2001 Chevrolet Impala Reviews - Page 2 of 9

2001 Chevrolet Impala 3.4 Liter V6 3 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 3 Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

I love it!!

Problems with head had to be fixed.

Oil intake had to be replaced.

The knuckles in the steering linkage were not lubricated with the correct grease, so they crack and pop; until you take to dealership repairs, which my local did my repair for free, since this is a problem for the Chevrolet Impala for 2001.

I have replaced the driver side power window motor.

Other than that, it drives like a dream! Gets great mileage and has no real problems, other than it has a tendency to back into Castle Wall!

Rides like a dream, and has plenty of room.

General Comments:

Rides like a dream with great gas mileage, and it will fly!

Review Date: 31st May, 2008

2001 Chevrolet Impala Base 3.4 Fuel Injected V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.4 Fuel Injected V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired42000 miles
Previous carSaturn L200

Summary:

Has its imperfections, but is a great cruiser

A few weeks after it was purchased, I didn't have good traction in the back (older tires) and the brakes were making a lot of grinding noises. The brakes were replaced, as were the tires. Total: $675.

In December, in a heavy snow/ice storm, my right windshield wiper must have stripped something, because it stopped having full rotation and seemed really loose. After a couple weeks of heavy snow it just stopped working, but I haven't gotten it fixed because it hasn't presented a problem because its on the right hand side. Its probably the transmission arm, and should cost me 150 or so to replace.

General Comments:

Overall, I am very happy with this car.

It is somewhat powerful, drives like a boat but can handle windy back roads like a sports car.

It is great in snow, mostly because of its high weight and power coupled with the traction control.

It has a great sound system, I have 4 speaker system (2 5&1/2 3 ways in front, and 2 200 watt 6x9s in back.) Coupled with an aftermarket Kenwood radio, they are perfect, with great low levels for the rap songs, and great high levels for the other stuff.

It is a very strong car, meaning I have gotten into a couple smashups in it that would have totaled any other car, basically because of the aluminum frame. One was a 45 degree hit on a curb with the left front wheel, going about 30 mph. Frame protected the whole thing, but the wheel, tie rod, control arm, knuckle, basically the whole suspension was done. Without the aluminum frame it would have crumbled.

It is a great highway driver, easily getting up to speed to merge onto a fast freeway, and cruising comfortably between 90 mph and 110 mph. Top speed from my experiments is at least 120 mph.

Only qualms I have about it are the automatic transmission basically sucks, in the winter and on way back roads (e.g. hills, tight turns) I have the transmission in either 1/2/ or 3 because the tranny does not know how to downshift when it needs to. So I do it.

Also, the lights will not turn off when the car is on, just a pet peeve of mine that I can't sit somewhere with my car on and lights off at night.

Review Date: 13th April, 2008

2001 Chevrolet Impala base model 3.4 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.4 V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Blazer

Summary:

I love this car!!! Chevy did a good job

So far, the only problem I have had is a very, VERY slight antifreeze smell when I drive it. I had it looked at and was told I have a small leak, and to keep an eye on my antifreeze level. I knew this might be a problem, as I have read several reviews on this site about 2001 Impalas having that problem. I am hoping that any problems that might have arisen during the first few miles were taken care of my the previous owners.

So far, so good.

General Comments:

First off, I should say that I am the second owner of this car, so I am not exactly sure if the last owners took good care of it, or if Chevy did a good job, I am hoping it's a little of both, or maybe the latter.

I am very impressed with how well this car handles in ice and snow, especially since I have discovered that I have no ABS in this car. It's possible that I am mistaken on that though, and that maybe the ABS light isn't working. I'll have to check on that.

This car is very fast for a 3.4 engine. It's great for highway driving, and rides very smoothly.

And the highway mileage is wonderful, I am averaging 30-32 MPG highway. Living in Iowa, that's great since I have to drive out of town to do any kind of mall shopping, etc. It's great to find a decent V6 with that kind of mileage, in a day and age of 3 bucks a gallon for gas.

The interior is very roomy. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find a vehicle that matched my Blazer room-wise, but this did, and it's great. I think Chevy did a great job making everything fit that was necessary to the interior. The trunk is huge, which is good for out of town trips, especially camping. And the fact that the back seats fold down is great too, giving more room with the trunk. The seats are pretty comfortable. Everything is within arms reach, so it's pretty nice.

My Impala is equipped with radio and cruise control on the steering wheel, which is something I really wanted. In my Blazer, I always had a problem controlling the radio while driving, and never really felt safe about it.

One of the things I absolutely cannot get over about this car is the fact that I can listen to a radio station, and it can tell me the call letters, frequency, and what song I am hearing. Being a huge music fan, I love this feature. Especially because I tend to be one who forgets where on the dial a station is located. Also when I use the seek feature, it lets me choose what kind of music I am seeking, and chooses only those stations for me. How great is that?

I love having the remote lock/unlock feature. I have never had this feature before, and it's nice. I can set how I want my alarm to chirp when I lock and unlock it, plus I can choose whether or not I have the lights flash to tell me if it's unarmed or armed. Really handy when you're in a noisy or bright atmosphere.

I think this is a good looking car. Mine is navy blue, and it looks pretty sharp. One thing I have always liked about the Impalas are the round tail-lights. It distinguishes them from the crowd.

Another thing I like is the slightly tinted plastic over the headlights (I don't know the technical term for those). I always thought those looked sharp on other vehicles, as it does on this Impala.

I wouldn't change a thing on this car. I absolutely LOVE IT!!!

Review Date: 6th December, 2007

31st Dec 2007, 14:43

I am the original writer of this review, just wanted to note that by accident this is listed as a 2000 Impala, when in fact it is a 2001. Sorry.

10th Dec 2009, 01:03

That coolant smell sounds like you have a leaky intake manifold gasket or head gasket. I would suggest getting a compression and leak down test to anyone who encounters that smell. Finding a leak, and fixing it before said leak gets worse and hydrolocks your engine will save you more money in the long run than putting off the repair. I tried putting off a small leak in a 3800 series II and it ended up costing about the same amount of money to fix the engine leak. Cleaning my engine however ended up taking longer and having to do several oil changes to get all the water out of my oil meant a lot of irritation, plus the cost of several gallons of oil.