22nd Sep 2004, 00:24

What car have you got now? The time spent with a VH charger in England, U.K. was quite an experience. It had enough performance, even though it was "only" a 318 cu in v8 auto. {5.2 litres} the car even fitted in the domestic garage at home. No electronic anything on these cars, basic equipment, Remembering that thease are now over 30 years old. They are run now mostly as hobby cars. Retro engineering abounds in most areas of classic cars,to improve them. Enjoy them for what they are, mopar missiles, with the styling to match. magic.

26th Jul 2006, 10:59

I own a 1977 CL Charger 770 powered by a 318 V8 with auto transmission. I bought it 8 plus years ago with 103,000 kms on the clock. It now has only 132,450 kms on it. I am the second owner. It is a great car and a treat to drive. It is my toy. Let's see the Japanese make a better one of these.

8th Nov 2006, 04:59

Sorry to disapoint those who think that the old Hemi is not that powerful. Dynoed my old E49 spec engine in my VH sedan and guess what, 235kw at the rear wheels- good for low 13's. Too bad, hey. Sorry to burst your bubble. The Commodore/ Buick V6 doesn't have the design to make that sort of power reliably and unassisted. Of course you could modify that motor so it became a right screamer, but odds are that it will go pop. The engine block can handle only so much stress without bracing.

A friend of mine had a turbo charged EFI 4.3L hemi, and it was a scary machine to ride in. I don't recall the stats of this car, 1/4 mile times or HP, but they were somewhat surprising.

Note: Please research things before making your opinion known and bagging a very respected engine.

4th Aug 2016, 13:28

I have had a drag with my CM Regal 265 e34 motor with extractors and exhaust with both a CL Charger and VP Commodore. The Charger got off the line best. Close contest between the 3 of them. The CM was pulling ahead of the Charger at 110km/h as the e34 motor, as distinct to the standard e33, was better up top.

I now have a VS V6 4 speed auto Commodore wagon with extractors, exhaust and cold air intake, and it would blow a 3 speed auto Chrysler out of the water. Perhaps a 4 speed CM with extractors and exhaust would be a closer match. With a big carbie like a 625 Carter, it could be a close call. Thought I would put my 20 cents worth in.

4th Aug 2016, 13:35

I do agree with you. I had a 265 with extractors and exhaust. Had a big carbie on it once and the car would run high 14s across a quarter. My VS Commodore has similar mods and is nearly as quick. The Commodore can be induced to go quick, but the hemi is easier to get to go quick. I have driven a 318 cop car that did 14.7 in 1977 stock! Saw the drag strip printout.