12th Dec 2013, 14:30

Hi there, I live in Johannesburg. I have the exact same car and the exact same problem, except mine does not cut off when I step on the clutch. Kindly assist me on how you went about with cleaning the butterfly, where exactly is it situated etc? Thanks.

14th Mar 2014, 12:28

Air pollution failure... It's happened to me. The engine just cutout. I need a new fuse I'm told!!! Not happy.

2nd Jun 2014, 13:39

I have a 1.4 16v coupe and the anti-pollution light keeps coming on!! The coil pack has been changed and it still won't start. The ECU is now being sent to England to sort the problem! Fingers crossed it works.

23rd Jun 2014, 13:46

I have had the same issue, and was told it was the gear box matrix that required replacing at a cost of £1700.00, which luckily we had mechanical cover for, but had to pay £250 excess, and when the car came back, it was the same within in a few days.

12th Jul 2014, 01:33

I agree with all the comments on this page. I would never buy another French car. Where I live in Australia, not one, correct, not one mechanic will touch it, so I always have to go back to Citroen, which is miles from where I live, and they simply do not have a clue what they're doing.

The brakes went a month after I bought it new. 7 times back to the workshop and they couldn't fix it. Fortunately a brake specialist at the time fixed it in 20 minutes. Since then I've had no end of problems with the EPS/ABS failing, coolant leaking into the cabin, a failed radiator, failed air conditioner, both of which were replaced, and just yesterday the air conditioning is now stuck with one outlet on freezing cold and the other one on hot, and as well as that, the interior dash lights won't switch off. As usual, Citroen have no idea what could be causing the problem, even though I've googled the air conditioning problem and it seems pretty straightforward to me what part is required and how to fit it.

The after sales service of my local Citroen dealer is terrible, and so I'll be going back to a Japanese car myself, as soon as I can fix this latest problem for trade in.

2nd Aug 2014, 20:07

My VTR+ 2 litre petrol has these faults:

Engine management light on.

Depollution system fault.

The car cuts out when driving; loss of power, engine stops. Then the dash lights up with hand brake light and ESP light faults.

11th Oct 2014, 11:18

Count me in with Watchdog. I have a 2008 1.6 C4 Grand Picasso automatic, and have had a year of the depollution light coming on and loss of power. Once when overtaking a lorry, and yesterday when pulling out of a service station onto the motorway.

It went to the garage again last week and had a new throttle cable fitted, as it seemed to be whenever I needed to put my foot down, but yesterday on a 150 mile drive it happened 7 times, even though I was speeding up 1 mile at a time using the cruise control. It's been on diagnostics twice, but nothing shows up. I lose power with no warning and have depollution, ESP, service and hand brake fault all show up on my dash. If I stop and turn the engine off and on, I have power back, but the depollution light stays on. This should be a recall as it is so dangerous.

3rd Dec 2014, 19:20

I have just bought a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 diesel, and I will be contacting Watchdog, as I am experiencing the same problems as the last post.

I feel driving this car with the unknown fault is dangerous and worrying, and Citroen should be doing something about it.

The car lost power 5 times in 3 miles, and had the de-pollution system faulty message and light on dash.

Took it to a local garage who said it just needed a new fuel filter. 5 days later this happened. Not happy at all.

8th Dec 2014, 15:03

I bought a Citroen C4 about two months ago and I'm having the same problems I've seen over and over again. It seems as if the car has got a mind of its own. I've took it to work today, but as it stands it might or might not bring me home. Depending on its mood, it probably won't start. The faults that come up are handbrake, speed or cruise, water in diesel filter, depollution, and the list goes on and on. It's been serviced two weeks ago, and every time it's been diagnosed it seems to be fine. I'm gonna get rid. No more French cars for me.

12th Dec 2014, 08:43

I have 2009 C4 VTS THP. The de-pollution warning and engine management light come on/go off with total irregularity 'every now and then'! This has only been happening for approx 2 months, seemingly for no reason! Associated with this is loss of turbo power, making the car feel like an asthmatic one litre! I use a Citroen specialist, who to date, with diagnostics, has still not been able to pin point the problem. This is so infuriating, as apart from this fault, the car has always proved to be a very comfortable, quick, relaxed and economical vehicle. I, as many previous people have commented, have sadly found Citroen main agents to be utterly appalling in both their customer care and technical departments. I have driven Citroens for almost 20 years.

21st Dec 2014, 11:49

Exactly the same problem just occurred on mine, a 1.8 VTR petrol model. De-pollution system error, ECU error, handbrake error, misfire when idle, accelerator seems sticky too. Spent £200 at a local garage getting new plugs, fuel injectors cleaned, lots of labour cost investigating it - problem not solved. Happened after the fuel tank was low and I was forced to fill up at dodgy garage, which is rumoured to have contaminated storage tanks. I've thrown Redex into the engine, fingers crossed, but not hopeful.