2001 Daewoo Leganza 2.2 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Absolute garbage

Cracked engine head gaskets and broken exhausts, which affected the fuel economy significantly. The engine constantly made a tapping noise every time I pushed the gas pedal.

Every interior trim inside the car fell apart.

General Comments:

This was my first car I've ever had, and boy I'm glad, because my overall standard for a car isn't as high, thanks to this lump of turd.

Constant oil leakage, the car stopped working twice, every trim in the interior fell apart, it was hands down the worst car I have ever purchased so far in my entire life.

So glad I got rid of it; watching that going out of my garage was one of the best experiences I've had in my life so far.

Stay far away from that car; trust me, it's not worth the stress.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2015

2001 Daewoo Leganza SE 2.2 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Very reliable

I have had my Leganza for about 7 years.

Since I got it, I have had to replace the alternator and a head gasket, an intake manifold gasket, and a valve cover gasket. Me and my friend changed them.

Besides normal maintenance and tune ups, this car has been amazing. Everything but my passenger window in the back works.

My A/C has never been charged, and it's not as hard to get replacement parts as you may think.

I really love my Daewoo, and would buy another one.

Review Date: 11th February, 2013

2001 Daewoo Leganza 2.2L DOHC from North America

Summary:

Wouldn't wish this car on my worst enemy

Dash peeled up underneath the windshield and around the instrument cluster. On a trip to the junkyard to look for parts, I noticed all three Daewoo Leganzas had this same problem.

Rear window passenger side motor went out. Window no longer rolled down.

Sunroof motor went out.

Front passenger window motor was on its way out.

Stuck valve in engine caused engine to start missing.

A/C was already out when I bought it. Replaced condenser, expansion valve, evaporator, and transducer. Was going to replace compressor next but then...

One of the idler pulleys in the timing belt compartment seized. Tried replacing timing belt and tensioners, but since this is an interference engine, and Daewoo's marvelous engineering department decided to use a belt instead of a chain it was too late. Engine was shot.

General Comments:

This car is a piece. They start falling apart anywhere from 60-100k and will cost you a lot of money if the stuff that goes wrong is even fixable. It looks nice, but that's about all it's got going for it. Mechanically it is not very sound, and is certainly not dependable. I had this car for a year and it left me stranded several times. After searching the web, it seems my experience is not unique among Daewoo owners.

Also, it gets terrible gas mileage. I average about 18mpg, about the same as what I was getting from my 6cyl F150.

Review Date: 13th August, 2009

4th Jan 2011, 15:21

Bought a second car... If the car itself was in poor condition, why did you buy it... terrible on gas... Get the engine flushed... install new sparks... Clean injector.. Install new air filter... Drain out old coolant... Clean radiator...

Who's gonna teach you how to get your own car service... Rather then giving negative views about the car... A car's life is all about the fluids inside your car... Keep it as fresh as possible.

2nd Aug 2013, 21:51

I have to agree that the Daewoo is a deathtrap. Had it for about a year, do not buy this car! I also have a huge list of problems too! I'm actually waiting for my new car to be dropped off now, because one more day of driving the Daewoo with my baby in it is very risky; control arms and stabilizing bar is ready to snap! I'm buying a Honda! THANKS for the near death experience Daewoo! Not.