1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4L DOHC V6 from North America

Summary:

Looks good, that's it

Constantly replaced vacuum lines.

Catalytic converter clogged.

Fuel pump going.

General Comments:

I had got this car in 2007 for my 16th birthday, I was so happy because it was the exact car I wanted. The engine was powerful, but sucked gas back like crazy.

Unfortunately I owned this car only 3 months and less than 2000kms; it broke vacuum lines on 4 different occasions in 1 month, and then a clogged cat/dying fuel pump in the last month of ownership. Instead of fixing it, I traded it in at a dealership for $3500 credit on another car.

Overall I don't recommend these cars with the 3.4L V6; they're powerful (215HP/205LBS-Torque), but it's just not reliable enough to warrant a purchase.

If you really want a 90's Monte Carlo, go with the 98+; they use the 3800 Series II engine, which is much better.

Review Date: 15th February, 2010

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4 DOHV from North America

Summary:

Great sporty car for a loyal Chevy driver that can solve a few defects

Alternator at 130k, brake at 180k, console hinge 1999, factory tires went to 130k, fuel pump at 200k, bit of rust forming behind rear wheel at body seam, clearcoat on front bumper starting to peel.

Haven't replaced that cam belt due to the high cost an no apparent need. Replaced plugs myself at 150k.

When new the car idled to low and stopped once in a while at lights, finally harassed dealer into checking the tech bulletins and found a simple chip upgrade solves that problem. Also harassed them into diagnosing and fixing the clatter in the engine, another factor defect in the timing belt tightener.

If GM would simply get on top of these few design defects they wouldn't be bankrupt and loyal Chevy drivers like me would do a lot less cursing.

General Comments:

Has power and handling beyond anything I need for regular driving. Could use more bottom end torque since power really cuts in around 4000rpm.

Bought it new in 96 and have commuted from suburbs in Calgary through summers and winters for 13 years and 220,000km.

Commuted 300km weekly to Edmonton though-out 2002 including worst snowfall/storms on record. Watched a Z71 puck-up spin out of control on new snow while my Monte went straight line at 70mph often spinning those factory issue M+S tires. Got 30mpg at 75mph most of that year.

Review Date: 4th June, 2009

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Black on black

O2 sensor at 224000 miles.

Fuel pump at 221000 miles.

Water pump at 221000 miles.

Worn seats.

General Comments:

Love it. I've replaced parts as needed since I got it. It's pricey but cheaper than the Ford. Still gotta change the wires but it still hauls. These cars are NON-INTERFERENCE engines. They do not fry the valves when the timing breaks.

I'm sure it could happen, but if you're hitting 6000 rpm and stuff breaks, well, you're gonna harm other things.

Review Date: 6th February, 2009

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z-34 3.4L from North America

Summary:

Spiffy

Bleeding out from the #6 cylinder head since 121000 miles. Still has lots of power, just bleeds oil. Normal wear on interior. Trying to preserve by doing a 3800 series swap.

General Comments:

Nice car overall, always wanted one since they came out in 1995.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2007

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3.1L V6 from North America

Summary:

White beauty

I just got this car like a week and a half ago. When I purchased the car I didn't notice that the oil was bad. So the next day I go to take it in the get an oil change and they say that the car required specific coolant. The orange orange/pink stuff. So I had that flushed. When they tried to start the car it wouldn't start. I had it towed back to the dealership immediately. When the car got off of the tow truck it started right up and the dealership guys test drove it around the block, and said it was fine. I drive it for another day until it did the same thing while I was in the process of getting new tires. I had it towed AGAIN and they finally figured out that the module chip to the fuel pump was bad. Ever since, it has been okay.

The rear right shock absorber needs to be replaced.

The transmission shifts hard which kind of frightens me. Just thinking that it could possibly be going. I think I might have the trans. fluid changed and flushed this weekend. I heard that Lucas slip stuff helps it out a lot.

General Comments:

I love the car! its very sporty, pretty quick. Its very heavy though, I think GM should have just put the Z34 engine in all of them.

The sound system bumps like all new. I love listening to anything in it.

I like how it has the heater and AC temp's for both different sides. (driv. and pass.)

So far, I still like this car.

I just hope that this transmission doesn't have any serious problems in the near future.

Review Date: 1st March, 2007

18th Sep 2007, 13:10

OMG... I was reading this review and I felt like I wrote it. I feel the same way... Its in the shop right now! The mechanic thinks it's a transmition problem... From the comments and compliments about the car (the reviewer) are my EXACT thoughts! I'm shocked!