1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Reviews - Page 5 of 6

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z 34 3.4 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.4 V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Chevelle

Summary:

When they are stock, they are junk

I have had all of the same problems as everyone else. The windows don't work right, the console lid is broke, the ash tray lid is broke, the alternator has gone out, the brakes have been changed, the gas mileage sucks, and it idles rough, too. The mass air flow sensor has been replaced twice, the catalytic converter blew out, the sunroof has jumped track, and, at times, the electric fan won't shut off. (Even with the car turned off and the keys in my hand.)

General Comments:

I put about $3500 in aftermarket performance products on the car and bumped the 215bhp up to 285hp. Injectors, full Intake system, cat-back exhaust, mass air flow sensor, coils, wires, and other misc. bolt-ons is what it took for me to like the car. You'd be better off to put the body on a rear wheel drive frame and drop in a big block. It would be a lot more fun.

Review Date: 7th March, 2003

14th Mar 2005, 08:04

Theres a saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it...

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4L V6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 3.4L V6 Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Fast, sporty, reliable car that just costs a little more to maintain.

Replaced the water pump and alternator for a whopping costs of $575. There is over 6 hours of labor for this job due to the location of the alternator. You have to remove right side suspension and cross-member, then lower the engine to get to the alternator. Could have been designed better.

Had to replace ALL 3 coils after 109,000 miles along with new spark plug wires.

Replaced rear passenger rotor after caliper froze closed and the friction killed my rotor (it was red-hot when I got home one day).

Replaced timing belt and timing pulleys and tensioners at 105,000 miles.

Leather back seat is splitting in the middle.

Center console plastic door broke along with my ashtray door.

Passenger window doesn't roll down using the drivers side control, but works using passenger control.

This 3.4L DOHC V6 engine is the most expensive engine that I have owned!!!

General Comments:

Performance is very good!!! Fast car is you know how to drive it. Low RPM's produce limited power, but over 3200 RPM the motor starts to roar!!!

Handling is superb. Nice cornering and holds the road like glue on 16" wheels and good set of tires.

Interior is very ergonomic for a big guy like me, 6' tall, 250lbs. Comfortable even in the back. :)

Radio controls on the steering wheel make a very nice feature so you don't have to take your eyes off the road while changing channels or turning on your CD player.

Review Date: 28th August, 2002

10th Nov 2005, 10:38

I also own a 1996 Z34 Monte. It's expensive to run, but fun to drive. Center console broken also. Driver window does not close right. The rear leather seat is splitting in the middle at the top of the seat back also. I replaced the wires and plugs, 1 rear strut mount, both wheel hub assemblies, 2 tire-rods, 1 ball joint, 1 water pump, 1 0-2 censor, 2 front rotors, 2 mufflers, 1 signal switch, pads and shoes, all in the first 14 months of ownership, but it's good now! I picked up the car cheap and did all the work my self so it is not as bad as it sounds. I get about 550km to 60L of gas, so the fuel economy is not great. Body has one blemish under the fuel door, not bad for a 10 year old car with no bodywork done to it, ever. No problems passing people that's for sure, and I like its looks too. I'm happy with the car, but I'm sure if I had of paid more than $2000.00 Canadain for it I would be upset.

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 3.4 Liter DOHC from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 3.4 Liter DOHC Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Monte Carlo

Summary:

Awesome

No problems with the car so far.

General Comments:

Great running car for the buck. Has strong acceleration and handling. Great Feeling seats With good support. I have had no problems with the car to date. If I had a choice I would by the car all over again. For a small price you get a great looking and driving sports car. The braking in the car is incredible. They are great looking every where I go I can always get a head turned. The exhaust sounds nice and strong like a muscle car. A great car to start out with new drivers. Small and compact to go almost anywhere. Even good in the snow because of its front wheel drive and traction control. Definitely consider this car when buying used. It is a low priced car with a sporty look and great performance.

Review Date: 26th August, 2002

4th Apr 2005, 20:47

So True! I love my Monte Carlo, and so far not one thing has gone wrong with it!