2002 Dodge Dakota Reviews - Page 2 of 5

2002 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.7 V8 Automatic
Previous carDodge Dakota

Summary:

I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

Nothing.

Had the recall done on the front ball joint.

General Comments:

I love this truck. It's a very comfortable truck. It has enough muscle to get the job done. It handles pretty well too.

Review Date: 26th July, 2008

28th Jul 2008, 04:37

I agree this is my second one and I would buy another. I love my Dakota.

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Sport 2WD 3.9 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.9 V6 Automatic
Most recent distance142000 miles
Previous carToyota Pickup

Summary:

There are not enough words to describe how great my Dakota is!

Brake rotors needed to be replaced at 100,000.. which is normal I feel.

And there is a faint squeak when shifted into reverse.

General Comments:

Other than than that, nothing has gone wrong.

I have replaced the seals on the AC and replaced the TPS only because I wanted to.

The truck has never been in the shop, and has never been undrivable 1 day in the 3 years and 1 month I've owned it.

I absolutely love this truck, I have only owned Toyota's my whole life, and I was very apprehensive to buy my first American. This truck has an excellent build quality, interior materials are top notch, and nothing squeaks or gives when pushed on.

The stock stereo is very nice, and the seats are very comfortable. It has a very smooth and comfortable ride, with car like handling and turning radius. The back seat is very roomy and I love the adjustable cup holders. It's simply a pleasure to drive.

It's a bit on the slow side with the V6, but the transmission is so buttery smooth, and with the variable 2nd gear, it does a very good job of accelerating, and it gets decent city mileage... I average 16 city and 18-20 highway.

The only reason for the 9 in running costs is fuel, because other than oil changes and 1 set of tires I have spent only $742.00 in over 3 years on maintenance. I must say that I do not take care of the engine or tranny as I should... no engine cleaning, rarely change fluids, do not perform tune-ups, and no tranny or rear end services, and it just continues to run like new.

The AC blows ice cold, and continues to blow ice cold even when I let the truck idle in hot and humid South Florida. I could go on for days... plain and simply, I love it!

Review Date: 30th June, 2008

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 Automatic

Summary:

A pretty piece of junk, that was worth "maybe", $5k brand new

Wow, where do I start...

Brakes grinding, noticed while in the drive thru at 2k miles, dealer tried to charge me $800.00 plus until I made a observation in the lobby & asked how many here for bad brakes? Little did I know that many hands would go up... then a manager took me in his office & agreed they are defective. I think most of those seniors got suckered.

Wind noise (WHISTLING!) thru front windshield & drivers rear. Started slamming into gear, & all dealer ever said was "working as designed" so I went 90 plus miles to another dealer & all I got was "working as designed".

Sold it with 2 K miles left on warranty, & when I took off my top dollar sheepskins, the seats looked like a 450lb. person sat in them for a WHILE! They were falling apart... I'm 5' 10" 180lbs.

It was definitely the biggest mistake of vehicle ownership.

General Comments:

I thought it looked good, while it slammed into gear. p.s. when I handed the cashiers check over for 24K plus, the guy who took it said "It's yours now". I let it roll off, not quite sure what he meant... 2K miles later, those words started to haunt me.

Review Date: 29th February, 2008

2002 Dodge Dakota from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carHyundai Elantra

I have had nothing, but trouble with this truck, but it is nice to look at. It will not stay running for the life of me. I have taken it back to the dealer I purchased it from and they never found anything wrong with it. They claim they don't find anything wrong with it. Maybe, it is a faulty idle motor like I read in another persons comment. Any help, I would appreciate it.

General Comments:

The truck rides wonderful.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2006

17th Oct 2007, 16:57

Take it to an independent mechanic, and see what he says. Also, for a third opinion, take to ANOTHER dodge dealership. Some have better service departments than others, while some have better sales departments than others, as with any major purchase, shop around for different opinions.

31st Oct 2007, 10:47

I have had my 2002 Dodge Dakota crew cab for over a year and simply love it. The ride is comfortable with plenty of leg room both front and back with comfortable seats.

The one item that I would like to see improved upon is the fan or blower that puts out the heat or air-conditioning could be better. On low or medium it doesn't seem that it does much. It generally has to be on the highest setting.

I would buy another Dodge Dakota in the future.