2001 Daewoo Leganza SE 2.2 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Very reliable

I have had my Leganza for about 7 years.

Since I got it, I have had to replace the alternator and a head gasket, an intake manifold gasket, and a valve cover gasket. Me and my friend changed them.

Besides normal maintenance and tune ups, this car has been amazing. Everything but my passenger window in the back works.

My A/C has never been charged, and it's not as hard to get replacement parts as you may think.

I really love my Daewoo, and would buy another one.

Review Date: 11th February, 2013

2001 Daewoo Leganza 2.2L DOHC from North America

Summary:

Wouldn't wish this car on my worst enemy

Dash peeled up underneath the windshield and around the instrument cluster. On a trip to the junkyard to look for parts, I noticed all three Daewoo Leganzas had this same problem.

Rear window passenger side motor went out. Window no longer rolled down.

Sunroof motor went out.

Front passenger window motor was on its way out.

Stuck valve in engine caused engine to start missing.

A/C was already out when I bought it. Replaced condenser, expansion valve, evaporator, and transducer. Was going to replace compressor next but then...

One of the idler pulleys in the timing belt compartment seized. Tried replacing timing belt and tensioners, but since this is an interference engine, and Daewoo's marvelous engineering department decided to use a belt instead of a chain it was too late. Engine was shot.

General Comments:

This car is a piece. They start falling apart anywhere from 60-100k and will cost you a lot of money if the stuff that goes wrong is even fixable. It looks nice, but that's about all it's got going for it. Mechanically it is not very sound, and is certainly not dependable. I had this car for a year and it left me stranded several times. After searching the web, it seems my experience is not unique among Daewoo owners.

Also, it gets terrible gas mileage. I average about 18mpg, about the same as what I was getting from my 6cyl F150.

Review Date: 13th August, 2009

4th Jan 2011, 15:21

Bought a second car... If the car itself was in poor condition, why did you buy it... terrible on gas... Get the engine flushed... install new sparks... Clean injector.. Install new air filter... Drain out old coolant... Clean radiator...

Who's gonna teach you how to get your own car service... Rather then giving negative views about the car... A car's life is all about the fluids inside your car... Keep it as fresh as possible.

2nd Aug 2013, 21:51

I have to agree that the Daewoo is a deathtrap. Had it for about a year, do not buy this car! I also have a huge list of problems too! I'm actually waiting for my new car to be dropped off now, because one more day of driving the Daewoo with my baby in it is very risky; control arms and stabilizing bar is ready to snap! I'm buying a Honda! THANKS for the near death experience Daewoo! Not.

2001 Daewoo Leganza SX 2.0 from Norway

Summary:

Reasonable, reliable and well equipped, but a bit 'plain'

Replaced front right shock absorber at 80,000 KM.

Replaced parts for ABS brakes at 70,000 KM.

General Comments:

I have had my Leganza for somewhat more than a year, and it has really given me good value. The main problem with it seems to be the low second-hand value, but since I bought it used that was in my favor. To get a equivalent European or Japanese car at that price, I would have had to buy a car 3-4 years older with higher mileage.

The only real problem I have had is that the ABS was interfering with the braking, no matter how good the road grip was, so I had to remove the fuse to drive safely without the ABS active until I could have it fixed.

My only complaint is that the Leganza is not very exciting, and Daewoo has a low status here. I would like to have something fancier, but have let my common sense win in the case of my choice of car, and get my kicks on my motorcycle instead.

Review Date: 28th April, 2009

4th Jan 2011, 15:14

Hmmmm.

If the car is running great.. except.. front suspension.. & ABS... Well buying a second hand car will always gonna give you some pain... But these are just minor repairs... & why do you have trade the car or feel the car doesn't have much value... When the car itself is reliable... keep the fluids fresh... Under the hood...