1969 Dodge Charger Reviews

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 426 hemi Manual
Distance when acquired72000 kilometres
Previous carAcura Integra

Summary:

Awesome

New paint, new seat covers, new vacuum for the headlights, new radiator, new timing belt.

General Comments:

It's pretty nuts when you let loose on the freeway. Enough power to hurt your neck. I've gone through 3 sets on the rear in like 3 years. It's too easy to do lay down rubber.

Gas is pretty bad, but I mean what can you expect from a 426?

The cornering is average. but the straight aways are totally awesome.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2005

1969 Dodge Charger R/T 426 hemi from North America

Model year1969
First year of ownership1984
Engine and transmission 426 hemi Manual

Summary:

Better than awesome

The only problem we have had with this Charger was electrical, and the front head lights stopped opening, so I bought the part off eBay.

General Comments:

This car is the third Charger we have had in the family. We have the new 2006 with the SRT-8 6.1 Hemi. I think the new one is faster, considering the cornering of it is far more advanced, but it just doesn't feel like a muscle car should.

The 69 one I only drive in the summer. I love it for the straightaways. But it sometimes has problems shifting into 3rd? Does that mean I have to replace the whole tranny?

Oh, and in case you're wondering what other Charger we have, it is a 1966 440, but it doesn't run, and it is in storage.

Review Date: 20th September, 2005

15th Mar 2010, 13:58

Just rebuild your tranny, it ain't hard bud.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum from North America

Model year1969
Engine and transmission 440 Magnum Automatic
Previous carJeep Grand Wagoneer

Summary:

Great Looker, Gas Guzzler, Money Pit &FUN!!

Let me start by saying I bought it after it sat in a driveway since 1980 with no engine and bad body rust...

Here's what I've either replaced or am soon to replace:

Rebuilt 727 TF 3spd Trans

Brake System

Drive-shaft

Grille &rear valance panel

Paint

A lot of other cosmetic things.

General Comments:

I bought it for $250 and flat-towed it home behind my Jeep which was fairly interesting, pretty comfy except for the spring in the butt feeling.

I have yet to drive it, but I often sit behind the wheel and listen to the motor which is like being teased.

The heater and the air conditioner could be better, but what do you expect from a 40 year old car.

Really set low and it feels like a boat when you look out over that long hood.

Review Date: 9th February, 2005

10th Feb 2005, 15:58

A Charger R/T that came with a 318 eh?

How do you rate reliability or performance on a car that you haven't even driven yet???

1st Mar 2005, 15:12

I was told that it had a 318 by the man I purchased it from so I made the mistake of believing him...

I gave it a 10 for reliability because I can rely on it to empty my pockets, I rated the performance because my brother had one so I know what to expect.

1969 Dodge Charger R\T 426 HEMI from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 426 HEMI Automatic

Summary:

A gas guzzling, family hauling, performance monster!!!

Only thing I did was rip out the tired 383 and put in a 426.

General Comments:

This car is very cool, the performance from the HEMI is enough to give ya whiplash, the 4.10 will let the hemi burn off enough rubber to sealcoat a interstate.

This car does use a lot of gas, but a small price to pay to get this kinda performance.

Review Date: 14th July, 2002

30th Jan 2003, 18:40

Take out the auto and put in the 4-speed. :)

17th May 2005, 22:39

No need to put a four-speed in it. For one thing, the Mopar torqueflites are excellent transmissions. And an automatic car is virtually as fast as a manual one.

22nd Sep 2005, 11:49

How does the hemi perform compared to the 383? and on the charger I think I would rather have an auto with a 727. you don't need a standard to haul with this car. and an auto with the right tranny is almost the same speed. I have driven a 440 the power is great, but I still have to drive a hemi.

25th Oct 2005, 19:31

Well, the original 383 was so tired it could hardly beat my buddies F150 with a 300 Straight 6. I've raced a 440 Car with the Hemi (both automatics) and he nudged infront of me to 60MPH, then I blew past him.