17th Sep 2016, 21:54

But it takes fossil fuel to build this car!

18th Sep 2016, 11:54

Yes, virtually every product or service involves the consumption of fossil fuels. This of course includes the manufacturing of regular cars, hybrids, and pure electrics. But how much fossil fuels are consumed in the operation of these three types of cars every year? The regular car may consume hundreds of gallons of gasoline, but the hybrid may only consume tens of gallons. Of course maintenance and spare parts will also involve consumption of fossil fuels, but I am looking at that as a constant across the board. So unless the production or maintenance of the hybrid involves far larger amounts of fossil fuels, then I would guess that the hybrid car will be the most "green" choice over the lifetime of the car.

18th Sep 2016, 17:47

Excellent response to a pointless comment!

18th Sep 2016, 21:03

I ran this idea by my wife. Dead set against dealing with this on her commute. Dragging cords out to our trunk etc is a pain. Takes time away from stopping for Starbucks or grocery shopping on the way to work and back.

19th Sep 2016, 01:17

The biggest obstacle to overcome is being inconvenienced. Cheapness is all well and good, but being tethered to hooking up and tethering cords is another. Leaving early in the morning or heading out late is enough to deal with. Most want to park and head inside.

19th Sep 2016, 13:54

What is pointless? Not everyone wants one. It's as if the only alternative is promoting a hybrid car only. Maybe being realistic, more carpooling and promoting public transit. Having a rail system like in Europe. One person travelling in one car of any kind is not the same. I can literally walk or bike to work. It's amazing how far people will drive to work. Maybe move close and save energy. Or start with the biggest polluters on the highways such as tractor trailers exempt from emission tests. Or more testing of alternate fuels to adapt and power the millions of vehicle that are already on the road. And people are keeping cars longer.

19th Sep 2016, 15:29

"I do not buy used cars or others headaches"

I don't know about that, I just bought a used 2013 Grand Sport Vette manual trans. and it's far from a headache.

20th Sep 2016, 17:05

Would far more want to drive that with the top down.

22nd Sep 2016, 14:43

I can see if it's a green effort. If it's just going for cheap, cheap small car transportation I am not. Life is short and you can't take every nickel with you. Hefty commutes reduce your quality of time home with family etc. I have a good friends in Ct. living in a community where riding or walking is preferable than cars. Our drive to work is less than 10 minutes. And we are home at 4:40 PM. As short as the drive is, it's comfortable and simple. Grocery shopping etc within a few miles. Racking up high mileage on the odometer is not very kind to resale as well.