1984 Chevrolet Corvette Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1984 Chevrolet Corvette targa Crossfire Injection from Italy

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission Crossfire Injection Automatic
Previous carFord Mustang

Dealer promised to change all doors and roof gaskets, and after 3 years I had to order them for $600.

Some interior lights had to be replaced.

This year radiator started to lose coolant liquid making the engine to blow on warm days like a hot soup.

Brakes need to be checked.

Alternator does not work properly.

General Comments:

Same old story. You buy a used car from a 100 tooth smile dealer and seems it never ends surprising your wallet. After all it's an old one and who knows what had been changed or modified to make it look new.

But oh well, that's how it is with used bergains.

After all it's a great sport classic car still able to catch attentions from anywhere (expecially women) affordable with a reasonable price, even if those 80s low performance engines should be replaced with something new.

I think this is one of the slowest Corvettes because of the old Crossfire Injection (from 79 to 86 I guess) but still kicks ass!

Review Date: 12th August, 2004

23rd Dec 2005, 12:22

I am not being disrespectful of the first comment, but the cross-fire was used in 1982 and 1984 (no 1983s were made due to design problems for using a V8). To the review writer- the 1984 is the slowest of the C4s with only 205HP and 290 FT/LBS. My father raced me with his 1971 vette with 270HP+ (his is slightly tuned. My 1984 vette flew past him without a problem. By the way it is stock!

The 1984 was the first corvette to be called a super car. With it's 49/51 weight it handled better than any corvette before it and with the Z51 package you were sure to have one of the best handling cars in the world- even by today's standards.

1984 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 5.7L from North America

Engine and transmission 5.7L Automatic
Most recent distance92000 miles
Previous carPorsche 911

Summary:

For having what these cars have its unbelievable how cheap they are

The intake manifold gasket failed at 82,000 miles.

On both seats the stitching was pulled apart.

When I received the car the air conditioning did not work.

The exhaust hanger broke, but only took 20 seconds to weld.

The front suspension has a very loud and annoying squeak, but I think that will be easy to fix.

The starter failed at 90,000 miles, but a new stainless steel starter only cost $130 with core.

The radio has been giving me all kinds of problems, but could be fixed if I would come around to installing a CD player.

General Comments:

The C4 Corvette I think is the best all around sports car. If you know how to turn a wrench and read a repair manual you can figure these cars out. The small block Chevy has been around for almost 50 years so the parts are easy to find and there is a endless amount of different performance modifications you can do to these engines. You could easily get 350 to 400 horsepower with out the aid of a turbocharger, supercharger or nitrous, but I am not saying the corvette is lacking power in any way.

The suspension is very rough, but handles very well it gives you the feel of a sports car when performance was more important than comfort. The body being fiberglass I couldn't say if I favor it or not over steel. They both have opposite advatages and disadvantages. The thing that probably breaks the tie is that you can brag about it being fiberglass. As for the design of the body I personally like the look of the steel bumper corvettes, but the C4 the aerodynamics is almost 25% better than the 1984 corvette. It still looks better than most every thing on the streets. The hood and the fenders are a one piece unit so it is easier to work on the engine and suspension.

My car is used for a daily driver and only having two seats becomes a real pain. The seats are fairly comfortable and they really hold you in place. The radio is pretty good for being a 20 year old car. I enjoy the digital gauges where you just have to glance at the gauges to find out where you are at.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2003

12th Apr 2004, 18:32

I recently purchase a 1984 corvette that's in great shape it's a 4&3 full power. now to the comment. you have to realize that these cars are 20 years old, and you are going to have some problems here and there, on the over all fix them and continue to be proud to be a corvette owner.

Lonnie Manchester Ct.

1984 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7L from North America

Engine and transmission 5.7L Automatic
Previous carIsuzu Impulse

Summary:

A high performance car with style

Nothing has gone wrong since I purchased this car. It could use some new seats and there is a small oil leak.

General Comments:

What an exciting car! I can`t believe the handling from the Z-51 suspension package. The suspension is so stiff that you feel like you are in a race car. I read some specs for this car and it is rated at.95 G`s. A few minor upgrades to the engine have it running at the same speed as the 90`s Corvettes. A seriously fun car to drive and turns a few heads in the process. Was voted as the best performance car in 1984. I can see why. If you have a chance to get one of these you will not be disappointed.

Review Date: 14th June, 2003

8th Aug 2004, 12:42

Hi.

I totally agree with your statements, as I just bought an 84 Corvette and it is a joy to drive! But I have one problem; how do you get to the spare tire!! I can't to seem to find a way to get to it!! If anyone can tell me, I would appreciate it.