1997 Dodge Caravan Reviews - Page 2 of 12

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 3.0L V6 Automatic
Previous carSubaru Legacy

Summary:

Excellent van that can be picked up cheaply

Electrical systems in the dashboard all shut down-Covered under warranty.

General Comments:

Nicely done family vehicle.

Pros:

Fuel economy, cheap to keep running, comfortable seats, good vehicle for long distance trips, cheap to buy.

Cons:

Minimal cargo space behind the third row, transmission a bit jerky, no feeling through the steering wheel.

Review Date: 14th July, 2007

1997 Dodge Caravan 3.0 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Automatic
Previous carDodge Caravan

Summary:

Roomy, smooth, tough and as dependable as they come

Just normal things. Transmission began making noises at 220kms. It didn't fail, but I had it rebuilt anyway, because I knew it would probably have to be some day.

Heater core seemed to let go (very big job to replace, dash had to come apart). Turned out to be just a leaking "O" ring, but replaced anyway (the dash was apart at this point).

Water pump.

Normal maintenance.

General Comments:

A solid, dependable van over all. Very reliable. Would put my money on this over something new any day.

V6 runs like day 1, still lots of power.

3 speed trans much more solid compared to 4 spd (which I had also). Cheaper to fix, and have fewer problems. My last 3spd had no problems what so ever.

Very good fuel economy for a minivan.

Still looks great, still nice to drive.

Comfortable, dual doors proved to be handy over the years.

Doesn't seem to take any oil.

Will probably last for a long time to come (hopefully). Have seen a lot of these with 600+kms, and no problems.

Review Date: 15th March, 2007

1997 Dodge Caravan Grand 2.4 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Previous carDodge Ram Pickup

Summary:

A model example of an undermined industry

Front left disc brake seized.

Head gasket blew.

Wipers come on by themselves. Dodge wouldn't help.

Leaky transmission pan.

Leaky oil pan and one of the bolts came stripped from the factory.

The radiator still had packing grease (cosmoline) inside of it upon delivery. We didn't find out for a month. Dodge agreed to flush it under warranty.

I am currently doing my own transmission service (I do not trust service slobs anymore) and I have found the reason so many complain about leakiness. The mating metal surfaces are flawed and really should have been rejected. This is what Japanese companies are good at. It makes all the difference in the world, throughout your vehicle.

General Comments:

I believe that there is a conspiracy to scuttle the U.S. consumer industry in favor of the Military Industrial Complex. Now we are at the mercy of foreign companies if we want a taste of quality. Take that away, and take our pride away and you have willing slaves to become life-risking soldiers in a promulgated quest for world real estate domination. Just say no to the New World Order!!!

Review Date: 11th March, 2007

1997 Dodge Caravan Sport from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carMercury Marquis

Summary:

Very disappointed in Dodge

I have enjoyed my Caravan for several years with just the normal routine maintenance, however 1 ½ years ago I started experiencing problem with the engine starting, but not staying running. When this would occur, the dash would go dark and none of the gauges would work. The service engine light, alarm and ABS light would come on together, but that is all. The radio, fan, and lights would all work, but the engine would not continue to run after starting. I have had it in the Dodge dealership as well as private mechanics and no one has been able to figure out the problem. I have changed the body control module 3 times and the engine control module once in addition to having the dash taken apart and all wires checked. Even having all of this done, Dodge could still not find the problem. I never knew when or where I might be stranded. The strangest thing however is that if I left it sit for 24 hours or more it would start up fine and run like a dream. It was an intermittent problem that has become so frequent now that I am having to give up on my van. I loved this van, but because Dodge cannot diagnose this problem, I need to call it quits and purchase another as I have spent way too much money on this one problem. Once things for sure, it will not be a Dodge. If they do not know what the problem is how can I be sure that this is not a problem that is inherent with all their vehicles.

Review Date: 15th January, 2007