2002 Dodge Dakota Reviews - Page 3 of 5

2002 Dodge Dakota SXT 3.9 Litre V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 3.9 Litre V6 Manual
Previous carPontiac Grand Am

Summary:

Best looking and best value truck on the market by far!

Before I got the truck, the dealer said they just replaced the master cylinder for the brakes.

I had to replace the driver door locking mechanism.

Stereo stopped tuning correctly, but that did not matter because I put an after market stereo in.

General Comments:

Other than the above, the truck has not given me any problems or reasons to be upset with its reliability or performance.

The V6 engine provides this truck with adequate power for passing and towing small to medium trailers. I would recommend if buying new, to get the automatic transmission if you plan on towing.

The interior is well designed with very few obstructions for fitting 3 people in the cab. The manual shifter is about the only thing to get in the way. The seats are a little uncomfortable for long trips.

This truck inside and out is exceptional. This truck is the most stylish truck on the market in my opinion. I will buy another Dakota as long as they are out there!

Review Date: 7th December, 2005

2002 Dodge Dakota SLT Plus 4.7 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.7 V8 Automatic
Previous carDodge Dakota

Summary:

The Dodge Dakota is truly a diamond in the rough

Upper ball joints were replaced at 18,000 miles.

Heating and cooling system requires constant draining and flushing every 15,000 miles.

Heating and cooling controls broke, but was fixed in under 30 minutes by dealership.

The brake rotors began to warp at 40,000 miles and needed replacing.

Poor electrical design causes my passenger side headlamp to burn out every 10,000 miles.

The truck becomes uncontrollable on uneven pavement while traveling at freeway speeds.

Driver side power window has failed numerous times.

General Comments:

The truck is very powerful when equipped with the 4.7 liter V8 engine.

The fuel economy is poorer than I expected, and has continued to decline over the years.

The Dakota has a very large cabin area, with plenty of room for both passengers.

Review Date: 17th February, 2005

2002 Dodge Dakota small V8 from North America

Engine and transmission small V8 Manual
Previous carDodge Dakota

Summary:

I like it

Severe leakage into the front floor of the passenger side was corrected by showing the dealer similar on line problems. The cause was a faulty drain arrangement on the air conditioning system. Fortunately this was still in warranty and was fully corrected by the dealer.

At 55000 miles (out of warranty) I had to replace the steering rack because of seal leakage into the bellows boots. The cost to correct this was 30% higher from the dealer than from an independent certified repair facility. I was told that the whole unit required replacement because they don't replace the seals. Would someone confirm this?

At the same time I had to replace the front rotors because of severe pitting and grooving, noting that the brake pads had very little wear. The repair facility credited this to "Chrysleritis"

Aside from the problems I thoroughly enjoy driving my Dakota. It has a 5 speed manual transmission with a V-8 (not a Hemi), and bucket seats. It's rather hard to change familiar habits having started on a farm at 12, and still, driving at 70.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2004

9th Aug 2005, 16:59

How did you manage to get the A/C drain pan problem repaired under warranty?? My dealership charges me $40-$60 to clean out the drain. What was the "fix?"

Ken Schultz.

22nd Aug 2011, 12:52

I don't know about the Dakota, but a Jeep Cherokee A/C will dump water in the floorboard, and the dealer will drill a hole in the heater air box and blow it open with an air hose. This corrects the problem until the algae builds up again and the water returns. I fixed the problem by using a syringe and injecting about 50ml of bleach into the hole the dealer drilled. The bleach killed the algae, and the problem never returned.

2002 Dodge Dakota SXT 3.9L Magnum V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.9L Magnum V6 Manual
Previous carNissan Pathfinder

Summary:

I should have kept my 1991 Nissan SEV6 truck and drove it to North Carolina

I realized that my passenger side floor board was flooding roughly 400 miles into my purchase. It was still under warranty, but I was unable to take it back to the original dealer since I was driving across country to my new Duty Station.

100 miles after that, my right turn signal magically turned on my emergency 4 way lights. It occureed sporadically at first, but the farther I drove across country, the worse it got.

My truck "jumps" if I gradually accelerate. I haven't yet dealt with this problem since the local dealership seems to be full enough trying to deal with my electrical problem.

4,000 miles into my purchase, my left brake light stopped working, unless I first put on the left turn signal. When my right turn signal works, my left break light works. Probably the same electrical short the turn signal.

General Comments:

If you live in North Carolina, you're required to get a State Inspection sticker to show that your car or truck is truly road worthy.

I honestly don't know how it passed. I've seen the local Dodge dealer twice. The first problem, the flooded passenger floorboard, was a four hour fix. The second problem they didn't understand and required a my car on another day.

They claimed to have fixed it. The moment they drove my truck out of the shop, I checked my turn signal and brake light. It didn't work.

I'm still waiting for my third appointment.

Review Date: 13th September, 2004

20th Apr 2006, 06:14

I have owned a 2002 Dodge Dakota SXT for over 2 years now. Fortunately, I haven't had many problems out of it, with the exceptions of the flooding passenger floor board. I have had it off road a few times and assumed that I had punctured a small hole in the floor board or caused a seal to go bad. I have found nothing wrong yet and I am still looking for what could be wrong. I am glad to know now that I may not be a fault for this and will broaden my search for the leak. Any suggestions you might have, please post.

Everything else with the truck has performed great. Off roading was incredible. I even found myself driving through places I had to pull jeeps out of. Towing and normal driving is exceptional. I drive just under 80 miles a day to and from work with no problems what so ever. I am overall pleased with it and will continue to purchase alike products.

2nd Dec 2006, 19:25

I know this message is kind of old, but I had the same problem with my 2002 Dakota. Basically you clogged you're air conditiniors drip line so it's backing up and dripping on the passenger floorboard. Lucky for me I was still under warranty and they even replaced the carpet which was smelling moldy. The padding under the carpet had absorbed so much water it was 3 inches thick.