2002 Citroen C5 Reviews - Page 2 of 10

2002 Citroen C5 Exclusive 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.0 petrol Automatic
Previous carToyota Estima Emina

Summary:

Luxury sized and specification at bargain basement prices. Great budget family motoring

Anti-pollution fault warning days after purchase. Cat converter and sensors replaced by dealer.

General Comments:

Very, Very comfortable. Excellent cruiser. Loads of rear passenger space - 6ft tall plus can sit in the back comfortably. Ridiculously good value for money on the used market due to a perception that they are unreliable.

Superb automatic box with sequential manual override and sport mode.

Review Date: 9th June, 2010

2002 Citroen C5 Prestige 2.0 litre turbo diesel from Denmark

Engine and transmission 2.0 litre turbo diesel Manual
Most recent distance202000 kilometres
Previous carCitroen Xsara

Summary:

Better than most executives

Nothing.

General Comments:

The Citro├źn C5 2.0L HDi is without question the most comfortable car I have ever had.

Review Date: 9th December, 2008

2002 Citroen C5 ELX 2.0 HDI from Malta

Engine and transmission 2.0 HDI Automatic
Most recent distance42000 miles
Previous carNissan Terrano II

Summary:

Once bitten, twice shy

Automatic gearbox has been changed twice. 1st at 15000 and 2nd time at 42000

Faulty electronics especially suspension

Speedo cluster has been changed

Noisy brakes.

General Comments:

Gearbox has been changed twice, 1st time under warranty, 2nd time from my own pocket. Have meet several similar C5 owners who have had the gearbox changed either under warranty or out of their own pocket. I have seriously questioned the reliability of manufacturer on this particular part but Citroen have refused to comment.

Changed speedometer cluster because speedometer went dead. Very costly repair. Suspension not so good and although height sensors have been changed if I do not park with steering straight it will go up and down until battery fails. Have changed disk brakes several times, including disks but braking noise persists to such extent that cars in front move aside thinking a lorry is approaching.

Otherwise comfortable ride when its on the road.

Review Date: 15th July, 2008

2002 Citroen C5 LX 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol Manual
Previous carFiat Punto

Summary:

Bang on family car, with an excellent ride

Well I don't have the car now, but thought I best write a review on it. I had it for 8 months in total, and nothing went wrong while I had it; just a service and a cambelt change; other than that nothing.

General Comments:

In the 8 months I had this car it was brilliant. It was the estate version; better than the saloon as the rear end on the saloon doesn't look right. Anyway I loved the car.

Being 19 you might think that it is odd for me to have one of these, but I did buy it to sell on, but ended up keeping it. Glad I did; it was trouble free motoring and I thrashed it everyday, and it never missed a heartbeat.

Performance not brill, but considering the weight, it's not too bad handling. I thought it was not bad for an estate, and it really surprised me when I chucked it round a bend for the first time.

It is a very pleasant and comfortable car to drive. The suspension is fantastic; it's like riding on a cushion of air.

It's a massive car with a huge boot.

The build quality isn't bad, but not brilliant, and it ain't the best looking car, but for an everyday car its brill and really cheap to buy.

I have a Ford Mondeo on a 53 plate now, a TDCi 130 bhp; that's a good car, but the Citreon was easier to drive to be honest, but the ford is a better car overall. But if you want cheap and cheerful, buy one of these, it's a great family car.

The reliability I think is fantastic; my parents own a taxi company, and we have had a few Peugeot 406s petrol, and they have been the same reliability wise, and they have got more than 200,000 miles on them, and they're still going strong, and being the same engines as the Citroen, there is no reason why they can't do that.

Overall fantastic.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2008

2002 Citroen C5 LX Estate 2.0 HDi 90 from UK and Ireland

Model year2003
Engine and transmission 2.0 HDi 90 Manual
Previous carCitroen Xantia

Summary:

One for grandad and his caravan on sunday

It has flickering headlights, and the lights are slow to respond if you want to flash your lights; it responds a second after you flash them.

It doesn't handle anything as well as my old Xantia, which I have kept for now as my first reaction was to sell the C5.

My model is only the 90hp, which is a real slug and unresponsive like diesels of old. I would be most unhappy with the car as is. I think it may be worth keeping if fitting a tuning kit and induction kit or sports filter.

I use roof bars in my work, and the roof is much higher than the Xantia for loading, meaning that I have to drop the suspension down every time I want to load unload.

It's just so boring... but no problems with reliability so far.

General Comments:

I think once you get past the electronic gadgets, which are likely doomed to fail and cost mega money to have repaired, it's a big let down. It's no better than the Xantia, which had more than its share of electrical faults.

It's a nice car in some aspects, and a nice comfortable ride.

Acceleration is dreadful, it's probably dangerous if you need to overtake, if something is coming the other way on the horizon then you don't have enough space to overtake! If you have to overtake then you will need to drop back and take a run at it.

The longer I have owned it, the more it is growing on me, as it is bigger than the Xantia and the stereo is good.

The best I can say is it was cheap to buy and cheap to run, and fairly practical and roomy. It's best suited to cruising up and down the motorways all day and night.

Review Date: 5th March, 2008