2001 Chevrolet Impala Reviews - Page 4 of 9

2001 Chevrolet Impala LS 3.8L V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 3.8L V6 Automatic

Summary:

Like a woman.. Beautiful, but frustrating

Automatic Transmission rebuilt at 65,000kms.

Automatic Transmission replaced at 88,000kms.

Power Steering pump replaced at 70,000kms.

Passenger seat bottom replaced at 40,000kms (after receiving third degree burns from the seat heater)

Indicator stalk replaced at 80,000kms.

Passenger seat belt replaced at 70,000kms.

Clicking noise from steering wheel could not be diagnosed by the dealership (though they agreed it was there). After 7 trips to the dealership they put sound insulation pads/foam in the entire dash to remove the noise.

Ignition switch only likes to start the car when it feels like it. Since the car is now out of warranty I currently cannot afford to replace it.

General Comments:

I love my car, I really do. It's black, it's sexy, and it's just nice to look at in general.

The interior is comfortable, though not very attractive in certain aspects, has all the features and amenities that I want and expect in a car.

I've had non-stop problems with it. The vehicle has been to the dealership for repair more times than all of our previous vehicles combined for the last 30 years.

As much of a lemon as our car is (faulty transmission, electronics, etc), it's been a nice car to own. Our dealership has treated us very well, and provided us a rental car gratis every single time.

Would I buy another Chevrolet again though? Not a chance. I cannot afford the maintenance and upkeep this vehicle requires on a constant basis from mechanical and electrical failures.

Review Date: 20th March, 2007

2001 Chevrolet Impala BASE 3.4L V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 3.4L V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired52000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Lumina

Summary:

A piece of junk - don't buy!

1) My intake manifold gasket broke at 70K miles. This has been a problem on GM's V6 engines for YEARS (affected 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 L) Cost $700. For YEARS GM did NOTHING until around 2002/03.

2) My tranny valve body broke costing me almost $1300.

After the two repairs above, the car now burns 10% more gas which is great with gas being $3.00.

General Comments:

Rides too much like a boat.

Rear seats not comfortable as they're too low.

Review Date: 18th March, 2007

20th Mar 2007, 12:29

GM's V-6's are terrible. They are responsible for giving many of GM's cars an extremely bad reputation, especially in the 80's and 90's. They once made a straight 6 that was good, but all GM V-6's are badly designed.

2001 Chevrolet Impala Standard 3.4L V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 3.4L V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Lumina

Summary:

Frustrating

The 3-wire pigtail that plugs into the passenger lock sensor was bad causing the ignition to lockout for at least 10 minutes, sometimes up to 4 hours. One dealer replaced the passenger lock sensor twice. They could not duplicate the problem in the shop. I finally went to another dealer and they had seen the problem before. Cost me over $1350 total and over 2 years of frustration.

The Intermediate steering shaft felt like it had a slight wobble when turning. It was regreased and then replaced. Finally the technicians said it was not really a problem and to just ignore it.

The intake gasket leaked and had to be replaced.

The radiator cooling fans had to be replaced.

General Comments:

I like the comfortable interior and the exterior body style.

The handling and engine performance is good.

Car feels solid, well built.

Transmission shifts smoothly.

Very good gas mileage. I get about 31mpg on the highway.

Even with all the problems, I still like the way it drives. I plan on keeping it a little longer since the ignition problem is fixed now.

Review Date: 30th August, 2006

6th Apr 2007, 02:29

I had an 01 Impala that I never had a problem out of.

I drove that car to 247,000 miles and never had a problem out of it. I did replace all the bulbs though the second I bout the car at 98,000 miles just to make sure I wouldn't get pulled over.

I also had to replace the factory CD player when it started to skip at about 130,000 miles.

You have a great car don't let her go.

I now drive a 1991 BMW 525i and hope this cars as good.

1st Nov 2008, 18:44

I bought a 2001 Impala in 2002 with 23,000 miles on it.

I love the interior, the ride and the performance; that is when it is running.

I have replaced alternators, brakes like they are going out of style, radio, BCM (Body control module) intake gaskets, and all other normal wear items, and right now it is in my garage tore down to the block, because after I had the car apart a year ago for a intake gasket failing, a Chevrolet techs told me not to worry about head gaskets because they (in their words) NEVER fail. Well they did, and just before that I was having problems with the tranny shifting when it was not suppose to.

I have also had problems with the battery draining for no reason; the Chevrolet and private garages say there is not a draw. Well 4 batteries in a 2 year period tells me otherwise, and I buy all my parts and Chevrolet call me stupid, but I have my beliefs about it.

Like I said, love the design of the car and it is relatively easy to work on. CS Minnesota.