2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4.8L V8 from North America

Summary:

Like a rock. It will not die, still going strong, rust free, tons of miles

Transmission was rebuilt 23,000 miles ago.

Brake master cylinder.

Crank/pulley/sensors/cam sensors.

Tailgate was replaced with '04 salvage.

Original exhaust rusted from Wisconsin winters.

Check engine light blinks; no one can seem figure what be the problem.

Two alignments.

2 batteries.

General Comments:

The truck was always reliable, starts up, and still runs relatively like new. I never had any major expensive problems besides getting the transmission fixed! This truck has done me well throughout the years; before I had two Caprices ('77 and '89); both were great long lasting cars. I need a truck for hauling, so will replace with another old Chevy.

Review Date: 16th November, 2020

18th Nov 2020, 23:13

If the check engine light blinks, it indicates that the engine is misfiring and dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust. The misfire needs to be corrected, or else the catalytic converter could become red hot and cause the car to catch fire. Hence the flashing light. It catches the driver's attention more readily. It is telling you to stop operating the vehicle until the problem is fixed. A potentially hazardous condition. Get it fixed ASAP. Any mechanic that actually knows engines should be able to solve this easily. Good luck!

19th Nov 2020, 21:31

That’s a bit of an overreaction. It should be fixed, but is not that urgent. An oil light coming on requires a more urgent response than a check engine light, blinking or not.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Base 4.8 from North America

Summary:

Buy it, use it, and sell it while less than six years old

Brake hose failure at 487 miles.

The park brake has never been able to hold the truck at an idle in drive.

Tailgate cables replaced under recall.

Piston slap while engine is cold from new (a normal condition according to the dealer).

Rear brake pads replaced under warranty at 8000 miles and every 20,000 miles since then.

Rear brake dust shields rusted away, and were replaced at 53000 miles.

ABS servo motor electrical connector corroded and required wiring repair at 55000 miles.

Rear bumper perforated with rust at 58,000.

Rear spring shackles rusted and failed at 60,000.

Passenger side doors, rocker panels and cab corners perforated by rust at 68,000 miles.

Tailgate hinge on the drivers side of the tailgate disintegrated at 70,000 miles.

Rear brake line rusted through at 74,000 miles.

Passenger window regulator cable failed at 76,000 miles.

Fuel pump failed at 85,000 miles.

General Comments:

This replaced my 1984 Dodge D250 2WD. I would assume that many of the faults are due to low use, except that the failures occur on one side.

The passenger doors rusted, but the driver's side are fine.

The driver's side spring shackle failed, but not the right side.

The rear brake line rusted through at the last 4 inches before it attached to the hose, but the rest of the line showed minimal rust.

I work with six guys that own 2001 to 2006 Silverados, and we all have the same issues. Some are high mileage workhorses that tow or plow, others low mileage light use, yet the problems persist.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2014

2002 Chevrolet Silverado LT 5.3L from North America

Summary:

This truck sold me on Chevy and the 5.3L Vortec engine

At about 90,000 miles the passenger window regulator went out.

Every so often the transmission slips when taking off from a stop. But this has not happened enough to warrant a visit to the shop, since it only happens for a second.

General Comments:

Overall this truck has seriously exceeded my expectations! I never cared one way or the other between Chevy and Ford, but this truck with the 5.3L Vortec engines has made me a Chevy truck guy.

I pulled my wife's Mini Cooper on a Uhaul trailer moving from FL to MT with 125,000 miles on the dial without a hitch. The only issue I had was when we side tracked into the Black Hills of SD. I had to take the Mini off the trailer coming out of the steep hills. I don't think the computer had enough time to acclimate to the thinner air in the mountains.

Other than routine items; tires, brakes, belts, etc., I have done nothing to the engine or tranny. There currently is an oil leak, but I have not investigated it much. I think the oil drain plug needs a new crush washer. I had the truck looked over to get it ready for winter, and no oil link was found.

Review Date: 9th December, 2012