment. The A/C was never serviced and worked perfectly. This has been typical of every Ford, GM or Chrysler vehicle we have ever owned.

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Reliable little gas saver from GM

At just under 55,000 miles, it developed a small gas leak where one of the lines meets the gas tank. Was not very hard to fix.

General Comments:

I have been overall very pleased with my Cobalt. I bought it in early Feb. of 2011 with 14,000 miles on it. I have put an additional 41,000 since then, and have not had any major issues with the car.

It is not the most powerful car, but it can get up and go when you need it. It gets good gas mileage, has decent room for a small car, and has been very reliable.

Like most cars, if you take care of it properly and do regular maintenance, it will take care of you.

Review Date: 4th November, 2012

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2 Dr LS 2.2 Ecotec from North America

Summary:

Nice car for a young driver, and it won't break the bank

Noisy A/C blower motor replaced under warranty.

The electric power steering motor was recalled by GM, and has been repaired, although we didn't experience any problems with it.

General Comments:

I bought this car for my 16 year old daughter as a replacement for another car she totaled. I got it for a great price. It is the 2 Dr model, and very sporty looking for a teenager to drive. She likes it because it doesn't look like something I would drive :)

It is totally the base model. No power windows, door locks or cruise control. I don't mind not having power windows - given that there are only two windows that can be lowered. I have to add that this car is one of the nicest cars to drive with the windows down I have ever seen. While driving most cars with the windows down gives you the sensation of a tornado trying to blow your eyebrows off, this one is different. It is very pleasant. My daughter seems to have both windows down all the time, she loves it. I do NOT like the back wrenching stretch that is involved to reach over and unlock the passenger door, however. Power door locks and the auto-locking feature should be standard.

It is a manual transmission model, and my daughter thinks it is pretty cool that she can drive a stick, while her friends are stuck driving their parents 10 year old 4 door sedans with an automatic transmission. The shift is short and precise, surprisingly slick for such an inexpensive car. I have to admit that I think driving it is fun, and the acceleration is sprightly.

It gets excellent fuel economy - about 30 mpg for our combination of city/highway driving, and pure highway trips are around 34 MPG. For such a basic car, it does have a trip computer, tire pressure monitoring system, an outside air temperature display, which warns of the possibility of icing conditions, an oil change reminder, XM radio and a convenient way to plug her Ipod into the car stereo. It has a nice climate control system and comfortable seating (at least the FRONT seats) Rear seats are a nice looking cargo shelf in my opinion. Teenagers don't seem to mind, however.

Trunk/cargo space is good, and front and side airbags are standard. Ride is a little harsh, but the handling is secure.

This seems to be the perfect car for a young driver. Sporty looks set it apart from the other cars in the high school parking lot, while being cheap to operate and inexpensive to purchase are what all parents are looking for. It seems that wherever my daughter and friends go, they want to take her car. I like that I can afford to give my daughter a reliable car with modern features (safety and otherwise) that she can be proud of. It has a great warranty, and I believe that this car can take her through college, and get her on the road to financial independence.

Review Date: 18th March, 2011