2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Reviews - Page 2 of 4

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 2.2L from North America

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.2L Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Cobalt

Summary:

It's good

The right window (it is a coupe) squeaked horribly when rolled down, and the dealer was not very good at fixing it.

There was a recall on the power steering about 2 weeks after I bought it. The dealer fixed it for free, but it was still a time commitment.

Dealer has high prices for general maintenance.

General Comments:

The engine is VERY loud for its size.

The quality of the interior plastics is exceptionally poor.

The center console is directly over the parking brake when it is down. This causes you to choose between an armrest and the ability to brake in an emergency.

The trunk release is inside a drawer, which is completely impractical.

If locked with the remote, the car alarm will go off if you try to unlock it with a key.

Car gets worse gas mileage than I expected. I suspect this is because I have the MyLink Technology Package, which includes 16" touring tires rather than 15" passenger tires.

Car handles well.

Tolerably quick in second gear, but 60-70 is fairly slow.

Anti-lock brakes not standard.

Review Date: 13th April, 2011

14th Apr 2011, 12:10

I feel the same way about mine. If GM had spent a few more bucks on the materials used in this car, it would have been untouchable compared to a Toyota, Honda, etc. I got mine on clearout for a good deal, so I can't complain too much.

15th Apr 2011, 20:26

If the characteristics touched on in the review are called "good" by the original poster, he or she must be very easily pleased.

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt from North America

Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carFord Crown Victoria

Summary:

Solid vehicle for the money

None.

General Comments:

I drove this car as a company rental for a week in a major metro city. Being 6'4, I was surprised by the room, and found it a pretty comfortable riding car for its size.

Mileage was excellent on the freeways, but only average around town, as it took a heavy foot to get this car around in rush hour traffic.

It does have a strong climate control system, and the radio was pretty good for this class of car.

The only real negatives that I found was a jerky steering feedback at times, and the general lack of power for heavy traffic conditions.

Review Date: 26th February, 2011

27th Feb 2011, 14:21

Almost any new car is good for a while. The real test comes later when there is no more warranty, and the car still has to perform well on a daily basis. I don't think the Cobalt holds up too well after you rack up some mileage. GM has a poor track record for small and compact cars compared to Toyota and Honda.

10th Oct 2011, 12:34

My 2007 Cobalt LT2 has 150,000 and still performs flawlessly. The only problem was a faulty fuel pump that was recalled. No, I do not get the rated MPG, (I get 29 mpg combined) but I drive the crap out of my Cobalt, and it never hesitates in going.

11th Oct 2011, 19:04

The Cobalt was not a bad car at all. I do think its replacement, the Cruze, is a very good car. A leading automotive magazine ranked it higher than Corolla (which ranks near the bottom of most tests) and the Civic, which is now dated and lacking in sophistication compared to Ford and GM. The Chevy Cruze Eco gets better mileage than the Prius (50 mpg highway). I'm seeing a lot of Cruzes here being used by companies. I'd opt for a new Cruze or Ford Focus if I were looking for a car in this size range.

The Hyundai Elantra is also a very good compact car, but I prefer not spending my car money on foreign companies.

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LT1 Eco from North America

Engine and transmission Eco Automatic

Summary:

My 1st car!

Only thing I don't like about the car is how it jerks when I take my foot off the accelerator. Is this normal?

General Comments:

I love my Cobalt, I call it Harmony. My siblings & I commute 35 minutes to school everyday. I love it, I achieve 35mpg combined the whole trip. I put under 400 miles in it a week, and it's still very reliable. It is very smooth, and the ecotec engine is quiet.

I just don't like the jerking it does when I let go of the accelerator. Can someone please tell me if this is normal?

My next car will be a Prius.

Review Date: 28th December, 2010

29th Dec 2010, 10:48

A Prius? I'm going to be the first customer for the Volt when it arrives to D.C. I can't wait til that comes out.

29th Dec 2010, 17:54

As a fellow new Cobalt owner, I have the same thing happen to me, and was told it is normal, when you're letting off the gas, the pedal's "throttle cable wire" tells the engine to reduce power. What your feeling is the transmission shift into low gear, which drops the RPMs, and you're basically coasting at this point.