1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4 from North America

Summary:

This car looks great on a flatbed

A lot of things went wrong in a year and a half with this car. Replace the wires and plugs in this car two times in a matter of 4 months. Replace the brakes two times. Alternator , water pump, fuel injectors have been replace. Overall in a year and a half this car put me about a thousand dollars in the hole for repairs.

General Comments:

This car has great power to it when it runs. I'm impress with the v6 power it has. It this car was 1 thousand pounds lighter and was rear-wheel drive it would be a rocket. The only problem it breaks down every 3 months.

Review Date: 12th May, 2003

28th Oct 2005, 10:15

Have similar problems with my Monte. Service engine light all to frequent, each time it is read with the computer same code.

Multiple misfire, but each time it is different cylinders. Plugs and wires have been changed on numerous occasions. If I leave the car alone for a few days and drive like normal the light will turn off, but return all to quickly. Another problem is that the anti-lock light and airbag light come on and, the car runs sluggish and will not shift into overdrive, must turn off then back on normally fixes problem, but I am looking for a permanent fix if anyone can help please do. However when it runs it runs, most mustangs don't have much on it.

14th Jan 2007, 15:05

I have a 98 Monte Carlo and the Anti lock light comes and goes I've taken it to a couple of shops and they all give me different answers. one says it need a new anti lock braking system put in the other says there is nothing wrong. I have no clue what to do.

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LX 3.1 from North America

Summary:

Very costly to maintain

Manifold in back of engine cracked and cost-ed $280 for a used manifold!!

Console is cheap and likes to break repeatedly (ash tray lid, cover). Glove box shut for good, had to break it open with a flat head screwdriver (cheap).

Water pump went.

Fuel pump went.

Belt tensioner went.

Power window on drivers side is off its track.

Hazard light switch broke.

Paint chipped on window ledge (outside).

Idles choppy and has a funny clicking sound in engine and a clunking in lower front end of engine. Lower end seal was leaking oil $600.

Car is starting to bump in the front end when braking.

All struts needed to be changed.

All in all I have spent about $2500 to $3200 in repairs on this car in about two years of use.

Seals on exterior of windows are starting to droop down.

Door panels are flopping around and I had to glue them down twice.

I have a backyard mechanic who almost starts to cry when I bring this car to him to fix because he has had so much fun with it. (Mainly taking the heat shields off the manifold to change manifold is what mostly caused a lot of his pain). Hope you have alot of time to work on this car if your going to do it yourself!

Welcome to my nightmare.

General Comments:

Overall I love my monte, handles good and its fast. Put a $3000 stereo in this car, crank some tunes and ride till the wheels fall off!

Review Date: 12th May, 2003

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4 liter from North America

Summary:

Very big disappointment

Transmission replaced by the dealer at 15,000 miles.

Transmission needed total rebuild at 29,000 miles.

Alternator replaced at 30,000 miles.

Transmission needed total rebuild at 32,000 miles.

General Comments:

I love this car for it's sportiness, but don't know why I have put up with it this long. It has truly been a disappointment considering the price paid for it.

Definitely has a mechanical defect, making it blow transmissions.

Looks great, but runs terrible.

It handles exceptionally well when it's running.

Review Date: 17th April, 2003

13th Jul 2004, 21:58

Hey I have One still it has 200,000 miles on it and the only thing I had to replace on it was the transmission at 192,000 miles it is a great car you must abuse your.

14th Dec 2005, 13:30

This car is great! It runs great and it looks really sporty, and its fast too! Chicks dig it! I have raced and beaten Mustangs, and many other cars! The car sounds great and looks cool with the dual exhaust! The interior is very comfortable and roomy! Everyone always tells me how much they like my car. I have just over 120,000 miles, and have had no major problems with it. I have replaced the spark plugs, and wires. Other than that the car has been great!